Airsoft accessories vs non-airsoft accessories

But not everyone needs a quad-rail for their shotgun or rifle to hang a bunch of stuff off of... And that stuff may be Chinese made airsoft sights, lasers, optics, flashlights, grips or bipods. If it makes people happy because they get a cool looking shotgun to post in the pictures forum, then I don't see the harm in that.

There is lots of harm in posting cool pics of an airsofted out firearm though. A ton of folks on here are very uneducated when it comes to firearms so they think that shit is good to go for a self-defense weapon which it isn't. Even for a recreation weapon, notice I didn't say toy, a failure with something like an airsoft bipod or VFG could cause a round to go somewhere where it wasn't intended. That could be a very bad thing. My son had a laser on an airsoft rifle he wanted me to fix as it would project randomly all over the place. There was no fixing to it as the lens was rattling around. Put that on your real weapon? Another very bad thing. Looked pretty cool though! (Sarcasm. ) See my point?

ETA: The laser problem I referred to could happen to those knockoff optics as well. Something to think about if you are using one for a primary sighting system.

Edited by MT Predator
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have a red dot on a shotgun? You realize that's like putting a laser on a hand grenade right?

I was thinking about putting the wheels and tires from my sons race car bed on my car.

If I may, I think BD's point is that he saved $93 by trying the airsoft gripod and realizing that he didn't like the ergonomics. If he did like the ergos, and bought the real deal, he would have only

Posted Images

But not everyone needs a quad-rail for their shotgun or rifle to hang a bunch of stuff off of... And that stuff may be Chinese made airsoft sights, lasers, optics, flashlights, grips or bipods. If it makes people happy because they get a cool looking shotgun to post in the pictures forum, then I don't see the harm in that.

There is lots of harm in posting cool pics of an airsofted out firearm though. A ton of folks on here are very uneducated when it comes to firearms so they think that shit is good to go for a self-defense weapon which it isn't. Even for a recreation weapon, notice I didn't say toy, a failure with something like an airsoft bipod or VFG could cause a round to go somewhere where it wasn't intended. That could be a very bad thing. My son had a laser on an airsoft rifle he wanted me to fix as it would project randomly all over the place. There was no fixing to it as the lens was rattling around. Put that on your real weapon? Another very bad thing. Looked pretty cool though! (Sarcasm. ) See my point?

ETA: The laser problem I referred to could happen to those knockoff optics as well. Something to think about if you are using one for a primary sighting system.

MT, we agree that certain parts are things that I personally won't put on any of my weapons. All the non-U.S. made lasers are absolute garbage in my opinion even though NC Star, Barska and others are marketed as being for real weapons, not airsoft. They sell millions of them though.

I am willing to bet that you would not be able to tell the difference between my PTS AFG and my authentic Magpul AFG if I had you handle them as roughly as you wanted blindfolded. I had U.S. made authentic sponsor-made (ProMag VFG) weapon products fail, but that doesn't seem to bother anyone as much as a PTS part?

I still judge each part on an individual basis and am not willing to put a Nerf or GI-Joe sight on my weapon as has been alluded to. I inspect the stuff that I purchase in person prior to ordering unless it is just too good of a deal to pass up (like a Grip Pod knock off for $7). I also don't blindly lump all parts made for airsoft into a single category of being useless toys. Some airsoft stuff is as good as the "real" counterparts, while others are the Nerf and GI Joe garbage that you feel all of it is. I can make the same argument (and have) against real weapons parts being good or garbage.

• Like 1

A firearm may be an investment to you.

A firearm may be the tool you use to defend your life from enemies foreign and domestic.

A firearm may be the tool you use to feed your family.

But A firearm may also be a fun recreational device that you take out have an entertaining weekend or you accessorize it to make it look cool or like something in a movie to hang up on your wall. The majority of my firearms fall into this category and I don't have a problem saving a few dollars if I want to see if I like the feel of a Grip Pod for $7 instead of $120. I found out I don't and wouldn't use the $120 version if you gave it to me!

Cameron, I think you have amazing top-tier products and I have stood up for you on several threads on this forum where people put Chaos down (and I will continue to do so because you are an upstanding guy). But not everyone needs a quad-rail for their shotgun or rifle to hang a bunch of stuff off of... And that stuff may be Chinese made airsoft sights, lasers, optics, flashlights, grips or bipods. If it makes people happy because they get a cool looking shotgun to post in the pictures forum, then I don't see the harm in that. If they are taking their airsoft accessories to fight and see actual combat use with the rebels in Libya, I would also try to steer them into other options since most of that shit (even the real "quality" stuff) will slow you down rather than provide any tangible benefits (i.e. PorkyPine :haha: )!

If anyone directly dies from my posts reviewing a particular product like UTG sights or ladder rail covers, then they deserve to be the fuck out of the gene pool! :lolol:

First, thanks, I appreciate you defending my good name from time to time.

In hand to hand combat and out of ammo, the porkypine is the king! Lets use the porkypine as a working example sense this is what you zeroed in on. True, to many people the porkypine is a little over the top, Ok a lot over the top, but it has to be taking seriously as a quality made weapon, not a toy. It's body is made for t6-6061 Aluminum with six 1/4" 302 Stainless Steel needles with blood grooves, and a 1/8" locking plate that has the ability to withstand nearly 12,000 lbs. of force before sheering. So although some people may think is not practical, there will be no arguing that it is not a toy. I really don't have time to continue on this path, so like Forest says , thats all I got to say about that.

• Like 1

Oh I think I've donated quite a few parts to the good folks here in the Saiga world, hell I'd even go as far as to say I've donated about as many $100 to $250 parts as there are post in this thread!

<--Still rocking that Chaos prototype quad rail that I won in one of your contests a couple years back. :super:

Oh I think I've donated quite a few parts to the good folks here in the Saiga world, hell I'd even go as far as to say I've donated about as many $100 to $250 parts as there are post in this thread!

<--Still rocking that Chaos prototype quad rail that I won in one of your contests a couple years back. :super:

Yeah thats right! But heres a little info you my not have know, the rail you have was the first Choas rail ever produced! What do you think about that. I had a choice keep it and display it at work or Give it away and be put to good use. Guys will have their Chaos rails still mounted and still shooting their Saigas for decades to come, because they are US made to last. :super:

I see know reason to drag the porky pine into this! That is as functioning as anything else that can be added to a saiga. I will gladly get ont as soon as some sells me one or cameron gets busy on some more :rolleyes: . As for using airsoft parts I would pass.There are plenty of fair priced working parts out there made for real guns. I personally would not spend over $50 on a front grip. I have seen these things with flashlights and lasers for $300- 700. To me thats getting another saiga or some drums. I wouldnt use a bi-pod on a shotgun either. and that is my :2c:

I'd be pretty careful with a $7 VFG/Bipod. It's not a real Grip-Pod, don't expect it to take much abuse dude.

I don't like the feel of it so no abuse will happen. There is no ergonomic enhancement for me (which is what any foregrip should do) and I would rather just use my Harris that is on a Picatinny adapter if I really need a bipod. I would have bought a real metal reinforced one if it had made my nipples hard and my palms sweat (but it didn't).

If anyone wants me to send it to them to try it for themselves, then message me (that goes for you too MT). I won't recommend that anyone take it into battle, but it will function for non-violent range use on your .22 (which is what I put it on) to see if you like the Grip Pod design. I don't even care if you want to torture test it to see how durable it is (throwing it into a garbage disposal or bonfire doesn't count).

Cameron, when you had the sale on the PorkyPines I was really fucking tempted to get one! That is probably the coolest looking accessory for a Saiga 12 out there and I know that you built it with the same high quality as all of the other Chaos products! If I was in hog country or could come up with some other justification other than just looking fucking bad-ass, I would have one on my Tromix Saiga 12!

BTW, this is one of the most fun threads I have participated in for a long time! :smoke:

7(Cameron's ironic "yes" makes it 6) to 51 is pretty overwhelmingly against airsoft stuff, but I think I made some good points and pissed enough people off :devil: - now I know how poor Boba Debt feels whenever he posts his bullpup threads! :lolol:

I'd be pretty careful with a $7 VFG/Bipod. It's not a real Grip-Pod, don't expect it to take much abuse dude.

Yeah, but the point is: If you fuck up a $7 grip pod, you're out $7. If you fuck up a $100 grip pod, it'll make you sick...

Yeah, and if that $7 Grip-pod breaks loose and you put a round or two into something or someone not intentionally, it'll make you even more sick.

This is pointless to argue about. Makes about the same sense as thinking the seatbelt from the kid's Powerwheels Jeep will be safe to use in a real Jeep.

Yeah, but the point is: If you fuck up a $7 grip pod, you're out $7. If you fuck up a $100 grip pod, it'll make you sick...

Yeah, and if that $7 Grip-pod breaks loose and you put a round or two into something or someone not intentionally, it'll make you even more sick.

This is pointless to argue about. Makes about the same sense as thinking the seatbelt from the kid's Powerwheels Jeep will be safe to use in a real Jeep.

but then you go and see the kids jumping around in the back seat on the highway with no seatbelt at all so again it comes down to the person who is in charge and most people with a functioning brain wont keep shooing if the thing they use to support the weapon breaks just like parents with a functioning brain wont let their kids jump around in a car with no seatbelt but hey there are alot of people out there with out a functioning brain it seems

If I may, I think BD's point is that he saved $93 by trying the airsoft gripod and realizing that he didn't like the ergonomics. If he did like the ergos, and bought the real deal, he would have only been out an extra $7. Shoot, often, that ain't even shipping.

Quality tends to = Cost, but Cost doen't always = Quality. And a great deal depends on the intent and use of the buyer. Also, just because something works for one, doens't always mean that it will work for another.

• Like 4

I did not have any negligent discharges when the ProMag fore grip sheared off my Saiga 12. I simply kept the shotgun pointed down range with my trigger hand (canting it slightly upwards so the weight was shared on my right shoulder), pulled the broken grip off and put it on the table and then cleared my weapon as I would normally. Nobody got shot nor did any extra rounds go off because my trigger finger was off the trigger!

Battosaii is right about user responsibility - if you are shooting with such a narrow safety margin that by losing the supporting grip you inadvertently shoot someone, then you are not handling your weapon properly and probably need a remedial safety course.

Again, the prevailing assumption on this thread is that all airsoft gear is going to break immediately or at some inopportune time where it kills people. Ever hear of a self-fulfilling prophecy? If I have that mindset about any gun part, chances are, I will be able to make it happen! My forementioned airsoft gear has not failed nor broken, but I will double check my safe and see if my sights, cheap rail covers or AFG broke off, escaped and shot somebody when I was away. :lolol:

• Like 1

but then you go and see the kids jumping around in the back seat on the highway with no seatbelt at all so again it comes down to the person who is in charge and most people with a functioning brain wont keep shooing if the thing they use to support the weapon breaks just like parents with a functioning brain wont let their kids jump around in a car with no seatbelt but hey there are alot of people out there with out a functioning brain it seems

EXACTLY, I mean you'd have to be a total moron of astronomical proportions to throw ANY rail mounted accessory on your weapon and NOT test it with the weapon unloaded first! With grips, I like to install them then pick the gun up by the grip only. If it survives that, I load the biggest magazine I've got as full as I can get it and then install the mag (bolt held open) and then perform the same test. If the grip survives that then I firmly grip it by the grip only and bounce the weapon up and down quickly. If it survives that, you're not going to do anything to break it short of throwing the gun down and having it land on the grip only.

This testing procedure is how I determined that the rails that come with the Tapco grips are weak and brittle...

...and these are rails that are DESIGNED for firearms... cost a pretty penny too...

So much for paying for quality. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I did not have any negligent discharges when the ProMag fore grip sheared off my Saiga 12. I simply kept the shotgun pointed down range with my trigger hand (canting it slightly upwards so the weight was shared on my right shoulder), pulled the broken grip off and put it on the table and then cleared my weapon as I would normally. Nobody got shot nor did any extra rounds go off because my trigger finger was off the trigger!

Battosaii is right about user responsibility - if you are shooting with such a narrow safety margin that by losing the supporting grip you inadvertently shoot someone, then you are not handling your weapon properly and probably need a remedial safety course.

Again, the prevailing assumption on this thread is that all airsoft gear is going to break immediately or at some inopportune time where it kills people. Ever hear of a self-fulfilling prophecy? If I have that mindset about any gun part, chances are, I will be able to make it happen! My forementioned airsoft gear has not failed nor broken, but I will double check my safe and see if my sights, cheap rail covers or AFG broke off, escaped and shot somebody when I was away. :lolol:

Agree 100%

• Like 1

Yeah thats right! But heres a little info you my not have know, the rail you have was the first Choas rail ever produced! What do you think about that. I had a choice keep it and display it at work or Give it away and be put to good use. Guys will have their Chaos rails still mounted and still shooting their Saigas for decades to come, because they are US made to last. :super:

Shit, that's awesome! :super: Prepare to see me rub that fact in peoples faces around the board, lol.

I had no idea. That's a very cool little bit of info. Thanks again. :beer:

And then you admit a shitty cheap accessory broke on you when firing.

Every time I've gone the cheap route on a gun part, I've wound up throwing it away after it breaks or doesn't fit right or falls apart or just turns out to be a piece of shit. When buying parts for your firearm, I've always found buying high quality parts from well known vendors always works out in my favor; yes, I pay more, but when I do I get parts which will last a long time. Let's say you buy a UTG quad rail for your S12 and have some kind of issue with it, who are you going to contact with your questions? If you buy a Chaos rail and have any question, you can contact Cameron directly or talk to one of his family members who all speak English, you can't beat that!

Buying gun parts isn't like buying HDMI cable for your TV, yes, you can spend $100 for a 6-foot Monster branded cable, which will be almost exactly the same as the $10 generic branded black cable.

I'm not saying that all Chinese products are bad, just don't be disappointed if you spend $10 on a bipod and throw it away after a year, because part of it broke and the manufacturer doesn't give a damn about you.

You get what you pay for.

If you want to own an actual firearm you have to understand that it isn't a toy. Things for a tool that is capable of keeping you from starving, and saving your life don't come cheap.

If you want a toy, buy one. If you want an actual firearm, just understand what it actually is and stop skimping and ruining your gun.

Iron sights will beat the hell out of any cheap scope/reddot any day of the week. I don't care how bad your eyes are, when that optic fails it won't matter.

thats why my cheap red dot is co-witness with my irons so if it fails or battery dies i can still aim

You have a red dot on a shotgun? You realize that's like putting a laser on a hand grenade right? :lolol:

PK-AS riding on my saiga 12... It's just easier to get a nice sight picture with. Though it's not technically a red dot.

As far as calling a shotgun a handgrenade, accuracy wise, I suggest you have something done about yours. If it's spreading that badly on you, it could possibly be a safety risk.

I can get a decent enough pattern between 50 to 100 yards to honestly say some magnification would make aiming faster.(1.5 or 2x) If I had a shorty barrel and a folding stock I could see trying to set it up for as short of range as possible, but I don't. It patterns very nicely with its 22" full choke barrel, and at any realistic distances it will most likely reach out a fair bit better than a regular shotgun. PKAS on there is a nice compromise between a red dot and a scope, to me. Provides me with a more precise and faster sight picture than my bare irons alone can. It does every bit as well on the saiga 12 as it has my rifles. I also find sighting with my left eye starting to become a preference to me now.

Anyway back to the topic at hand.

Rant

A gun is not a honda civic, even though apparently some people must think they are. More accessories does not equal better, nor does it equal more versatility. A light for home defense is fine... Or a laser grip on a pistol for bear defense. A bipod is not for a shotgun, nor is it for anything you plan on shooting less than 300 yards with. If you want a portable shooting rest, tie together some sticks and stop being silly with your UTG diecast toys. Rails do not make a gun more accurate, nor to they take a second off its quarter mile time. Furthermore, they are not an excuse to load up a gun to 15 pounds worth of empty weight. Buying knock off optics and thinking that you'll upgrade later is entirely flawed logic. Why spend $50 now and $500-$1000 a few months from now? If you have iron sights to get by with for the time being, use the damned things, they cost you nothing! And guess what, it doesn't take magnification to reach out to at least 300 yards if your eye sight is good enough to legally drive a car. Much less 100 yards, where most of these people seem to think they need a $35 12-20x scope on their gun... Then complain because the sight picture is dark and it won't hold zero.

/Rant

Edited by Tombs
  • Like 1

They are called weapon systems ( systems ) for a reason. Each and every piece you bolt, weld, tape or glue on becomes a part of that weapon. As with any system, its only as strong as its weakest part. Much like a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, if a link breaks, the chain is useless for towing Uncle Bobs truck home. Now, Much like Uncle Bob's tow chain, you can USUALLY piece the 2 back together or just use the longer end of the break and get the truck home before the cops start asking questions about the 300lb bag of weed in the back crudely hidden by the spare tire.

The question you have to ask yourself is... when a bad bad man breaks into your house, and is intent on killing you then doing evil evil things to your wife and kids.. and your forced to grab the closest firearm you own to defend yourself and your loved ones...

How much time do you wanna spend figureing out which end of the chain is the longest, or how you can best make whats LEFT of your weapons system save your children?......

Myself, I overbuild... IF its whats closest when the bad man knocks, it WILL be useable... and I'm not gonna have to readjust my grip cause a cheap plastic vertical foregrip sheered off and cut my hand to the bone rendering me MABY 50% effective in a situation I need to be 110% effective in...

YMMV, my family is worth more to me than the 12 bucks I saved useing trash on the range toy I was just finishing up cleaning when the door busted in.

Waylon

Sorry if that sounds a little dark or offends anyone... but in MY house, if it's not 100% GTG to protect my family, its only in my house cause its Wednesday... and the trash dosen't run till Thursday

( edited to sound MUCH less dark and offensive )

Edited by datrowl

They are called weapon systems ( systems ) for a reason. Each and every piece you bolt, weld, tape or glue on becomes a part of that weapon. As with any system, its only as strong as its weakest part. Much like a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, if a link breaks, the chain is useless for towing Uncle Bobs truck home. Now, Much like Uncle Bob's tow chain, you can USUALLY piece the 2 back together or just use the longer end of the break and get the truck home before the cops start asking questions about the 300lb bag of weed in the back crudely hidden by the spare tire.

The question you have to ask yourself is... when a bad bad man breaks into your house, and is intent on killing you then doing evil evil things to your wife and kids.. and your forced to grab the closest firearm you own to defend yourself and your loved ones...

How much time do you wanna spend figureing out which end of the chain is the longest, or how you can best make whats LEFT of your weapons system save your children?......

Myself, I overbuild... IF its whats closest when the bad man knocks, it WILL be useable... and I'm not gonna have to readjust my grip cause a cheap plastic vertical foregrip sheered off and cut my hand to the bone rendering me MABY 50% effective in a situation I need to be 110% effective in...

YMMV, my family is worth more to me than the 12 bucks I saved useing trash on the range toy I was just finishing up cleaning when the door busted in.

Waylon

Sorry if that sounds a little dark or offends anyone... but in MY house, if it's not 100% GTG to protect my family, its only in my house cause its Wednesday... and the trash dosen't run till Thursday

( edited to sound MUCH less dark and offensive )

I'm with you bro.

Buying gun parts isn't like buying HDMI cable for your TV, yes, you can spend $100 for a 6-foot Monster branded cable, which will be almost exactly the same as the $10 generic branded black cable.

Actually, HDMI cables are a crapshoot: brand or price has little to do with determining quality. They ALL pretty much suck.

A better example would be USB cables: those are pretty much good across the board and you don't need expensive ones.

Oh yeah, like someone already said....why are you putting a bi-pod on a shotgun? Just curious.

Because it has a 20 round drum. If I were to use, or even want to use, it in a real situation, with a drum that large, I'd probably be defending a position (ie MINE if zombies were coming at me).

lolwut? You talk about using it in a "real situation" and then follow it with talking about defending your position from incoming zombies.

I thought "zombies" is the PC (politically Correct)/neutral term for any of the following:

mob of angry people

mob of infected people

home invaders

any other kind of hostile mob with me as their target

SWAT Team

Military team

militant/organized bad guys

the mafia

stampeding herd (horse, elk, elephants, deer, penguins, etc...)

robot(s)

any other targets intent on attacking me or my position

Also, if I am standing and using something to lean onto and hold the weapon (one example would be to stand in a sunroof or the bed of a truck and use the roof to hold the weapon), the bipod would help hold up the weapon so I could use my free hand to hold the hell on.

In such a situation, I would not need more accuracy, I would want more comfort (I guess that's the right word...). It's kind of awkward to reach around some of the drums I have, let alone reach around the drum AND make use of a table/roof for shot stability.

Oh, and it would work as a great kickstand, like someone (sorry, forgot who) pointed out that troops in bumfukastan are using their bipods for on their M4s in the chowhalls.

Poll has served its purpose.

Would you use an airsoft accessory (furniture type) on your real firearm?

Yes. (8 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

HELL no! (61 votes [63.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.54%

Depends on the quality of the accessory (24 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Depends on some other reason (3 votes [3.12%] - View)

Killing it now

Poll has served its purpose.

Would you use an airsoft accessory (furniture type) on your real firearm?

Yes. (8 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

HELL no! (61 votes [63.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.54%

Depends on the quality of the accessory (24 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Depends on some other reason (3 votes [3.12%] - View)

Killing it now

Why close it? I don't get it...

Wouldn't the more important question be why leave it open?

Are you expecting a slew of airsoft wielding warriors to change your numbers?

Leaving it open allows for a thread to be necrod after its well beyond dead. Closing the poll makes it so someone has to put thier name on the thread and provide meaningful input.