Bulgy Bullet Mag Question

Bought my first bulgy bullet mag for a good price, loaded it up with 30 rounds of Wolf and took it to the range. As soon as I pulled the charging handle on my converted 7.62 Saiga the first round half-fed and jammed. When pulling the charging handle, I could feel the bolt scraping the first round in the mag. The magazine works flawlessly with 29 rounds or less but I didn't by a 29 round mag, I bought a 30 round mag! The first round had obvious scrape marks on the casing after I cleared it but this did not happen when only loaded to 29. Has anybody else had this problem and, more importantly, is there a solution? Maybe I could fuck with the follower somehow or replace the spring. Thanks for any advice guys.

Bought my first bulgy bullet mag for a good price, loaded it up with 30 rounds of Wolf and took it to the range. As soon as I pulled the charging handle on my converted 7.62 Saiga the first round half-fed and jammed. When pulling the charging handle, I could feel the bolt scraping the first round in the mag. The magazine works flawlessly with 29 rounds or less but I didn't by a 29 round mag, I bought a 30 round mag! The first round had obvious scrape marks on the casing after I cleared it but this did not happen when only loaded to 29. Has anybody else had this problem and, more importantly, is there a solution? Maybe I could fuck with the follower somehow or replace the spring. Thanks for any advice guys.

This is common in a lot of magazines. Notably in recent time, DPMS .308 magazines were re-labeled 19 round magazines after numerous complaints of false advertising. I was taught as a kid (by my ex-military father) to load 28 rounds in double-stack 30 round magazines to ensure maximum reliability. Your springs will eventually wear in a little with use and you will probably be able to get 30 to work at some point. I wouldn't mess with the follower until you get a replacement mag that you are happy with - but less than an eighth of an inch should be all you need to take off the bottom follower if you decide to go that route.

Mil-surp metal mags are cheap and likely won't have this issue.