Removed FSB & GB for Bolten Sight Gas Block

I decided to upgrade my 7.62 Saiga with the Texas Weapons System Dog Leg Rail, Bolten Sight Gas Block and refinish with a Bead Blast, K-Phos and coat with Norrell's Molly Resin and reassemble to 922 Compliance. I had a Bulgi 74 and never liked the weight etc. so I removed it and the gas block to make room for the upgrades. I've been searching the net for days looking for ideas, and had quotes upwards of $300 for the damn blemishes! That one was for removing Bbl weld, turn, thread and bead blast.

Now what I need is some of the great advice that this forum is known for: any ideas on how to proceed with the business end of this rifle. When removing the Front Sight Block there are 2 dimples on the right and left side of barrel as well as 2 scores where the pins were on the bottom of the FSB - the rear score is 2 3/16 aft of the muzzle. Also keep in mind here in this wonderful state of mine we can NOT use a Flash Hider so the muzzle device must be a Comp/ Brake.

Also let us remain on topic and not get hijacked with the "omg you better be in compliance when cutting the barrel" Lets just assume we all agree it Will be done In Accordance with state and federal law/laws and more laws!!. God Bless America My Country Amen....

OK here are some ideas floating around and or suggested on this situation and will or may be helpful to the others that go to the Bolten Sight Gas Block configuation as well:

1. Barrel be cut (IAWLL etc.) threaded/crowned at 3.5" and install a barrel 4" Barrel extension with device attached and soldered? Will this affect rifling and or accuracy?

2. Have Barrel dimples and scores welded then turned then threaded Crowned and device attached soldered? This idea is very co$tly and would be away 2 months...and requires barrle removal.

3. Find a Muzzle device that will slip and thread onto barrel hiding the ugly blemishes onto Bbl >2 3/16" I like this the best if only Krebs had one like he has on the gun catalog #7 except with a comp/brake

4. Move out of state, to say Mo, cut of the bad parts thread it call it SBR and pay the tax? The country needs the money................

5. I'm am leaving option #5 to you guys, help me come up with somthing good so I can at least shot my gun in the next couple of weeks.

Lets see where this goes :D

FSC47 is classified as a muzzle brake and not a flash hider by BATF

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=57&idcategory=6

All of the FSC Series muzzle devices have been classified as a non-flash suppressing device by the BATFE, thus removing any restriction from assault weapon ban states or provinces. See the BATFE document here.

I used that same brake for one of my builds. Barrel cut ≈ 14.5" with the FSC47 blind pinned in place.

20aqrde.jpg

For your questions:

1. If crowned correctly it will not damage the rifling nor have an impact on trajectory. Now removing any length of barrel will always affect trajectory. You are lowering the bullets velocity among other variables that are changing.

Accuracy takes more into account than just trajectory. Namely the shooter...

2. I think I follow? You just want to cover up the blemishes? They don't affect the rifle at all... Heck you can "fill" them up with jb-weld, sand flush, then just paint. You'll never notice. Cutting at 14.5" will cut that part of the barrel off anyway though?

3. Don't follow this one... Cut at 14.5" and perm attach a FSC47...

4. Move out of commifornia? YES.

5. Cut at 14.5" and perm attach a FSC47.

edit---

Make sure you really want the bolten. It's front post isn't standard. To get elevation right you have to take a metal file and file the height of the post down when you zero.

Sure for most of my rifles I've only zero'ed them once and never touched them so for the most part this wouldn't be an issue.

But every time I've zero'ed I've almost always adjusted to far and had to back the adjustment(windage or elevation) back a hair. Don't have that luxury when you're just shaving off metal...

And I do have some rifles that I changed configs(new flash hider) and had to re-zero. Better hope your elevation doesn't change...

Edited by jamesavery22

Thanks James, yes I was looking and leaning towards the FSC47 a bit deafening according to the reviews and pricey but considering form and function it will probably be the one . As for item #3 (as pictured) I am referring to the Krebs KCI 08 it has the device over a shim to hide the marks as per krebs but it's unavailable. I can deal with the Bolten and it arrived today so it will be installed, Jim Fuller over at rifle dynamics uses these for good reason and I believe lessening the forward weight is a lot better for me on my X39 platform, I tend to be more practical with my weapons. With that said It doesn't seem to phase me anymore when I see the pics of some members rifles or shoties, I mean how much stuff can one put on a rifle/shot gun, I thought the bottle opener on a S12 was one of the best I've seen but I'm sure sooner or latter I will see a CD player and a Margarita maker stuffed on one as well. To each his own and especially great for the vendors :dollar:

Thank you for the advice on adjusting elevation, my sighting confidence is strong. The bolten part is very well made and fitment is perfect, it is from Venom a lot of pride put into there products, the Venom spc-ops rifles are some of the best around IMHO.

post-19136-0-53132700-1304022606_thumb.jpg