Just ordered a new Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm compact and hopefully will have it for the weekend as it's supposed to be warmer and dry for the most part. I was going to purchase the Israeli Cherokee BUL but they were sold out so I went with the Beretta. Read alot of reviews on different forums and watched several video reviews and I think I will be extremely pleased if it's anywhere near as good as all the stuff I've read and seen claims it to be. I came close to pulling the trigger on a S&W M&P 9mm but they still seem to be having too many issues and then most every report I've read claims the accuracy is not up to par compared to other top brand 9mms' and the Beretta with it's rotating barrel is supposed to be very accurate and very low recoil.

Just ordered a new Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm compact and hopefully will have it for the weekend as it's supposed to be warmer and dry for the most part. I was going to purchase the Israeli Cherokee BUL but they were sold out so I went with the Beretta. Read alot of reviews on different forums and watched several video reviews and I think I will be extremely pleased if it's anywhere near as good as all the stuff I've read and seen claims it to be. I came close to pulling the trigger on a S&W M&P 9mm but they still seem to be having too many issues and then most every report I've read claims the accuracy is not up to par compared to other top brand 9mms' and the Beretta with it's rotating barrel is supposed to be very accurate and very low recoil.

I own this Beretta and I love it. Smooth shooting. The only cons it's magazine does not like Russian steel case ammo (polymer or laker coated). But there is a workaround. Spray cartridges with RemOil or even .... spit on them :) and they load smoothly.

PX4 was my the first pistol I shot. Result attached :)

post-31370-0-42562300-1303908706_thumb.jpg

I've got one in 40 caliber. Well, my wife does now since she confiscated it. It's very accurate and recoil is easily manageable even in 40. The 9mm should be a sweet shooter. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

I have a full size Px4 in 9mm. It was my first handgun and I love it. You will too. I have heard great things about the compact especially since Beretta sent out replacement springs to all those affected by the too stiff recoil spring.

Here is my Px4 at 25 feet the first time I shot it (and I was a super newb at this point):

The flyers are from me losing concentration at the end of the 17 round magazine.

post-25923-0-80101900-1303917535_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reassurance guys and nice shooting by the way. That was one of the deciding factors for me was the accuracy afforded by the rotating barrel. I saw some videos with very tight groups. The Beretta forum has a very in depth review and IIRC you can make the compact a 18+1 by using the 17 round mag with the extender and the 17 round mag spring so a 19 shot in a compact model looks to be fun. The guy that posted all that info tried several different set-ups so I might have it slightly wrong but all I have to do is look it back up when I'm ready to try it. The compact also has a thicker barrel for some reason and it's quite a difference not sure why. They claim the compact doesn't recoil as much as the full size which i found odd but maybe the thicker barrel is attributing to that. I'm sure I'll be happy with it that is if I survive the purchase as I haven't told my wife yet :eek:

Yeah that was Beretta1526. You can use the 15 rounders with the +3 baseplate to make seamless 18 rounders. But you can also use the +3 on a 17 rounder and have a gap but 20+1 on board. :D

Ok thanks I was close though :haha:. How many rounds have you pumped through yours? I also posted I got one on order over at M4carbine.net and have caught mostly grief telling me I picked the wrong pistol. I could not find one negative post on this gun before buying but have found several post on issues with the Sig's, S&W M&Ps',the gen 4 glocks, and was advised to go with Beretta so I did and now I'm hearing over there I made a bad choice as they say Beretta has a bad reputation when it comes to the rotating barrel guns in the reliability department.

Ok thanks I was close though :haha:. How many rounds have you pumped through yours? I also posted I got one on order over at M4carbine.net and have caught mostly grief telling me I picked the wrong pistol. I could not find one negative post on this gun before buying but have found several post on issues with the Sig's, S&W M&Ps',the gen 4 glocks, and was advised to go with Beretta so I did and now I'm hearing over there I made a bad choice as they say Beretta has a bad reputation when it comes to the rotating barrel guns in the reliability department.

I fired 1500+ round with no problems so far. In a fact one of the local ranges rents out only Beretta 92/96 and PX4 Storm. Not sure if Beretta sponsoring them but I have not heard any negatives. I was approached by a few people at the range asking what gun is it and if they can try it out. Everyone liked it.:super:

Well m4carbine.net is full of Tier 1 & Tier 2 operators so there is alot of knowledge there but they can sometimes be quite snobbish also if you know what I mean. They have vendors pushing certain types of guns and if you don't happen to get one of those you purchase is pure crap. I have S&W weapons and had seriously considerd the M&P 9mm but they have right on the forums quite a few issues related to that gun but they still push it saying you just need to buy this or that for it to be a good reliable weapon. If I'm buying I don't want to have to spend additional money to get it to operate the way it should from the factory. Now adding mods or bling to suit your needs and personalizing I can see but not to make it function the way it should have originally. So thank you for your input it helps reassure me I made the right choice.

Edited by theDuke

Well m4carbine.net is full of Tier 1 & Tier 2 operators so there is alot of knowledge there but they can sometimes be quite snobbish also if you know what I mean. They have vendors pushing certain types of guns and if you don't happen to get one of those you purchase is pure crap. I have S&W weapons and had seriously considerd the M&P 9mm but they have right on the forums quite a few issues related to that gun but they still push it saying you just need to buy this or that for it to be a good reliable weapon. If I'm buying I don't want to have to spend additional money to get it to operate the way it should from the factory. Now adding mods or bling to suit your needs and personalizing I can see but not to make it function the way it should have originally. So thank you for your input it helps reassure me I made the right choice.

Yeah that was Beretta1526. You can use the 15 rounders with the +3 baseplate to make seamless 18 rounders. But you can also use the +3 on a 17 rounder and have a gap but 20+1 on board. :D

Worry not my friend. You made an excellent choice. In fact, I believe that a month ago there was a thread on the Beretta Forum (my first forum, this was second) about a thread on M4Carbine.net that had a lot of terrible things to say about the Px4. I never read it so I won't say anything about that particular thread but I will say that if there were huge issues with the Px4 you would see threads pop up all the time on the Beretta Forum because its the internet and it is a great facilitator of complaining. :D

As proof that problems present themselves quickly you could find numerous threads about FTFs in the new Compact model and Beretta realized that there was a problem with the spring and no one has had a problem yet with the new spring (and some people didn't even have problems with the old spring).

Unfortunately I have not put too many rounds through my Px4 in the last 26 months as my living situation has made that difficult but I would bet that between me and my friends we've put close to 1000 rounds through it without a problem.

If you do hit a snag with your Px4 Compact (though I doubt you will) just sign up for the Beretta Forum and someone there would be more than happy to help diagnose and get it corrected. As I said, it was my first forum and this is my second so I certainly have a soft spot in my heart for both of them! :exciting:

ETA: I had an aftermarket stainless steel guiderod, the cam block and the barrel CeraPlated by CCR and it looks awesome. Accents nicely against the slide. Now that you have it, you'll probably want to mod it. haha

Edited by physicsnerd

My wife has told me I can't have anything without modding it. She was going to get me flying lessons several years back but decided not to as she said I would then have to buy a plane and then I'd have to modify it LOL. Beretta forum net was one of the sites I checked.

I'm going to get the .45acp version for ccw. My 1911 is too heavy, and I will not whore myself out to the candy-ass 9mm. Grown men should shoot grown men cartridges IMO. My .44mag is good for hiking, but only 5 big ass holes for bad neighborhood incidents.

• Like 1

I'm going to get the .45acp version for ccw. My 1911 is too heavy, and I will not whore myself out to the candy-ass 9mm. Grown men should shoot grown men cartridges IMO. My .44mag is good for hiking, but only 5 big ass holes for bad neighborhood incidents.

LOL! Wait a minute, what am I laughing about? You're right, IMO. Except I think a 40 is more than adequate. Oh well, different strokes......

Well the decision to go with a 9mm was due solely on the price of ammo. I can shoot a whole bunch more with the 9mm for alot cheaper. Also I can hardly ever find .45 around here but .40 and 9mm is everywhere.

Well the decision to go with a 9mm was due solely on the price of ammo. I can shoot a whole bunch more with the 9mm for alot cheaper. Also I can hardly ever find .45 around here but .40 and 9mm is everywhere.

The 9 works fine. I prefer 40 caliber but it's whatever anyone wants to run as far as I'm concerned. I rag on a few guys I know that run 9mm but it's all good natured ribbing. I especially like it when they boast mag capacity and I reply "Well, why don't you get a BB gun then? It holds a lot more rounds and is even easier on you limp wrist."

I love me some 9mm.

While I plan on carrying my Glock 23 (.40) when I get my CWP........I still wouldn't feel undergunned with my Glock 19. Given today's modern ammo, how different is quality SD 9mm compared to .40? Not a whole lot. To each his own, though.

I still want a .45, and I want a 1911. Hopefully someday I can satisfy both of those wants with a nice 1911. I heard Red Jacket is coming out with a 1911. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out, and it's price.

Gene, let us know how the Beretta does when you get it.

I've had my full size PX4 in 9mm for almost 6 months now with about 1k rounds through it. If you like DA/SA autos (like me), it's definitely the way to go. I haven't had a single failure to date. The sights take a little getting used to, my only complaint. I guess they're considered 'combat sights', so the front sight is a little skinnier than usual and doesn't fill the rear up (it's only about a 2/3rds of the gap) and the point of impact at 7-10 yards is on the dot, not above. Once you get over that, it's a FAST gun.

MidwayUSA has the 17 round 9mm mags on sale right now, too, BTW :smoke:

I got it yesterday will probably put some rounds through it this weekend if it's not raining. I got 2 mags with the gun and bought 5 additional mags from cdnn for $19.99 each. The 15 round mag with the 3 round extender and the 17 round spring allows the compact to hold 18 in the mag and 1 in the chamber with a flush fit to the grip or you can use the 17 round mag with the 3 round extender with a small gap. The ergos are very good in just handling it I have been practicing changing mags. I have short fingers but fairly wide hands so the reach to the trigger is perfect but my hand seems to cover the mag base requiring a slight release of grip to allow the mag to drop free the full size may have been better in this regard. I can easily reach the decocker safety lever but may reverse the mag release as I find it easier to release it with my trigger finger than with my thumb. If I shoot it left handed I won't have to change it but if I shoot it right handed i would prefer to move it. I can shoot with either hand pretty much equally well. I have read on the beretta forum there are guys that have put over 6,000 rounds through them with no malfunctions at all.

Looking forward to a range report.

I've been contemplating picking one of these up myself.

There are several videos on youtube of range reports for this pistol and it looks to be a very accurate handgun. I hope I can get the same accuracy out of me as I was seeing on those videos. I'm sure the pistol is capable of it I just have to measure up. I'll try hard to get some rounds through it this weekend and hopefully post up some pics. We've had close to 12" of rain since late March so dry days are few and far between right now and it's been fairly cold to with high winds.

Well I got to shoot it last evening at a friends house. We didn't have any real targets to shoot (was a last minute kind of thing) so we just shot up some card board with spray painted targets on it and a front to a washing machine. The first rounds I fired through it all were in a 5" group at about 20yrds. I then remembered the manual showing proper sight picture is the front sight covering almost all of the target poi. I then proceeded to put 3 rounds in one hole and 6 more rounds in 3 holes in a around 2" group with a couple of flyers not sure what happened most likely me not the pistol but all rounds from the mag were around 5-6" in grouping at 15yrds. I know pics or it didn't happen well I didn't take any pics as I didn't have my usual targets nor a camera. I can take pics of it though and will most likely do that but i want to get my usual targets out and try it again. My usual targets are the paper ones that are black with an orange bullseye but when the target gets hit it turns color at the poi so you can see the hit from a distance. I as well as my buddy was quite impressed. We put about 300 rounds into the washer front panel from my AR-15 though so the upper left corner was about all that wasn't all shot up so that's where I aimed with the Beretta. I was letting my friends nephew shoot the AR and he put most rounds through that. He is an elementary level kid so he thought it was great he wanted to keep shooting but it was getting late and darkness was setting in. We are currently getting hammered by storms again so hopefully this coming weekend I'll get to try some more formal targeting.