O.K. I've been milling over compliance with 922r. . . Did not see the specific questions I"m looking to answer.

If you replace the FTG how can the BATF tell? They all look to be marked in places that you can't readily see by field stripping it. Don't they have to dissamble it to find out if it's marked MADE IN USA?

The gas piston, stocks, and magazines all fairly obvious, but I don't get the FTG.

Anyone one got any light to shed on this?

Also, if a magazine capacity is not clearly stated as being non-sporting. . .would it be logical to consider a magazine that is not mil-spec or surplus to be a civilian use item? Like Surefire, Promag 30 rounders?

Just askin.

• 3 months later...

It's an Al Capone Syndrome--he was convicted of Tax Evasion, not what he was really guilty of (ordering murders, bombings, etc.). It's one more thing Big Brother can 'ding' you on if you ruffle their feathers too much. As far as 922r is concerned: 10 (or less) is your friend.

• Like 1

I do not think you are going to ever get "spot checked" at a range, but if I remember correctly, my FCG has the "Tapco G2" marking that is visible on the trigger outside the receiver. Again, that does not prove the origin of any other parts inside the receiver, but it would be a good indicator.

• 1 month later...

the short answer is that 922® is criminal code. While gun restrictions are themselves unconsitutional, in order to convict you of non compliance (a crime), the feds would have to prove that someone isn't in compliance. from a legal standpoint they would have to make an assertion that each piece they count is foreign and be able to prove each one. they would get bench-slapped if they said well the puck and the trigger group are maybe foreign, so we're going to count those. Your lawer could probably get them in trouble with the bar for something like that.

It's so cheap and easy to get it right, I don't see why anyone would want to fudge it though.