Whats the verdict on the TAC-47 auto plug

I was really looking at one of these...what is the verdict? I think it would be nice to not have to adjust when going from bird shot to slugs and 00 buck.

I've heard that shooting high power rounds on the Saiga on the low setting would put more stress on the gun. Wouldn't it be the same with the auto plug, one setting for all rounds? Or is there something that vents the excess pressure not needed when shooting the higher power rounds?

Dennis

I have a tac 47 autoplug and after tuning it to my gun it works flawlessly and i get a consistent ejection of shells in the same area with a few slightly hotter shells going a bit further, not much though. I love the fact that i can load buck slug bird shot and just go funkin nuts with it. I have put over 500 rds of slug buck and birdshot through it with no ill effects on the gun's trunnion or receiver.

• Like 1

How long did it take to tune yours?

I took mine out today and on the setting that was sent seemed over gassed. I took it down until it wouldn't work then a half turns out until it seemed to fire well. I was still getting a couple of FTF... round nosed up caught on upper edge of chamber. I was thinking it may be mag springs weak in that the bolt is over taking the round before it gets in place. It seemed like it was happening when i rapid fired. double taps no issues. i did get through couple of mags mixed with winchester bulk and double "00" buck. sweet. i am going out again in the AM to try bulk federal and winchester and tune some more. I think i am going to like this mod. got to love this shot gun about 100 rounds 20 minutes no shoulder soreness. good loves saigas.

Edited by leadslinger
  • Like 1

I was really looking at one of these...what is the verdict? I think it would be nice to not have to adjust when going from bird shot to slugs and 00 buck.

I've heard that shooting high power rounds on the Saiga on the low setting would put more stress on the gun. Wouldn't it be the same with the auto plug, one setting for all rounds? Or is there something that vents the excess pressure not needed when shooting the higher power rounds?

Dennis

Checked Tac 47's website. This is their product description:

The leader in gas utilization and regulation technology, resulting in a major increase in Saiga 12 reliability and longevity, freedom of ammo choice, and convenience. its an amalgamation of efficiency and automatic setting free regulation of the Saiga 12 Gas System. The Auto Plug tm takes the place of the factory Gas Adjustment Plug. It eliminates the need to manually change settings by automatically regulating the operations gas utilization. It maximizes the efficiency of the Saiga 12 Gas System. Its helps under gassed guns cycle more reliably and also regulates and releases excess gas pressure form High Brass and self defense ammo harmlessly into ambient pressure zone.

I guess that its not a simple 1 position valve set. It does release excess gas pressure.

• Like 1

ok went out today with federal bulk. My 12 doesn't like it at all. this is unusual as i hear its the winchester that gives everyone problems. still no issues with double taps just when i try to pull the trigger as fast as i can. i wander if i am not keeping tight check weld. still when i see some of the old pics guys are getting rapid fire with no recoil assistance form their body. I forget who it is that demo's his on finger tech while holding the stock of the weapon under his arm. Now am i being picky? maybe? i don't have this issue when i shot single or double tap rounds so the weapon is reliable as far as that goes. I would just like to see it work when i squeeze the trigger as fast as i can. any thoughts?

i am using thsurefirere 8 round mags. Again i wander about stiffer mag springs or polishing the angle of the upper chamber so when the round comes up it is a smooth transition into chamber? its seems like a simple and small fix that i need i just haven't found it yet.

other than that tauto plugplug is sweet!!!!!!

Oh yeah....

i discover the importance of perceivedercieved recoil today. I also took my maverick 88 out out to test my new mods. I took off the OEM stock and forehand and replaced them wMossbergmossberg 500 action bar and wood ribbed forearm and a wood youth or bantom stockgaveis gavve about a 12.5 LOP then i use a kick ezz recoil pad which brought the LOP back to about 13 1/4.

Before when i was using the OEM stock at about 14 to 15 LOP and the kick ezz it still recoiled sharply and left sorenshouldermy sholder.

Today with proper length of pull it was almost as soft as the saiga. Now thats saying something for a pump. It presented itself well, easy to swing. sat right in the shoulder pocket and instead of a sharp recoil it was more of a push.

The weight of the youth stock didn't significant enough perceived the percieved recoil that much.

It felt so good i almost thought about selling my S12.........NOT!!!! but it is nice to have another sweet shotgun.

• Like 1

My guess is that with tbe longer stock it was forcing your shoulder to sit farther back in its range of motion in order to get a decent cheekweld. the shorter stock gave your shoulder its entire range of motion to absorb ths recoil, rather than trying to move backwards when it cant. JMHO.

Based on my personal experience, I'd say that Mike Rogers at Lone Star Arms is most definitely "the leader in gas utilization and regulation technology", built into the gun, not dependent on 1 part, but I digress. ;)

I'd potentially be interested in one of these auto-plugs, but do you ever have to change the setting with these, after "tuning it for the gun"? Right now, I have to switch to factory gas setting 2 to fire crappy birdshot once the gas block's a little dirty, (after ~50 rnds). Of course, I have a ~13" factory barrel, with a permanently attached Tromix Monster Brake to make it legal without a stamp.

No you don't have to change anything other than every so often tuning it back in. I've had mine for what...a year and a half now and gave it a tiny adjustment twice now, well over 1500 rounds during this time.

Z

I put mine on yesterday and went out today with a screwdriver for my first outing. I also put in a CSS puc. Shot Remington #6, 2 3/4 & 3 '00' and 2 3/4 slugs - I forgot to get grab the cheap stuff when I went out the door. Wow! Didn't have to adjust one bit! My measure was where the cases were landing - and they all were on top of each other. I'm a newbie to the 12, and when I converted it, I just changed over the stock gas plug (the AK video convinced me). All I can say is from what I've seen so far - I'm glad I got it. Gonna send some crap through it tomorrow if I get a chance.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Dennis

Checked Tac 47's website. This is their product description:

The leader in gas utilization and regulation technology, resulting in a major increase in Saiga 12 reliability and longevity, freedom of ammo choice, and convenience. its an amalgamation of efficiency and automatic setting free regulation of the Saiga 12 Gas System. The Auto Plug tm takes the place of the factory Gas Adjustment Plug. It eliminates the need to manually change settings by automatically regulating the operations gas utilization. It maximizes the efficiency of the Saiga 12 Gas System. Its helps under gassed guns cycle more reliably and also regulates and releases excess gas pressure form High Brass and self defense ammo harmlessly into ambient pressure zone.

I guess that its not a simple 1 position valve set. It does release excess gas pressure.

i COULD BE WRONG , BUT THEIR WEBSITE TECH WROTE IN ANOTHER THREAD THAT  the plug works in the 20 ga. as well ; if thats so -why do they consistently specify only the 12 ga ??

I like the autoplug personally, but as far as i know it is not recommended to shoot slugs with it.

On my 19" s12 I found that i dont really have a need for it. After TAC47 converted it for me, i am able to set it to setting 1 on the stock plug and shoot anything out of it including bird shot and slugs. Therefore, I now dont even use the auto plug.

Edited by MS-12

There are plenty of other threads about it. I have 2 for a reason.

Yes Tac47 has said it works with the S20. I forget what thread that was, but it was about 4 months ago in the S20 section. There isn't a lot of traffic there, so it shouldn't be hard to find.

As for slugs: 1: Not all slugs are the same power! ditto buckshot, birdshot.....  - -beats head on wall- - 2: I shoot full power 3" ammo because I did this: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/gallery/album/1219-tac47-autoplug-gf-magnum-edition-mark-15/ (full writeup of reasoning at the gallery page.)

yes , I was referring to that thread in the Saiga 20 posting ........and thats my question :

-why do they consistently specify only the 12 ga ??

.could it be that there's so few Saiga 20's out there that it's not even worth the ink to mention they also work in the 20's ?sad.png