wally world Fed. cheep stuff

any federal gold medal loads using that same combo... just remember that the cardboard base in the hulls will not last as long as the moulded ones... and you need to inspect EACH LOADING for damage to the base wads.

:smoke:

1.20 oz.

I have had good luck with 23 using the Fed. 12S4

wad.( that would be using the gold medal recipe.)

Their is the "Fed. Plastic hunting cases,paper base-

wad" recipe.....it calls for the WAA12R wad.

but it is to "deep"

I gess I'll have to add a over powder card and the

WAA12R wad and see if 27 pellits fit.

I'm not sure I want to be " wildcating" recipes

for 12 gauge......but if I'm going to end up with

400+ Fed. Hulls a mo. I would like to make them SHTF

Big Boy ammo....lol

Load recipe......

Fed. Bulk hull

Win. 209 primer

32.0 gr. SR 7625

Fed. 12S4 wad

23 ea. Nickel plated #4 buck (from Precision reloading)

buffer

very thin 20 gauge card bord

8 point fold crimp

Edited by FORKLIFT352

I am working on a 00 buck load with same hull

I haven't shot it yet but we will see this week end

Fed bulk hull

Win. 209 primer

33.0 gr. Blue dot

Fed. 12S4 wad

9 ea. 00 buck

buffer

very thin 20 gauge card bord

8 point fold crimp

The 00 buck worked very well.

I think I'll bump up the charge to 34 gr.Blue dot.

I will be going to the range first Sat. in June.

will report back.

I like the idea of going to the range. And comeing

home with 100 hulls for SHTF ammo and a smile.

MEC Jr. You could find one for 50.-75.00 used

150.-175.00 new.Simple to work.Do a youtube

to get an idea.

One could go cheeper with a Lee load all.

I got one used but havant tryed it yet.

I like the MEC because it can do 3" shells.

The promlem is I can dump 100 rounds a lot faster than that. I have been watching reloders on ebay some progresive types sell for 250 ish depending.

What does anybody think of the mec 9000 or the hornaday 366? I dont know how they work with buck and slugs. I think with the saiga12 and the amount of ammo I want to go through I would not be satisfied with a step by step reloder and would end up buying a progresive anyway

I have a Hornady LNL for my other guns and

like it very much.

Maybe you should call Hornady and ask about

buck and slugs. I would bet thay are more for

bird shot....

For the most part I shoot the fed bulk at the

range.And wanted a way to reload big boy

rounds a little cheeper.

Remember buck shot aint cheep. I use nickel

plated (harder than any reg.lead or copper)

a 10 lb. bag is 39.00 then theirs shipping.

I think you will get about 200 rd. of #4 buck

per 10 lbs.

I'm working on a 10 lb. Bag of 00 buck right now.

But still working up a load. So my gess would

be 200 as well.

Remember I'm saving my big boy rounds

for a rainy day.....and blowing off the fed.bulk

for good times.

If you want to allways shoot buck then you might

save a little money waaaaaaay down the road.

but the hulls really should only be reloaded 2 times

Now you are talken 250+ for a press 50. for 10 lb

of buck and 20+ for powder 40. For primers.

and that's just for about 200.-250 rounds.

You can get 250 rd. of factory buck for 109.00

I'm just saying for the price your looking at

for equipment you can get a MEC and lots of

buck and powder and primers AND more fed bulk.

But of corse if I had gobbs of money.....sure i

would go the rout your talking about.

&

And that would be because I would be shooting

my ass off......but like I say that's what the fatory

Fed. Bulk is for.

• 3 months later...

200 one ounce loads from a ten pound bag???

I am not sure where you learned math... one ounce of lead is one ounce! There are typically 16 ounces to the pound. That would seem to figure 160 ounces in 10 pounds. And... if lead were weighed in troy weight... you could expect 120 ounces in ten pounds. Regardless ... where can I buy a lead stretcher to get an extra Two and a half pounds of lead from a ten pound bag of lead? :lol:

I said about......i get 70 rds. From a hornady 5#

box of 00 buck. ( 9 pills ea.)

The stuff I get in a 10 # bag is nickel plated so

I would guess the weight to volume to be more

volume.

But you would be right 200 rdz. From a 10 # bag

would be nice.

Hay deadeye can we have some pics.?

If I remember right that press gos for 800.

right?

Any who, good luck with that.

Annnnd remember me in your will...LOL

I think Balistic Products has 00 on supper sale

(nick plate 8# 26.00...or sumthen like that.

• 2 weeks later...

This reloader kicks ass. progresive is the way to go. The only thing that sucks is when you screw up and you have 7 shells all in difrent stages. Also I have a once in a while primer that seats to deep. I havent figured out what is going on there. It is only maby 1 out of 20 that seat to deep. Any advice would be apreciated.

most of the hulls I have look fairily new but they came with the reloader so I dont know how many times the have been used. I havent bought any buck yet. just 7 .5 shot and green dot powder. So far I have made a little over 500 rounds. I just drives me crazy when they dont fire and the primer is pushed in to deep. I have a lot of good rounds just a fiew that are that way. How do I tell If I am pushing the primer in to hard. I alwase go down till the handle hits the stop.

For shits and giggles i would get a bag (100ea.) of none primed hulls and see if you get the same results.....

Orrrrrrr a bulk pack of winchester shoot em up and reload.....eather way if all 100 do well then it was the beat up hulls.

And if you still got the same prob.......you might seat primer a little slower and not so hard.

On my Hornady LnL you can jam that primer in to deep....but not with out trying.

hope that helps.........pics please

• 2 weeks later...

so, this may be the wrong thread to ask this, but, you can use low brass shells to reload with? a random guy at the range this weekend said it wouldnt work, he tried it. i am pretty sure that when you guys say rem bulk you mean low "brass". so he was mistaken? didnt know how to do it? i wanna do #4, buck etc, but i dont wanna have to stick exclusively with hi brass.

and what i remember reading on here in the past is that you only get like 2 reloads outta each shell and then its trashed? thanks!!!

ps, indy, i worked over in rome for a few weeks once. its interesting up there. i was driving too slow and a granny was raging on me!!!!

so, this may be the wrong thread to ask this, but, you can use low brass shells to reload with? a random guy at the range this weekend said it wouldnt work, he tried it. i am pretty sure that when you guys say rem bulk you mean low "brass". so he was mistaken? didnt know how to do it? i wanna do #4, buck etc, but i dont wanna have to stick exclusively with hi brass.

and what i remember reading on here in the past is that you only get like 2 reloads outta each shell and then its trashed? thanks!!!

ps, indy, i worked over in rome for a few weeks once. its interesting up there. i was driving too slow and a granny was raging on me!!!!

You can reload ANY hull you want to... the problem is that with MOST cheap low base hulls they use a formed paper base wad which will deteriorate over time and cause issues. In the case of Remington Nitro Gold, and STS hulls they are LOW BASE but have a one piece formed basewad/hull so by the time the base wad detereiorates, the hull is already split to hell and not reloadable. I can get EASILY a half dozen reloads out of these hulls if not more. I just inspect them when reloading. Any hulls that have splits by the crimp petals, or side walls are tossed. If they wont crimp right, those get disassembled and tossed too. If I start running low on Nitro gold hulls I spend the money on 4 new boxes at walmart... shoot them and have brand new hulls to reload again.

Win A&A hulls are good too... but some of the newer ones do not have the one piese hull/basewad... they load the same, but arent quite as good in my opinion... but again... you can get MULTIPLE loadings from these easily.

I also used to reload the CHEAP federal top gun hulls ONCE for plinking-practice-just for fun trap loads ( as opposed to competition trap loads when shooting on leagues... ) These hulls had the molded paper base wad and reloaded just fine. I just would not want to load them a LOT... Hope all that helps a little bit to clarify.

I would stick with high base hulls when loading for magnum loads, and hi power loads as ther higher brass base adds some structure and strength to the lower part of the shell. Sure you can load any load in a low base hull... just make sure the load data concurrs... :up:

Looks like kind of an old thread, but I thought I would add that there are some good buckshot and slug loads on the Hodgdon website. And +1 on the Remington STS/Nitro hulls. The local sporty's store here has some Peters trap loads that appear to be the same hulls, but in blue. And they are a couple bucks cheaper per box than the Remmy ammo.