Sweet Home Alabama, the Heart of Dixie!

Down here in Mobile, LA... Yeah thats right, LA, not AL, thats how we roll down here... Lower Alabama :smoke:

Edited by ChileRelleno

Sweet Home Alabama, the Heart of Dixie!

Dwon here in Mobile, LA... Yeah thats right, LA, not AL, thats how we roll down here... Lower Alabama :smoke:

Hot damn, knew I had seen it. Might be headed that way in a move, supposed to shack up around Bham. Will have to see what the final location turns out to be.

I live in birmingham. Its not that bad, depending on where you end up. If you have kids don't live in birmingham proper, try to get in a city over the mountain (south of town). Birmingham and the county for that matter, are pretty well fucked, school wise.

http://www.alabamaopencarry.com/

They have the laws posted, and they know them and all related, by heart.

Whether you CC or OC, you need to know AL's carry laws and the related laws, e.g. being trespassed by a property owner/etc.

AL's laws are badly written, seemingly contradictory, easily and often misunderstood/misinterpreted by LEOs.

Know the actual codes/laws, know your Rights under AL Constitution/Law and stand up for your Rights.

If I was to suggest one thing, it would be... Know how the Sheriff of your County views the Laws/Rights of gun owners.

Pick your County based on this, their word is almost law pertaining to whether you can get a CC permit or whether they'll sign NFA Forms.

Sheriff doesn't NEED a reason to deny, even if your 100% legit, AL is 'May Issue'.

Know how they've instructed their deputies to handle lawful firearms/gun owners and 'Person with Gun' calls.

Some are ignorant assholes, some are just as pro-gun as we are... Know which is which.

Most are somewhere in-between and fairly cool, mine is great.

Same goes for local Police Depts.

I strongly recommend getting your AL CC permit.

It negates a whole lot of potential problems when you have a handgun in a vehicle, for any reason.

That is one piece of law that they can be real dicks about if they wish.

No CC permit and you'd better damned well have it locked away in the trunk, ammo separate and be going somewhere.

We are trying hard to get the State Legislature to re-write the laws into concise, easily understood and not easily open to interpretation.

One plus we do have is that there is no pre-emption over State law, even though they have/do try at times.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 2

Like Elvis said, DO NOT live inside the B'ham city limits if you have kids. The school system sucks shit threw a straw, and only enroll your kids there if they need to learn how to deal dope, use dope, drink or become a HO. The southern part of Jefferson county, is the preppy side, housing is higher, and most, not all, but most of the people are snobs that think their shit don't stink. The county schools (jefferson) are Ok, if you get a little farther south to shelby county, it's Ok too, but growing like hell and traffic coming in and out at rush hour is worse than a bitch. Stay the hell away from Hwy 280, just outside B'ham and into Shelby county, on past that, down 280, it's pretty nice and laid back. The Leeds area is not too bad. The Trussville area USED to be nice and laid back, now, they are trying to be another Hoover or Vestavia hills. (rich bitch wanna be). Stay away from Center Point, (little Mexico) Tarrant City, (the Hood) or west B'ham,(the Real Hood). The sheriffs here are for the most part pretty cool, chief sheriff IS gun friendly and doesn't have a problem signing off on "toys". On mine, they called to ask general questions, then said to come pick up my paperwork. CC permits are only $7.50 a year. If you can find something out in the "county", MOST times it's OK, but hey, we is rednecks. :) and the nicest part about living out in the county, I can blast away and nobody bitches, because they do it too. :) It all boils down to what you want, as far as being close to shopping and such and where you'll be working, depending on where you decide to live, you may be going against the flow of traffic, which makes it nice. But all in all, it ain't such a bad place to live, a hell of a lot better than some I've seen.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, spike is up there in the foothills with all the shine stills. Why ya'll think they put a Nasa site in Hunstville, they are draining all the shine to fuel the space shuttle. :) My uncle Grady worked there when they where sending them to the moon. All of us kids used to raise hell to go visit his him back then, just to listen to him tell us about what was going on with the moon shots.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Checking in from Athens... Recently re-engaged in the firearms interest and have focused on the fascinating AK and all it's derivatives. I started with an AMD-85 last summer, doing various mods, then tackled a Saiga 7.62 restoration to a russian red configuration. Just finished threading the end of the barrel last night after receiving my kit from CNC Warrior. Worked like a champ.

Have been taking advantage of the Christmas sales to stock of for future projects. I have one of the $499.00 Saiga 12's inbound from Classic Arms, a $452.00 (delivered) IZ-332 from Atlantic Firearms and a Heavy Barrell Mosin Nagant barrel and receiver from Classic Arms ($99.00) for a super accurate rifle build in 7.62/54R. Along the way have picked up a Russiand SKS (Izmash Factory 1954R) as well as a round receiver Mosin Nagant (that is my project today.. break down and clean up cosmoline).

Very interesting stuff and I am learning a lot (which is one of my goals). Hope to be able to work with some of you in the future as we pursue our mutiual interest!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Havent been to Bombingham nor "monkey town" in a long time.

Lived and still own property in Salem (Lee County). Currently in country in GA.

Previous poster who talked about country is "right on".

A haul to the PO,but love stepping out my door to my own private range. Its legal to shoot on one's own property and everybody does it- Safely.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

CHecking in from Gadsden.Yep,our laws are all jacked up but once you figure them out,it ain't that bad.You can Open carry with no license state wide.Step foot in a vehicle and your CCW so beware.Doesn't matter if your in a convertable with the gun on the dash,It is still CCW!Also,per state law and constitution,NO county or City may limit,restrict,or control ANY guns unless there is a state law on it.City and Counties may only reenforce states laws not go even one inch past.So,by law,you CAN carry CCW or open in County and local court houses and municiple buildings that are NOT federal or state buildings.....but I wouldn't push that button.Right now we are trying to get it so employees can have guns in their locked vehicles without being fired.Some jackass peice of trash from brookwood blocked it.Ironically he was a tea party republican(I DON"T think the tea party will be backing him anymore after that Benidict Arnold move) and my state offical here in Gadsden is the one that wrote the bill up.....a democrap.....

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...