Quick detach optic mount alignment - need help

I purchsed new a quick detach scope mount for my S-12 and installed it with a red dot scope. I took it out to site and pattern it getting ready for turkey season (taking the kid out in a few weeks). The red dot is adjusted all the way and it's still hitting ~10" low at about 15 yards. I gave the mount a good look and it doesn't seem to be bend out of shape. I mounted the red dot on my AR and had no issue getting it to align. With the gun in a vise the scope has plenty of adjustment range. It seems to me the issue is either the new mount or the positioning of the quick detach rail on the S-12. The rail hasn't been moved from the factory. I'm kinda thinking the problem is with the rail positioning and not the mount. I never had the rail off, is there slop in it before the rivits are crushed? I'm thinking I need to drill out the rivits and reposition it. I figured I'd get some input from the forum before getting into that.

Anyone else have an issue like this? I'm open to suggestions.

Edited by hick

I purchsed new a quick detach scope mount for my S-12 and installed it with a red dot scope. I took it out to site and pattern it getting ready for turkey season (taking the kid out in a few weeks). The red dot is adjusted all the way and it's still hitting ~10" low at about 15 yards. I gave the mount a good look and it doesn't seem to be bend out of shape. I mounted the red dot on my AR and had no issue getting it to align. With the gun in a vise the scope has plenty of adjustment range. It seems to me the issue is either the new mount or the positioning of the quick detach rail on the S-12. The rail hasn't been moved from the factory. I'm kinda thinking the problem is with the rail positioning and not the mount. I never had the rail off, is there slop in it before the rivits are crushed? I'm thinking I need to drill out the rivits and reposition it. I figured I'd get some input from the forum before getting into that.

Anyone else have an issue like this? I'm open to suggestions.

Pull the dust cover. Is the rail parallel to the top of the the reciever? If you do not have a caliper, use a pair of vice grips and the punch that comes in the cleaning kit. Put the hammer end of the punch on the rail and clamp the vice grips to it so the jaw of the vice grip is resting on the reciever. Use this as a gauge. The front and back should be exactly the same.There are 3 rivits holding the rail, so moving it is not easy. Most likely your mount needs shimming. I don't knw what mount you have but most can be fixed with beer can shims.

It's highly unlikely the side rail is the problem, way way more probable it's the side mount you are using. I'd try shimming as GOB suggested or get a different side mount before I'd remove the factory rail.

Z

Thanks for the rail info, I'll have to measure it. The mount is from CCS, link below. I did shim it with some flashing under the rear of the scope ring but as it raised up the V groves on the sides of the pic rail canted the scope to the point where the windage alignment was to far out (as the elevation came in the windage went out). At that point I gave up on the shims. Did I place the shims where you were thinking?

http://store.carolin...-PROFILE/Detail

Edited by hick
  • 3 weeks later...