Tac47 Autoplug

I'll need to write a more formal write up soon, but I took my S12 out today for a test run. Within 5 rounds I had the autoplug tuned and running great. I am not only surprised how well it worked, but SHOCKED really. I like the idea of how it works, but was expecting something a little more time consuming.

One thing I noticed is that after almost exactly 100 rounds of low brass, target, clays, slugs, 00 buck, the puck was not very dirty at all, minor crap but nothing that bad. There was however a little bit of crap on the front of the autoplug. I am assuming some of the crap that would otherwise be stuck inside the puck area is actually getting blown out the autoplug. A nice bonus.

Two mixed mags of every type of ammo I had and everything ejected approx 2 feet away at the 3 o'clock position from shooter.

It's also worth noting I have an 18" barrel with 4 ports at 3/32". I am extremely pleased with the setup I have.

Mine works great aswell. Mixed slugs, fed birdshot, & highbrass in random order and it ate them like it was cool. Not one hiccup, FTE, or stove pipe. Very very satisfied. And you right about the crap being blown out. Way cleaner. I could go on and on about it's awesomeness but it's late and I'm gonna retire for the night.

I've put a couple thousand rounds down the plug in my S12 and it works as advertised. From time to time you have to tighten the spring, I think in this past year I've done it three times total. It's pretty much a set and forget plug in my experience.

Z

I took two S-12's out and fired a bunch of older ammo with paper wadding. One had the Tac 47 auto plug and the other did not. The one that had the Tac 47 auto plug continued to fire without incident. The one that had the original facotry plug was jamming every second or third shot after a few rounds were fired. Disassembled that weapon at the house and found pieces of paper stuck in the magazine and between bolt and rail. It didn't dawn on me until just now taht the Tac 47 auto plug is what saved my bacon on the other S-12. Interesting.

Edited by 1911

I didn't look very hard, but in my research I did see a lot of people talking about this (the autoplug), the gunfixer plug, V-plug, stock, etc etc.

If I could not have the autoplug I would choose V-Plug, but I can not imagine a scenario were I would WANT to manually adjust settings, the autoplug just works so well (so far of course).

Good to know about adjusting the spring now and then, I suppose this could be for heat/temper/wear/etc. I also wonder if Tac-47 used an off the shelf spring just incase I ever need another?

I have had an autoplug since it first came out but have never installed it till this past weekend. I couldn't get it to shoot well from the hip, but never really need to. It works very well though otherwise. I think I spent more time loading my md20s then shooting. Ran like a sewing machine and left all the shells in a nice pile.

I wonder how Auto Plug works. Video on TAC47 website does not say much. Isn't it like always shooting on the highest gas settings with normal gas plug?

AS I UNDERSTAND IT... which could be completely wrong. It's a pressure sensitive release valve. That is X pressure is required to run the gun and any pressure over that is useless. The autoplug is set to vent pressure over X (when set correctly). So, if 2X pressure comes in the vent opens and shuts when it's back to it's setting, ideally right at X.

It's actually a fairly cool idea, and I wonder why it's not applied to AR and AKs that have gassing issues when suppressed.

This is how I THINK it works, I haven't disassembled it to look, and haven't even studied the outside all that well. I look in there, see vents and a spring, pretty sure it's venting anything over the pressure required to make the gun work.

I wonder how Auto Plug works. Video on TAC47 website does not say much. Isn't it like always shooting on the highest gas settings with normal gas plug?

No. That wouldn't make sense at all (you'd just set your factory plug to 2 and tear up your gun if that was what you wanted).

This plug adjusts the amount of gas depending on what is needed (saving you from having to do it manually).

Want to get one!

Well more like always shooting on the highest gas setting required to cycle your gun. You adjust the spring tension (easily done with a flathead screwdriver) to the point where the valve only opens after enough pressure to cycle the action is reached, any excess pressure is vented. Properly set the lowest brass you can cycle reliably shouldn't vent at all and any pressure past that amount from higher brass will be vented out. I really like it, it didn't take long to set and now theres no plug adjustment for me when changing ammo types.

That being said your gun should be able to cycle the ammo you are using first before the auto plug will do you much of any good.

This is how I THINK it works, I haven't disassembled it to look, and haven't even studied the outside all that well. I look in there, see vents and a spring, pretty sure it's venting anything over the pressure required to make the gun work.

Its pretty simple, the screw tightens down on the spring, the spring is what is holding the valve closed. So when you tighten the screw down it takes more pressure for the valve to open and loosening up on it means it takes less pressure to vent it. As simple as it is, it still does exactly what you said, just get it set to the point where it won't open until that X pressure is reached. You can open the whole thing up by backing the screw all the way out, theres only a couple of parts. Obviously if you take it apart you have to find that sweet spot again after you reassemble it, but, while I haven't had mine for too long, I assume at some point you need to take it apart anyways just to clean it out.

Mine worked fine right out of the package, have shot Federal bulk birdshot up to #00 buck with no problems. As someone who has forgot to change the factory plug more than one time, this is a good product.

Edited by waltham_41

Has someone tried to tune up auto plug with Winchester Universal bulk pack? Remington Nitro shoots well even with factory plug.

Well one thing that I always heard is that If your shotgun wont fire Winchester bulk BEFORE getting the autoplug, then more than likely it wont fire it afterward....but ya never know!!!

I'll need to write a more formal write up soon, but I took my S12 out today for a test run. Within 5 rounds I had the autoplug tuned and running great. I am not only surprised how well it worked, but SHOCKED really. I like the idea of how it works, but was expecting something a little more time consuming.

One thing I noticed is that after almost exactly 100 rounds of low brass, target, clays, slugs, 00 buck, the puck was not very dirty at all, minor crap but nothing that bad. There was however a little bit of crap on the front of the autoplug. I am assuming some of the crap that would otherwise be stuck inside the puck area is actually getting blown out the autoplug. A nice bonus.

Two mixed mags of every type of ammo I had and everything ejected approx 2 feet away at the 3 o'clock position from shooter.

It's also worth noting I have an 18" barrel with 4 ports at 3/32". I am extremely pleased with the setup I have.

I run one in my 10" SBS and it is the only thing preventing the bolt carrier from slamming the rear trunnion. I went a little big when I opened up my gas ports, read way over gassed. After a few shots it was obvious that anything more than bird-shot was going to be a problem. On a whim I pulled out the TAC47 auto plug from one of my other Saigas and gave it a try. I just keep backing off the center screw until it stopped cycling the birdshot, then tightened it about 3/4 turns. It now runs birdshot, buckshot and slugs with no problems. The auto plug prevented me from welding up the gas ports and re-drilling.

While I love the idea and in truth will likely own one sooner rather than later, my question is... how big is that thing?

Looks like it would extend past the gasblock enough to cause issues with some tri and quad rail systems no?

Could anyone give a quick measure from end of gas tube to end of plug for those of us concerned about fitting the rail spaces allowed?

Thanks in advance,

Waylon

While I love the idea and in truth will likely own one sooner rather than later, my question is... how big is that thing?

Looks like it would extend past the gasblock enough to cause issues with some tri and quad rail systems no?

Could anyone give a quick measure from end of gas tube to end of plug for those of us concerned about fitting the rail spaces allowed?

Thanks in advance,

Waylon

Send TAC either a PM or E mail with your question.

They use CHAOS products on some of their builds.

Thanks in advance,

Waylon

Just a blonde pubic hair over 3/4"

The Auto Plug works like a dream if you have a gun that has plenty of gas to start with. If your putting it in a gun that will barely cycle what you want to shoot to begin with then your not going to be happy with a new plug. I love my Auto Plug and would recomend it to anyone with a solid working gun.

From time to time you have to tighten the spring

Is your loosening up or is the spring getting weaker? Mine would loosen up on its own until I put some lock tite on it. Now it doesnt budge.

I don't really see it interfering with a rail system. Any rail system which would be a problem for the auto plug would also be a problem for the factory plug. Notice rail systems always stop just short of the gas plug, they can't cover that area because you need access to it to be depress the button and use your tool to remove the factory plug for regular cleaning. Now, since the auto plug does stick out more than the factory plug, it may interfere with some longer barrel shrouds or similar.

• Like 1

The Auto Plug works like a dream if you have a gun that has plenty of gas to start with. If your putting it in a gun that will barely cycle what you want to shoot to begin with then your not going to be happy with a new plug. I love my Auto Plug and would recomend it to anyone with a solid working gun.

From time to time you have to tighten the spring

Is your loosening up or is the spring getting weaker? Mine would loosen up on its own until I put some lock tite on it. Now it doesnt budge.

Very true if your gun cycles low brass already then the autoplug is for you, if not try their standard plug it actually was the first to increase gas delivered in the lowest setting to help guns with cycling issues. For the life of me I don't know why more people aren't using the autoplug!