Red Jacket- Great Products?? We'll see..but weak link in Customer

It was recommended to me to post this in the feedback forum as well:

Well I dont know what more to do at this point so I figured I'd just let others know of my problems so perhaps they can take this into consideration.

Back in when I bought my saiga 12 I had only one intention, and that was to get a professional conversion done by a top notch shop. Tromix was top of my life and as I began to email Tony he, or a member of his team were able to respond to my questions SAME DAY! In my mind they were the ones I wanted to do this build. Unfortunately at the time he had stopped taken orders and I was looking at waiting 3 months before I could potentially get an order in. So my search began to see if there was another shop out there that had similar builds and were known for their quality and innovation. I reached out to all the various builders listed here as well as a few other had recommended to me, and after talking to them all only 2 shops were able to do the 8in build i wanted and of which only 1 shop would take the order as they claimed they had availability on their build list.....this was RJ. Their show had just started and with that I saw a video of the shop that showed all these personnel working under their orginzation taking orders, the website guys, the builders, the owners, so fourth and so on...and I thought to myself..."Hey awesome!! These guys have a great shop, a great reputation, and with their show I can actually put a name and face behind this build." So with confidence I called back to place my order.

Upon placing my order I things were a shaky. I was supposed to get a confirmation of the ordedr as I had some difficulty communicating with the person taking my order exactly what I wanted.

Well I waited a day, then another, so then I called back. Upon speaking with the admin who answered my call, she told me I hadnt made a payment...this upset me as I was looking at my bank statement showing the $1300+ that had been pulled from my account by RJ in days prior, yet she's telling me they hadnt processed my order. So she then transferred me to Stephanie....Thinking to myself "Ah great, from the show I can tell she's the head honcho on the business end of things!, surely she'll straighten this out!" and she did...she found my order, and I gave her my Class 3 dealers contact information...who had already forwarded over his SOT..in the mean while...she got it all processed...was even kind enough to answer the questions I had about transferring an NFA item between dealers and gave me a build time expectancy...and assured me that since this was an NFA, these builds get priority and take 8-14 weeks depending on how long ATF paper work takes. I thanked her for time and for providing me the information I needed and then sent them in my saiga 12 to be wrenched on. My dealings with her were very professional.

A few days later I got a call from "Vince", another name I could put a face to from the show and had a few quick questions for me about my build. We spoke, and was telling me he was looking at my saiga 12 i had sent in with the SOT papers attached and wanted to review my build just to make sure I was getting exactly what I wanted. He was very professional as he inquired about what kind of flash hider I wanted and so fourth. He then said since this was an NFA item it ti would probably be built sooner than later and then we just have to wait on the forms to be approved before it could be sent to my dealer. Once again another great interaction with good customer service. I felt confident from here on out because I knew my gun was in the hands to get me what I wanted.

The following day a call comes from a gentleman from in the shop....He is calling inquiring about paying for the build again. I assured him I had paid it up front, since that was the RJ policy for any NFA, class 3....basically not your "standard item." He then told me he would look into it and get back with me. He called me the following day and was very professional and apologized for the mix up as he did confirm I had paid for the work on the rifle. I was appreciative of him to investigate into it as I know he was a guy just building rifles and not an admin, yet he investigated into the paperwork anyways. So once again I had no hard feelings at all and felt everything was handled professionally.

Lets fast forward to now.....We are over the 8 week mark and I'm getting all excited and worked up about the possibility that my rifle might be nearing completion. I know it's on the early end of the time frame they gave me but I figured I'd see where they are at anyways. I saw on the RJ website there was an email address with instructions on how to email in and find the status of your build. So I emailed status@redjacketfirearms.com with all the information requested and waited for a response. Well a day goes by, then another, then another, then a week. So at this point I figured what the hell, I'll just call in and see if someone can find out for me. So I called in and inquired. I was told I they would call me back as soon as possible the next day I hadnt heard anythign so I called back and asked again and they then informed me it takes 48 hours to find out the status of a build check. So 2 days go by and I never got a call back...I then feeling highly frustrated wrote this post with some innapproiate comments which looking back upon now, wasnt the smartest idea. Had I know I could have contacted will Directly on this forum, I would have done so.

I will admit I should probably be a litle more patient in the future...but being this is my first custom built gun and nfa item I am still learning the time frames and how things are done.

I can only hope and pray my gun is as awesome as the initial picture I feel in love with...I can also only hope it comes back to me with the right build I requested...and sometime before 2012....because what's the point of having an awesome zombie slayer if it isnt by your side in prepartion for the zombie Apocalypse!! hahah

The build I'm waiting on is this with + a few goodies :)

ZK_12_GA.jpg

Edited by Saiga_Genesis

That's a hell of a fine looking shotgun...I think with a huge expansion in orders that they broke an essential rule "Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance" and now the increase in orders has left some orders getting booted for higher profile jobs...sounds like maybe some additional manufacturing staff is needed, although that government paperwork is a real bitch of a nail biter...best of luck man.

Well after all you did pick, probably, the most busy company right now to build your gun. You seem to have been treated pretty well so far and your rifle isnt past due yet is it?

With all due respect I think you are being a little picky and impatient. Remember patience is a virtue. :angel: take a deep breath, find something to occupy your time so you dont worry about your rifle all day. Trust me, we all understand the feeling of waiting on a prized possesion to arrive. POST PICS WHEN YOU GET IT! I bet its gonna run like hell and look sexy.

after all.....you could be waiting on etac/goguns. :eek:

Edited by Chevyman097
  • Like 1

I've never spoke with Kat, but the few RJ firearms I've seen (and the one SBS I shot) was definitely top notch. They know their stuff for sure. I'm positive you'll be happy with the SBS you get from them.

One a side note, I found the LimbSaver pad really helps, though when combined with the folding mechanism, it DID make the LOP a tad long for me.

Wow S G , that's a lot . In reading over your novel , I can't help but feel that we are just not the company for you . Please contact me directly so that I can expedite the refund for your canceled order [ I just canceled it for you ]. P.M. me on this board and I assure you , I will get you wrapped up same day . We're done . Thanks ,Will

• Like 3

Guess you'll crap if you get a notification that a certain supplier of a part needed is back ordered. 3 + years ago before the boom/big time status, it took upto 6 + months for a custom build, with prepayment. Extended, if parts wait. Took, 13 months from payment to rifle shipped. (ACE stock back order.) Return calls, or e-mails sometime took a upto 3 days. Never got excited, been around custom work for too long rest is just a waiting thing. :smoke: P.S. Any glitch has always been handled quick.

Edited by Ruffian72

I would like to appolgize for the untasteful color comentary of my intial post directed at the young lady I was having my frustrations with. I have edited it to be more appropiate. In the future since I've learned I can contact Will directly here, I will go to him with any of my major concerns. I hope that I can make ammends as i still do beleive RJ is a top notch shop capable of procuding a first class build I was looking for.

• Like 7

I would like to appolgize for the untasteful color comentary of my intial post directed at the young lady I was having my frustrations with. I have edited it to be more appropiate. In the future since I've learned I can contact Will directly here, I will go to him with any of my major concerns. I hope that I can make ammends as i still do beleive RJ is a top notch shop capable of procuding a first class build I was looking for.

Good enough for me . Thank you . Now we can get back to the job at hand :) . I pm'd you with my private e-mail addy , get with me Monday so I can get this unfucked . Will

• Like 9

Very big of you, Saiga Genesis, for admitting you jumped the gun with your comments, and you, Will, for accepting his apology. One of these days when I get the money for an SBS, I know where it will be spent.

• Like 2

Will's a top notch builder, and a top-notch guy. He's taken the time to personally answer a whole slew of questions for me over the phone in the past, and repaired my badly fucked second-hand 8" SBS under warranty without batting an eyelash, and refinished it at no charge because he said he wanted me to have the new gun experience. I'd be happy to wait a year for another RJF build. It's not easy to eat your words, so good on you. You will be very happy with your shotgun.

• 4 weeks later...

Will,is the 1300 ball park price for sbs in the post from sg,plus furnishing stock gun?What is the normal ordering prosses e-mail phone call etc.?I like the one in his post a lot Also like your show,never miss it.Hope tou and s.g. get unfucked!

For that version , it's using a customer supplied gun . I think our base SBS's start in the 15ish range . A phone call is the way to start it . Thanks man , Will