The finish on my old Mosin looked pretty sad,scratches,finish flaking off half the old black paint worn off and front sight cut to short. Well I had a few days off last week so I got started. I bedded the action,floated the barrel channel and corked the front barrel rest and made and new front sight pin. I painted the old metal parts flat black and refinished the stock and polished the bolt and lugs,now to see how she shoots in a couple weeks.

S & K mount with 2 x 7 x 32 LEE scope. Zeroed it in a couple days ago and it rock solid and held zero through 50 rds. so far.

The finish on my old Mosin looked pretty sad,scratches,finish flaking off half the old black paint worn off and front sight cut to short. Well I had a few days off last week so I got started. I bedded the action,floated the barrel channel and corked the front barrel rest and made and new front sight pin. I painted the old metal parts flat black and refinished the stock and polished the bolt and lugs,now to see how she shoots in a couple weeks.

S & K mount with 2 x 7 x 32 LEE scope. Zeroed it in a couple days ago and it rock solid and held zero through 50 rds. so far.

Edited by res45

Beautifull man. I just got a 44 as a present. what should i start on first?

You should start by leaving it the fuck alone. Only refinish it if it's in complete shit condition and the historical value is already largely ruined.

You should start by leaving it the fuck alone. Only refinish it if it's in complete shit condition and the historical value is already largely ruined.

YOU should start by minding your own business,who the HELL are you to tell me what to do with my rifle,I don't recall you paying for it or asking your opinion about what I should do with it. Personally I could care less about historical value I buy guns to shoot not sell later for monetary gain or to just look at as some wall hanger.

Edited by res45
  • Like 4

Anyone can restore one, but it takes a real man to cut one up.

Standby! I have a friend who has asked me to help him with his. He has no interest in colectable value, only in making it a shooter. Its starting life as a CHERRY post war model, and ending a hunting gun.

Ghost.jpg

YOU should start by minding your own business,who the HELL are you to tell me what to do with my rifle,I don't recall you paying for it or asking your opinion about what I should do with it. Personally I could care less about historical value I buy guns to shoot not sell later for monetary gain or to just look at as some wall hanger.

And a BIG PLUS ONE to that! :super:

I was responding to another poster's question, not suggesting what you should do with your rifle. He asked a question, I gave a response. What you do with your rifle is, indeed, your business. You didn't ask, and I didn't answer. Literacy - it's a life saver.

Plus, he's a 17 post troll.

I've found that people who are, shall we say, more blue collar and lower class,

have less value for originality and preservation. This goes from guns, to classic

cars, to homes, to really anything. This is where the term Bubba'ed Up comes from,

because, it also seems that, the more people want to modify stuff, the less capability

they actually possess to do so well.

Unfortunately, the Bubba'ing affects the entire community, because these types tend to

live paycheck to paycheck and not save money. Then, when times get hard, they have to sell

their toys, and the fucked-up gun that was once a good historical piece won't sell, because

no one wants their hacked up shit.

You can't buy taste. Many people look at an old war gun and think, hey, I can afford this,

then I can put rails on it and be TACTICAL, when it's like putting a 5000 dollar sound system

in an 86 Taurus. People forget that guns will out-live them, and there's a custodial responsibility

that MOST people can perceive to not fuck them up for the future generations.

I guess we need a picture of Mosin with a Get That Shit Off M44 caption like we have for the AK

with Kalashnikov.

Edit: The refinishing done by the OP is not bubba'ing, and looks awesome, and his gun needed it.

Edited by Kliegl
  • Like 1

So what the post count requirement to not be labeled a Troll,like you even know anything about me. I guess this forum just tailors to the elitist. Attitudes like this is exactly why I don't post on some forum anymore,individuals just sit around and look for somebody to put down,you know the type they just have to say something even if it's not constructive. I guess it makes them feel better about themselves and strokes there pride,I guess I made a mistake ever posting here in the first place. I guess 30+ years of reloading,competitive shooting and turning a crappy looking and shooting rifle into something useful isn't appreciate.

Edited by res45

Oh, please. It's not the 17 post count, it's that you were an asshole.

"YOU should start by minding your own business,who the HELL are you to tell me what to do with my rifle,I don't recall you paying for it or asking your opinion about what I should do with it. Personally I could care less about historical value I buy guns to shoot not sell later for monetary gain or to just look at as some wall hanger. "

Sound familiar?

I'm through on this one.

The governments that bought these rifles to send into battle would cut them up for scrap metal if it made them 1% more then selling them.

I own many military rifles and normally try to enjoy them in their stock configuration. I highly recommend that anyone looking to refinish a mosin nagant to take a look at preserving rather then a total refinish. In preserving you try to replicate the original factory finish, sadly I can't get many of the oil finishes to harden correctly due to the high humidity in FL.

You rifle looked pretty good to me.

• 1 month later...