the saiga 308 and 180 grain bullets

had somebody tell me on here in the past that the short 16 inch barrel couldn't stabilize a bullet heavier than 168 grain.

was just wondering if anybody had anything to contradict.

i found some great priced ammo but it's 180 grain and is useless if it's not accurate.

anybody tried the 148 grain silver bear soft points in 308?

i use their 7.62x39 and i love it!

these are factory loads.

i'm sure they will function fine just hope they are accurate.

hell might just get the silver bear 148 grain. they are about $1.20 a box cheaper. but they are "shit laquer" sealed and steel cased. the 180's are brass cased commercial loads. no damn sealer. but like i said before i've shot the hell out of silver bear in my mak90 and i love it! only thing is all of it is "bi-metal"=excessive rifling wear.

may order a little of both and see which is better.

thanks guys!

thanks for the reassurance brg3

i've always had that in the back of my mind but something keeps worrying me.

so i guess i need to stay away from "laquer" in my mini 14 then?

thought about some silver bear in my mini 14 but i hate that primer sealant getting all over the fcg and bolt. thats what i was referring to "shit laquer".

cause evertime i go to clean my gun i say "SHIT" laquer sealant everywhere.

and that goes for the ak's too.

i know it won't hurt em but it's a bitch to clean everytime.

i think i'm gonna go ahead and order the silver bear or some golden bear seems how i recently read a test on the silver bear casing that failed corrosiveness.

not the powder or the primer but the zinc plated casing itself became unfireable after exposure to moisture for 24 hours. the plating "washed" off and the steel corroded overnight.

however, some "unsealed" winchester rounds were submerged for 24 hours, removed and fired just fine.

proof that all that damn "shit laquer" sealant around the bullet and the primer is USELESS.

i've never had any problems with the casings of my silver bear, just make sure it never ever gets wet.

i had some silver bear in 7.62x54r that started turning a matte rough gray color after being handled alot.

they started out mirror shiny.

thats why i'm thinking about going to golden bear. all the benefits of silver bear without the worry of cases corroding. then, like i said before, my newer 7.62x39 silver bear has not done this.

• 1 year later...

The twist rate of Saiga is adaquate for heavier bullets however you lose velocity. Sorry to hear about your problems with Silver Bear - perhaps it is a function of your humidity - gold vs silver bear ammo should tarnish at similar rates as they are both just a thin plating.

can this baby accurately launch a 180 grain projectile?

i've heard that it can and that it can't.

whats the real deal?

i need to know AS SOON AS POSSIBLE guys!

thanks

I've fired Black Hills 175gr. BTHP out of mine.

Dead-on accurate at 100 yards.

180 should be, as well.

The Bear ammos. are dirty, propellent-wise; tend to be hotter than other loads; and in my experience, less accurate (possibly because they're hot).

I run Golden Bear 62gr. BTSP through my AR15s with 0-incidents.

Nice and hot :devil:

can this baby accurately launch a 180 grain projectile?

i've heard that it can and that it can't.

whats the real deal?

i need to know AS SOON AS POSSIBLE guys!

thanks

The short answer is Yes - it will launch them and they will probably be pretty accurate out to 2-300 yards, especially with a longer barrel. The problem is, S-308's have a 1:12 rate of twist which is best suited for middle of the weight range .308 bullets (145 - 165-ish grains) moving at mid-range velocity (2300-2600 fps). 180+ grainers are a long range bullet used more to buck wind than anything else. However, in any barrel length under about 24", a muzzle velocity under 2600fps and a twist rate slower than 1:11, it is not going to give the desired results much past 250 - 300. That said - as long as they fit into the magazines, they should cycle the action just fine and be reasonably accurate at ranges under 300 yds.