Alot of people on other forums and elsewhere seeem to think that in a shtf/apocolypse type situation 5.56/.223 ammo will be more available and more widely used than any other due to more people using it now and future ammo import restrictions. My shtf setup is in 7.62X39. Just wanted to get some opinions on this from you guys.

I dunno.. I went 308 caliber on my Saiga and my DPMS LR-308.. :killer:

in the US I would THINK 223 would be more available.. but at the rate its going up in price you need to decide FAST these days.. IMHO..

if you think your gonna take out the military and take THERE ammo you may have it BACKWARDS.. :blues:

Al

During Katrina shotgun shells were nowhere to be found. Driving through small towns in south Louisiana, gas stations had handwritten signs stating: "we have shotgun shells". My money is on the Scattergun.

Yakdung

• Like 1

If you really think stock piling the most available ammo is going to save you then you are starting off on the wrong foot. Learn to farm, grow your own food. You starve you die. Ammo wont feed you, despite what you think. Yes short term hunting blah blah blah zombie killing. Throw all that shit out the window. Knowledge is power. Self sufficiency is the key. Not stock piling.

btw chille, no offense but that is hardly a stock pile.

Edited by Chevyman097
  • Like 1

There are going to be two types of ammunition during a SHTF scenario. Yours and everyone elses.

There will be no scrounging, just stealing. Caliber will not matter at all. If you find a new caliber, it will only be in the posession of another person, who likely has a means to keep you from taking it, or a means to take yours from you.

That said, ammunition is not the answer at all. You need food, water and shelter before you ever worry about ammo.

• Like 1

You need food, water and shelter before you ever worry about ammo.

Isn't ammo one way to acquire these things? :up:

Not solely. Yes maybe for secondary way of providing food but you need to be able to provide a long term food source if you wan to have any chance at all.

• Like 1

Nobody is going to need thousands of rounds for SHTF. If the situation is so bad that you need that much, you will already have been killed in a one of your many firefights.

Most of my ammo stock is for practice at the range.

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • Like 2

its the 500 rounds of 308 that hurt the :dollar::dollar:

The German DAG is not too expensive.

Nice stuff. My buddy and I got a few thousand rounds. My S308 eats it like candy, but his PTR-91 Paratrooper doesn't cycle it at all. German gun having problems with German ammo! LOL! This PTR-91 that he has weighs a ton, has this extremely uncomfortable retractable stock and very rough charging action. I have no idea why he likes that overpriced POS so much.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

SHTF is different from TEOTWAWKI.

SHTF is temporary and will either return to normal(relatively or otherwise) or eventually become TEOTWAWKI.

Either way, Ammo is just one of many things to stock up on. A variety, including what you may not have a use for initially, is good as you can use the extra for trade. Trade is something that alot of people dont think much about. It's always either "stockpile/make" or "take".

Always start with what you need/can use and can carry if you need to evac on foot. Then what you can reasonalby transport via vehicle. This is your SHTF level of preparedness. After that, you can stock up on everything else.

As for preffered calibers, rather than switching setups in mid prep, go with what you have. If, by chance, during a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI, you come across other stockpiles/supplies, etc., there will likely be a matching weapon somewhere nearby. Don't worry so much about what may or may not by available later. Put up 500-1000 rounds of what your primary weapons are and half that for secondaries. And take up reloading, evan if just by hand.

Also, remember, skills are a tradeable commodity as well. The more you know how to do, the better off you and yours will be. However, all the pre-industrial skills in the world, will be useless if you don't survive the initial crisis or series there of.

• Like 1

There are going to be two types of ammunition during a SHTF scenario. Yours and everyone elses.....

......That said, ammunition is not the answer at all. You need food, water and shelter before you ever worry about ammo.

Ammo will help you protect your food, water, and shelter.

• Like 1

I have a ton of ammo, mostly 7.62x39, 7.62x54R and .223. I'm not really that worried about SHTF, I have access to property as a fall-back point, with fresh water and a lake full of fish. Be prepared, have some food and water, keep your friends close and make sure you teach them how to shoot your guns, I have enough guns and ammo to arm each of my friends and have enough left over for some of their friends. If the shit actually hits the fan, don't expect to survive on your own, humans need other humans.

• Like 3

I have a ton of ammo, mostly 7.62x39, 7.62x54R and .223. I'm not really that worried about SHTF, I have access to property as a fall-back point, with fresh water and a lake full of fish. Be prepared, have some food and water, keep your friends close and make sure you teach them how to shoot your guns, I have enough guns and ammo to arm each of my friends and have enough left over for some of their friends. If the shit actually hits the fan, don't expect to survive on your own, humans need other humans.

I remember the post about being in the riots in Egypt, and how sharing with neighbors results in more rewards. Having ammo to shoot and kill your own neighbors for what little they have will only leave you a hungry and alone murderer. Get to know the people you live near. They will be your first asset should things go bad. +1 on the farming and remember a water filtration pump for getting your drinking H2O from local rivers or streams.

Guns and ammo will be a useful visual deterrent, or "Politeness stick" but are no source of food or water. What are you gonna do? Shoot everyone and then have order restored in a week and then go to jail forever? Guns for self defense, not pillaging and looting. Losing power and water or government does not mean losing your Humanity.

MY SHTF gun looks very different than most. IMHO sitting still is the easiest way to have someone with more gun, more ammo, more patience or whatever to soon own everything you once did. Movement is gonna be key and your gonna wanna try and keep out of sight rathor than run around with an assault rifle and backpack full of thousands of rounds drawing attention to yourself.

I'm building a Thompson Contender package.

Small enough to be hidden in urban/populated areas.

Variety of barrel packages, 5.56, 7.62, 308, 30.06, 22, 410, you could add just about anything popular in your area that your likely to run across and " field requisition " could carry 10 barrels and the pistol frame in less space than the ammo needed to run an AK or AR.

Barrels can be changed quickly and with the quick detach scope mounts you could make it suit just about any situation from hunting to snipeing as needed.

no need to carry multi guns... just need the right one and I think for what I envision as SHTF... this is about as close as it gets.

Meh, I dunno... thinking outloud again

Waylon

Edited by datrowl

If you really think stock piling the most available ammo is going to save you then you are starting off on the wrong foot. Learn to farm, grow your own food. You starve you die. Ammo wont feed you, despite what you think. Yes short term hunting blah blah blah zombie killing. Throw all that shit out the window. Knowledge is power. Self sufficiency is the key. Not stock piling.

Stock pile? Thats just a lil of everything. :rolleyes:

If I need to stockpile, my game plan is fucked up, that we agree on.

I've a wife and three kids, we plan to Bug In, active Zombie Hunting and such is not in my game plan.

I'm hardly a Saintly man, but I/we are LDS aka Mormon, and we've our one year of food storage ready, thank you.

We also actively garden and have seed stores. We Can the excess produce of our garden..

Now that is a dying art, and most may be able to garden/farm at a subsistence level, but they don't know how to store it.

One big problem we have though is the lack of a cellar for cool storage of certain fruits/vegetables, e.g. apples/potatoes, the water table is too high to allow for one.

• Like 2

That said, ammunition is not the answer at all. You need food, water and shelter before you ever worry about ammo.

Disagree on one point.

If you've food, water & shelter, you better be able to defend it if needs be... And pray that you needs not to.

Stock pile? Thats just a lil of everything. :rolleyes:

lol well played. nice

I'm hardly a Saintly man, but I/we are LDS aka Mormon,

Im sorry.

You need food, water and shelter before you ever worry about ammo.

Isn't ammo one way to acquire these things? :up:

If you mean by force, no.

Unless you want to die rather quickly... You start doing that, and your a Zombie in my book... BANG! :killer:

• Like 1

IMO if shtf tomorrow all ammo is going to be rare. People are going to stampede and pick the stores clean. Ammo and food. Of course that's worst case scenario among other things.

I'm assuming this topic was started on the basis that food and water are in good supply? Nobody should have to be reminded that they need to eat or take care of their family, that's just offensive.

2c.gif