Reliable Magazine?

Hey guys, new to the forums and a Brand New saiga 12 owner. Just picked up one from a local gun store. Got the very last one that they were going to be able to stock for quite a while, if not forever :(. Picked her up for $700. Anyways, I was looking for a 10 round mag for it and was wondering whats a good, reliable brand. The only one I know of right now that sells a 10 round is Surefire. Does anyone know if they feed reliably? Or any other good brands will help. Much appreciated guys. BTW, Love the site so far!

Hey guys, new to the forums and a Brand New saiga 12 owner. Just picked up one from a local gun store. Got the very last one that they were going to be able to stock for quite a while, if not forever :(. Picked her up for $700. Anyways, I was looking for a 10 round mag for it and was wondering whats a good, reliable brand. The only one I know of right now that sells a 10 round is Surefire. Does anyone know if they feed reliably? Or any other good brands will help. Much appreciated guys. BTW, Love the site so far!

Surefire is good, I prefer AGP because I like their quality a little better. Not saying that Surefire is bad quality, I just prefer AGP.

MD arms has been talking about his mystical doublestacks, be we haven't seen much from them. His drums rock.

Promag- drums good, sticks bad

Factory magazines- Awesome.

Surefire- Lifetime warrenty stick mags that can be changed in size, what's not to love?

Keepshooting- they make a copy of the 5rd factory mag without the metal reinforced tab. They're cheap and I've heard nothing but good things. Bvamp did a solid review on them. Use the search to find it if interested.

AGP- I've heard good things about them, but I've never used them.

I have both SureFire and AGP 10 round mags for my S-12. As most members here will attest, barring a problem specific to a gun or possibly a defective mag, both seem to be equally reliable in all respects. Personally however, between them, I prefer the AGP, as the Surefires have that huge blocky floorplate that exacerbates the ungainliness of a 10 round mag. I suggest you buy and try one of each to see which you prefer before buying a necessary large number of either. Remember, there is no such thing as "too many" magazines, kinda like there is no such thing as too much money, horesepower, or sex. :)

Ideally, you should have at least several, like maybe 4 or 5 Izhmash factory 5 round mags, at least 4 or more 10 rounders, and maybe even a 2 rounder for waterfowl hunting, which you'll need to stay legal and out of the game warden's clutches if you hunt waterfowl. If you have plenty of money, you may want to consider the excellent Izhmash factory 8 round mags, which are alleged to be utterly reliable, and more maneuverable and convenient than 10 rounders, but with more capacity than 5 rounders. Be advised that they are pricey however, running somewhere in the neighborhood of around $150 EACH. That's too much for me, but those who have them swear by them.

FWIW, I think you'll find that 5 round mags are the most convenient for home/personal defense, due both to their better maneuverability, and ability to carry and switch loads quickly, while the 10 rounders are more convenient for plinking and range use. Try 'em both.

In my experience, both Surefire and AGP mags work ok. I will say that I never had any problems with Surefires right out of the bag, while some AGPs required "tuning" to feed correctly, so I generally preferred Surefires, (even though AGPs do look better cosmetically).

A few months ago, after actually acquiring an Izhmash factory 8-rnd mag and seeing how superior they are to currently available US mags; I sold every US mag I owned and used the money to help pay for 2 more Izzy 8s, (I'm always looking for more), and a couple more Izzy 5s, for a total of 3 of each.

The only US-made mags I plan to purchase in the future are Mike D's double-stacks, based on the proven design and tough-as-nails construction of his drums, (which I have a few of also).

Sure, I don't have as many mags as I would if still used Surefires/AGPs, but every mag I own is completely reliable and tough enough to trust my life to; should that ever become necessary.

ymmv.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Surefire & MDArms.

I've Surefires in all sizes and every single one has pretty much locked up solid and performed right outta'da bag.

Fitting has been a hard slap which removed a sliver of material, after that they lock in fine.

And I had one with a rough edge on a feed lip, whip out the Gerber tool's file, one stroke and perfection.

Not one problem from these crappy US mags that TwentyNizzo talks about. :rolleyes:

I've two MD20s, both required very minor fitting and have functioned flawlessly.

Still waiting impatiently for Mike to bring the doublestacks to market :deadhorse:

Edited by ChileRelleno

I use a mag well on two of my S12's.....both AGP and the Surefire require removing some material. That said I have never had (knock on wood) any problems with either. I use my S12's mostly for 3gun matches so giving up any capacity is not a option. Sounds like the factory 8 rounders are the best for general shooting. But both AGP and Surefire both work great in my stock gun (converted) and the ones with mag wells (mags are modified).

Edited by THM7

I don't care for 10 rounders at all. Too bulky for my tastes. I've only run a Surefire 8 rounder other than factory 5. Zero problems so I ordered another one that came in yesterday. I've also got a MD20 but haven't even stuck it in the gun yet. I just had to snag one when they dropped to 80 bucks for a while. The size of it makes me consider it a fun only mag.