First Saiga

Hey Folks.

Total noob here, and looking for some information. Common sense dictated that I type it out for you, and provide pictures of what I'm working with. First things first, I'm working with a Saiga .308-1 16" carbine, and I'm looking to restore it for multiple reasons. First, the stock is WAY too short for my frame, just won't work. Second, I can't stand the Monte Carlo style grip. Finally, the trigger just doesn't feel right.

First question is about the grip. I've read that some receivers don't have the square hole for the grip nut. I'm guessing the square hole in my receiver is the one that is being spoken of. Correct me if I'm wrong.

IMG_1922.JPG

Next, this link here is the stock I ordered. This link here is the trigger group kit I ordered. And, this link here is the grip ordered.

The question is, do I have everything I need for the restoration? If not, please tell me if there are critical parts missing.

Next question is, with the parts I have selected am I still compliant with 922r? If not, recommendations to make it so?

:|:EDIT:|: There are no threads on the barrel, so no attachment. Gunwiki is saying I'm compliant at 10 parts.

Final question is about polishing the inner workings. I'm thinking it's recommended, but not required. Otherwise, it would come that way from Izhmash. Anyway, difficulty rating? Time rating? Or can it wait?

All requests and questions come with the obligatory please and thank you.

Edited by tNT

Looks like you have the pistol grip hole already there in the reciever I can see it in the pic you just have to remove the trigger gaurd and that piece that its spot welded to. you'll need a pistol grip nut though or a do it yourself trigger gaurd kit.Welcome to the club. I didn't polish mine not the bolt ,rails,hammer nothing and it works beautifuly but I have Red star arms 2 stage trigger probably the best trigger I've ever used.

Another question I've run in to. All of the tuts I've found for the Saiga conversions say to drill out the shoulder rivets. My receiver doesn't have those rivets. You can see that in this pic.

IMG_1925.JPG

And the opposite side.

IMG_1926.JPG

Do I just use a punch and knock out the FCG pins to release it all? Also, it's looking like I'll have to remove the side rail to get the rear trunion out. Is this right? Again, please and thank you.

Edited by tNT

The Saiga 308 is slightly different from the 7.62x39 conversion videos I've seen. For one, mine didn't need shoulder rivets drilled out either. Just had to grind down some spot welds on the cover plate under the trigger guard to remove it. I didn't touch my scope mount either, I just unbolted/unscrewed the factory buttstock and I could get at everything I needed to just fine. To take the FCG pins out I believe you will need to remove the shepherd's crook wire thing that locks them in place, don't just punch them out. IIRC the safety has to be lifted 90 degrees vertical first, to get that out of the way, then you can start disassembling the rest of the FCG.

edit* - didn't see you got a stock with an internal trunnion. I got the Ace version of that. All I had to do was grind off the tang on the factory trunnion and the Ace unit slipped right in. I would wait for your part to come in before taking on that part. You'll want to see the instructions for that specific stock.

Edited by nsdhanoa

Thanks for the info. I ended up figuring it out yesterday. .. I ended up removing the stock rear trunion to put in the internal SGM trunion. Worked out pretty good, but there's a tab on the bottom that might need to be ground down. Other than that, everything is going well on it. Think I'll get some pictures up later when I can get to the hardware store for some washers. The PG bolt is on the long side, and needs to be brought snug. going to the hardware store tomorrow to see what I can find. Either a new bolt, or some washers.

Edited by tNT

Done yesterday, but needed a couple of washers from the hardware store to snug up the grip.

Guess the picture doesn't want to load. Here's the link. http://pc-spot.us/tnt/PIC/Saiga/IMG_1938.JPG

Probably going to put a different forearm on it in a little while though. We'll see how that goes. Thanks to everybody here for all of the vital information. It is very much appreciated, and went to good use.

Edited by tNT