s12 rage report, need help

All,

thanks for everything so far. I have done a lot of reading and did some modding already. but need a bit of help.

I picked up an S12 a couple of months ago. As it was far too nasty to take it out, I did some pre-emptive modding. The gun is a stock 3 port. the 3rd port was obstructed by the FSB. I removed the base, drilled through all 3 holes, one was actually not drilled all the way through. And then opened up the hole on the fsb so all ports are now un covered.

I did a little bit of light polishing on the bolt head. More a clean up than removing any material. If nothing else, the wear spots are now shiny.

I live in mass, standard trigger arrangement. gas port on setting 2.

Cleaned it up. Oiled it up and finally off to the range after a LONG wait. Using the 5 round mag.

Using a mix of ammo all 2 3/4. target loads, buck shot, birdshot.

It would cycle the buck most consistantly, but the bolt seems to get hung up on the barrel extension. The bolt was able to be pushed closed and it would go bang.

stove pipes on both the buck and target ammo, probably 60%+ of the time. It cycled (somewhat) everytime.

A few times it was not picking the round out of the magazine. recycling, it would feed.

I can not load mag on closed bolt.

The question is where to go from here?

This was the first trip to the range. Proabably a total of about 40 rounds through it. Should I just keep working through this and consider it a break in period? Or should I start polishing to possibly relieve some friction?

Thanks in advance!!!

• 4 weeks later...

All,

thanks for everything so far. I have done a lot of reading and did some modding already. but need a bit of help.

I picked up an S12 a couple of months ago. As it was far too nasty to take it out, I did some pre-emptive modding. The gun is a stock 3 port. the 3rd port was obstructed by the FSB. I removed the base, drilled through all 3 holes, one was actually not drilled all the way through. And then opened up the hole on the fsb so all ports are now un covered.

I did a little bit of light polishing on the bolt head. More a clean up than removing any material. If nothing else, the wear spots are now shiny.

I live in mass, standard trigger arrangement. gas port on setting 2.

Cleaned it up. Oiled it up and finally off to the range after a LONG wait. Using the 5 round mag.

Using a mix of ammo all 2 3/4. target loads, buck shot, birdshot.

It would cycle the buck most consistantly, but the bolt seems to get hung up on the barrel extension. The bolt was able to be pushed closed and it would go bang.

stove pipes on both the buck and target ammo, probably 60%+ of the time. It cycled (somewhat) everytime.

A few times it was not picking the round out of the magazine. recycling, it would feed.

I can not load mag on closed bolt.

The question is where to go from here?

This was the first trip to the range. Proabably a total of about 40 rounds through it. Should I just keep working through this and consider it a break in period? Or should I start polishing to possibly relieve some friction?

Thanks in advance!!!

Just keep breaking it in with the high brass and hand cycle the crap out of it. How many of the rounds of buck did you shoot? If most of the 40 rounds where target and bird shot, FTE's are common on a new gun. Many

S-12's are very picky with the low brass. Most will recomend using federal low brass over the winchester. As far as loading a mag on a closed bolt, check out Paulys glass bolt work. Sounds like you almost there.

Use slugs or double ought buck on gas setting one until the thing cycles reliably. Take it from there. Two or three hundred rounds is not unreasonable to break it in. If that doesn't cut it, tweak the bolt/carrier/trigger group with some polishing. If still problems look at the gas holes, and try one of the aftermarket gas plugs.

I had trouble with mine the first time I shot it too. The cheap low brass worked consistently, but I had trouble with the buckshot. I put about 50 rounds of buckshot through it and about 50 birdshot. I definitely noticed a difference as I shot the gun. With the first mag, every round FTE. After about 100 rounds, I was down to 1 out of 5 FTE per mag. I have heard the break-in period is somewhere around 200-300 rounds. I have recently converted mine, so it gives me another reason to go test it out. I will let you know how it does tomorrow, but I would definitely put a few hundred rounds through it first, before I started looking for something to fix (unless you have upgrades already planned).