best after market puck ?

probably the either of the md arms pucks

Both MD Arms pucks are good options. If you need a little extra kick to your guns cycling ability then the MD Arms booster is the flat out best. If your gun cycles fine and you are just looking for a US made replacement then you have quite a few choices that all work well, but the MD Arms stainless is the lest expensive by a landslide.

Edited by fauxknight
  • Like 1

If you're having trouble cycling light loads, try the MD Arms booster puck. I couldn't cycle WalMart stuff with my drum and mags with factory puck. Installed the booster a few weeks back and it cycles the cheapest stuff now.

I have one from Kingarmory. The owner and I have been friends for years. To be honest I haven't tried it yet, but have been told they work great. He told me some other company has been copying his design, but it doesn't work as good as his.

The one that came in your gun :haha: Is the best IMO

The factory puck is great if your gas system is working correctly, (i.e. there are a sufficient number of unobstructed ports), but it's not so great for 922r compliance purposes.

I still use my factory puck, but if I decide to put an Izzy folding stock on my S-12, I'll need to pick up a US-made puck to add to my US parts count.

Is the gas PISTON the same thing as the gas PLUG?

I see the word PUC(K) and the word PLUG....what's the difference, if any?

Thanks,

FTS

PUCK is the thing floating around in the gas block, PLUG is the gas adjustment knob.

Piston = Puck

Edited by slostang

Thanks,

FTS

The (piston) is mounted on the end of your bolt carrier and the (puck) is behind your gas setting (plug). If you remove your plug (the thing with the 1 and 2 setting on it) the puck will slide out by tipping the barrel downward.

Thanks,

FTS

No, the puck is the little thing inside the gas tube that looks like a tiny hockey puck. The plug is the thing that screws into the end of the gas block that plugs or unplugs the gas ports...

Thanks,

FTS

The (piston) is mounted on the end of your bolt carrier and the (puck) is behind your gas setting (plug). If you remove your plug (the thing with the 1 and 2 setting on it) the puck will slide out by tipping the barrel downward.

I believe you are referring to the operating rod.

Piston = Puck...

Thanks,

FTS

No, the puck is the little thing inside the gas tube that looks like a tiny hockey puck. The plug is the thing that screws into the end of the gas block that plugs or unplugs the gas ports...

Thanks,

FTS

Piston = Puck...

I am no Saiga expert, but it would still be a piston?

Thanks,

FTS

Thanks,

FTS

Piston = Puck...

Should I replace the stock piston AND plug with updated models?

I have the V-Plug from MD Arms....do I need a Puck as well?

This is all VERY CONFUSING!

FTS

Should I replace the stock piston AND plug with updated models?

I have the V-Plug from MD Arms....do I need a Puck as well?

You don't need to replace it, if you were to do so there would be 2 legitimate reasons to do so:

1. You need a little extra cycling power.

2. You want a minimilist conversion that meets 922r compliance.

For reason 1 you get a booster puck, for reason 2 you get an American made puck. If your gun functions fine and is 922r compliant then you have no reason to replace it.

Fired it earlier today. Bulk Winchester from Wally world was about a two out of three. Remington game loads were better with a fte about every other mag. Remington 6 game loads did very well. All in all the low brass reliability kit helps a lot. I can see the logic behind the CSS performance puc. More than anything, I think my shotgun just needs more break in time to smooth out the fit between the hammer and bolt carrier. It would be easy to polish this, but I prefer to just cycle her a lot until the desired break in occurs naturally.

Edited by DLT