Picture of Boggy Head Creek.

Are there fees to use this range? Just this one (100yrd?)range, or other distances too? Do they have target stands, or do you have to bring your own?

No fees. Its total length at the berm is 100yrds (that the big dirt pile in the back). Bring your own targets/election signs/real estate signs. No water filled jugs allowed.

Oh damn.. I just asked if it was boggy head in your other topic- recognized it instantly! Was there two weeks ago. Is twin ponds still closed due to the brush fire cleansing?

Dont know but Twin Ponds is my next visit. I called today to locate BH and the woman was very polite with me. Im sure if I call TP :lolol: they will also show me the same Southern Charm!

let me know, if it's open I may go. TP is my go to range (about 15 minute drive instead of 25 for BH) but the last time I drove out to it (2 weeks back) they had just done a controlled burn and it was closed until further notice.. So I went to BH. TP is identical in every way except the car park is a bit farther back.

And sunny- it's as close to no rules as possible.. (I actually didn't know about the water jug thing but I only bring paper targets taped to cardboard boxes there anyway) People tend to put anything anywhere. Heard stories of RC cars with balloons tied to them, little boats in puddles, and I've found bits of various electronics and all sorts of other things. Problem with the rule breakers is they tend to mess the place up, they even shoot the billboards and trashcans sometimes..

On the upside from the messy people there are normally plenty of tennis and golf balls and cans laying around which I like to shoot but never bring myself.

And I havn't seen any incidents with people being irresponsible about going cold which is nice since it's unsupervised and that worried me a bit.

Only bad experience I've had is one time BH was full and when I waited and took my spot some jackass harassed me saying I'd cut him until I gave up and left. (he pulled up about 10 minutes into me waiting).

Oh man, this is the place I've been wanting to go to since I moved down here!!! I'm about an hour away (I think?). I'm in Myrtle Beach.

Maybe you guys can clarify some things for me.........

- I knew you had to bring your own targets, but what is the policy with steel targets? No go?

- Since there's no range officer, how do you change/check targets? Just get a general consensus of other shooters on when to make the shooting line "cold" so you can walk down range? I've never been to an outdoor public range with no range officer present.

- I remember someone telling me "Be prepared to walk about 70 yards from where you park your car, to the actual range. But your pic looks like the parking lot is right up behind the tables. Maybe they were talking about the other range at Francis Marion?

- Which one would be closer for me, coming straight down 17 from Myrtle Beach?

- A guy on Arfcom said something along the lines of "Sometimes you see some shady looking people there. I carry a concealed piece that I don't unholster to shoot while I'm there. Just for precaution". What do you think about that? Sound accurate? I still don't have a CWP yet, but I've been told you can carry concealed while you're actually at a shooting range, even without a CWP. I have a Crossbreed Supertuck for my G19/23, so I'm covered there.

- What are the busy days, times, months, etc?

Tons of questions, I know. But I haven't been able to find many people who frequent that place, and I've been curious about it since I heard about it. Paying crazy high prices (and sometimes waiting forever) to shoot at the only 2 indoor ranges near me is getting old.

Yeah, twin ponds would be closer for you I believe, it's on 17 (more or less).. Busy time is any time people are off work, if you can get out there on a workday at midday you often get it to yourself (I have a wierd job and enjoy this). TP does have about a 70 yard walk from the car park- I've never thought of it as being a problem but now that you mention it is a bit inconvenient. I've only seen a "shady" looking character once and he wound up being really friendly, although he was handling a loaded revolver on a "cold" range behind the firing line, that's actually the most concerned I've ever been. Also see cops practice there on some of my visits- I think one of the sniper schools uses BH, they tend to only fire about 10 rounds and leave.

Cold is done by a general consensus.. Pretty much if someone asks, everyone obeys, they tend to be nice people. I've never seen anyone be an ass about it at TP or BH, but I'm sure it happens, seen it at another range in the upstate. Something else that might wierd you out about cold is guns are often left on the table pointing down range. Other ranges I've visited had racks for storing rifles during cold.. but at TP and BH they tend to just be left- mags out and bolts open normally, but it's still wierd looking back and the line and seeing the muzzle end of a bunch of guns. People are good about not touching their rifles during cold, otherwise I'd be really concerned. As it is, I've never felt unsafe, except for that one revolver guy.

Don't know about steel targets- but I've seen it done and even seen some left before (although rarely), most people use paper so maybe there is a rule.

TP closes "until further notice" sometimes.. Havn't had that happen at BH but then again I go to TP a lot more.

Basically, unless you get really unlucky your probably gonna have fun- it's very laid back and apart from that one incident people are pretty safe.

Go to google maps and put in coordinates 33.051097,-79.640365

Outa give you what you need. Should take you to Willow Hall road, the big field just off it is TP.

Edited by volkov
  • Like 1

Yeah, twin ponds would be closer for you I believe, it's on 17 (more or less).. Busy time is any time people are off work, if you can get out there on a workday at midday you often get it to yourself (I have a wierd job and enjoy this). TP does have about a 70 yard walk from the car park- I've never thought of it as being a problem but now that you mention it is a bit inconvenient. I've only seen a "shady" looking character once and he wound up being really friendly, although he was handling a loaded revolver on a "cold" range behind the firing line, that's actually the most concerned I've ever been. Also see cops practice there on some of my visits- I think one of the sniper schools uses BH, they tend to only fire about 10 rounds and leave.

Cold is done by a general consensus.. Pretty much if someone asks, everyone obeys, they tend to be nice people. I've never seen anyone be an ass about it at TP or BH, but I'm sure it happens, seen it at another range in the upstate. Something else that might wierd you out about cold is guns are often left on the table pointing down range. Other ranges I've visited had racks for storing rifles during cold.. but at TP and BH they tend to just be left- mags out and bolts open normally, but it's still wierd looking back and the line and seeing the muzzle end of a bunch of guns. People are good about not touching their rifles during cold, otherwise I'd be really concerned. As it is, I've never felt unsafe, except for that one revolver guy.

Don't know about steel targets- but I've seen it done and even seen some left before (although rarely), most people use paper so maybe there is a rule.

TP closes "until further notice" sometimes.. Havn't had that happen at BH but then again I go to TP a lot more.

Basically, unless you get really unlucky your probably gonna have fun- it's very laid back and apart from that one incident people are pretty safe.

Go to google maps and put in coordinates 33.051097,-79.640365

Outa give you what you need. Should take you to Willow Hall road, the big field just off it is TP.

What he said.

I would prolly only go during the week since im in Charleston and its a 45 to 60 min drive for me either way.

• Like 1

BH is probably closer to you then. From my limitted experience it's more crowded, though I've only been there a couple of times when TP WASN'T closed.. of course it's packed when TP is closed.. I think it tends to be more popular in general because it's closer for charleston/north charleston whereas TP is better for us who live miles down 17.

also less lazy now, so heres the BH coordinates for any interested

33.214137,-79.762491

Edited by volkov
  • Like 1

Thanks a ton for the info, fellas. Hopefully I can make it out that way sometime soon. Gotta wait until I get assigned to a squad at work, and then I'll have some days off during the week, so hopefully I can get in there when it's not crowded.

• 2 weeks later...

Took a random trip out to Twin Ponds this afternoon (those GPS coordinates were spot on, thanks again!). Not a bad range, although there was garbage everywhere. Definitely gonna have to go back when I get the new S12 completely back together. Still can't wait to try out Pauly's Glass Bolt mod I had done on it.

Got to put about 500 rounds through my G19 and about 75 through my G23. I've never put that many through my Glocks in one trip. I think I'm going to end up sanding down a slight relief in right side of the trigger guard where my middle finger rubs it. I got a huge blister on it. :lolol: (Yeah, yeah, I know; quit being a woman and toughen up, right? :lol: )

Anyway, we had a great time. Maybe next time I'll give Boggy Head a try.

............and oh yeah, I found out that shooting a G19 at 100 yards is pretty fun. After the first hit into the dirt, I could readjust and was hitting a 2-ish foot square piece of target fairly consistently. Shooting off the reset made it easier.

post-5916-0-52458900-1304115058_thumb.jpg

Edited by -Shooter-