Nobody should have to be reminded that they need to eat or take care of their family, that's just offensive.

I beg to differ. You underestimate the stupidity of today's society. One particular fella here recently even suggested stocking piling ammo because with guns you can take whatever you like. :ded:

Nobody should have to be reminded that they need to eat or take care of their family, that's just offensive.

I beg to differ. You underestimate the stupidity of today's society. One particular fella here recently even suggested stocking piling ammo because with guns you can take whatever you like. :ded:

Too true. Reminds me of this motivational poster I once saw:

common-sense.jpg

Sure, you can take whatever you want if you have a gun...but you better damn well hope you're the only one packing. Wicked bad juju comes to those, and their loved ones, with that sort of behavior/mentality.

Of course you should stock up on ammo. You should also stock up on food, at least some water with a way to acquire and purify more, and other necessities. You should also be prepared to be self-sufficient should it appear that the problem will be long term, as you cannot store enough for a lifetime.

As for using your gun to take what you need, that won't last long.

"Battlefield pickups" are ok, but don't rely on that being your main supply line. You have to get into a gunfight to even reach that point, and you have to decisively win. They will be burning up their ammo trying to keep from getting killed, while you burn up yours trying to kill them. Also, the noise will bring others, who may be better prepared than you to "decisevely win", and pick up your stuff.

How much ??

I would start with at least 1000rds for each weapon, with 2000rds or more being better for primary defense longarms and primary hunting weapons. In an urban area, higher round counts may be better for primary carry handguns, as a "semi-shtf" could leave everybody moving around somewhat normally, but in a semi-lawless kind of state. For this, something concealable but relatively powerful is good.

Really, there's only 2 times I can think of that you can have too much ammo: when you're swimming, and when you're on fire.

No, I won't show pics of my "stash".

• Like 1

SHTF is different from TEOTWAWKI.

True. I tend to overlook that and emphasize the latter at times. SHTF would be like what is going on in some parts of my state (GA.) right now. Tornado's wiped out several communities, people lost everything, and in at least one of those the two legged fucking rodents have already moved in to loot the debris of peoples homes,and pick clean what they can find.

If it were my (former)home and I caught one of these sonofabitches I can honestly say I would probably bust several caps in his ass, even though I'm sure I would be hung for it and the looters would go scot free...

We Can the excess produce of our garden..

Now that is a dying art, and most may be able to garden/farm at a subsistence level, but they don't know how to store it.

One big problem we have though is the lack of a cellar for cool storage of certain fruits/vegetables, e.g. apples/potatoes, the water table is too high to allow for one.

Thats a interesting point. My Mom used to can stuff, and my grandmother canned a LOT of stuff, but I don't know many folks who still know how or do.

About the cellar, I remember a old farmhouse that burned down back when I was a teenager. The structure was still standing, though the inside was charred. Me and my buds used to explore that place because the barn was still intact and it was sort of an adventure to see what we could find. The people who had lived there had moved on, and I remember coming across a root cellar they had on the property with canned goods still inside. I remember seeing canned peppers and peaches, and some other stuff. I've always wondered if any of it was edible, but didn't have the nerve to try it back then lol.....

I beg to differ. You underestimate the stupidity of today's society. One particular fella here recently even suggested stocking piling ammo because with guns you can take whatever you like.

To each his own fantasy of course, but it's still funny that some folks cling to rules and morality while imagining doomsday scenarios. Why deny human nature? Is it too unsettling?

Here's are some helpful parameters for your kid-gloved SHTFantasy: don't call strangers stupid, and don't piss on folks' religions. You might make it an extra day in Fallout-ville.

Edited by Koljec

Chile, have you thought about burying one of those big, heavy gauge, plastic water containers like you see around farms/in the back of p/u trucks and such. I know you can get them at a Farm & Fleet/TSC. And iirc they're cheaper than the actual drop in bunkers. Just not as easy to get into.

The one year supply thing, was a standard for ALL rural folk at one time, if possible. Hence "Harvest Festivals". You gotta get rid of the old as well as take stock/prepare the new.

My family used to have fall canning/tool/car repair parties. Sadly, most of us don't bother anymore. Besides, I prefer dried and vacuum sealed to canned. Don't care for cooked veggies anyway, lol. Need to start drying again though. Still have the dehydrator.

Chile, have you thought about burying one of those big, heavy gauge, plastic water containers like you see around farms/in the back of p/u trucks and such. I know you can get them at a Farm & Fleet/TSC. And iirc they're cheaper than the actual drop in bunkers. Just not as easy to get into.

The one year supply thing, was a standard for ALL rural folk at one time, if possible. Hence "Harvest Festivals". You gotta get rid of the old as well as take stock/prepare the new.

My family used to have fall canning/tool/car repair parties. Sadly, most of us don't bother anymore. Besides, I prefer dried and vacuum sealed to canned. Don't care for cooked veggies anyway, lol. Need to start drying again though. Still have the dehydrator.

If you go this route most inground cystern tanks need to stay partially full to not collapse, there are some that are rated for being empty but I found that they were in the $1000.00 range for a 1500 gallon with a 24" man hole. The other thing you need to do is make sure it can't float out of the ground if you have a high water table by pouring concrete around the tank.

Good luck lugging around your massive supply of ammo and resupplying off other people Rambo style. In a true SHTF, ammo won't be on the shelves anymore, no matter how available it is.

I'll stick with 22LR as my SHTF round. No hospitals means every wound can be fatal, especially a round to the chest. The last thing anyone wants is to be shot.

Good luck lugging around your massive supply of ammo and resupplying off other people Rambo style. In a true SHTF, ammo won't be on the shelves anymore, no matter how available it is.

I'll stick with 22LR as my SHTF round. No hospitals means every wound can be fatal, especially a round to the chest. The last thing anyone wants is to be shot.

I agree. In a world where bullets might matter you can't be picky. Regardless of caliber, being hit by a bullet will do damage. Regardless of caliber, you will go for cover when shot at. And I'm pretty sure an innocent bystander wound kills regardless of caliber.

But while ammo is still plentiful, as far as handguns go, I'll avoid 45acp. Too popular imo.

Heck the locals here kill each other over video games.

I can't imagine what it would be like if they actually miss a meal or two.

From my experience, gamers hardly notice missed meals. Always one more level they gotta run through.

Funny story: Back in high school a buddy of mine got hungry while playing whatever online game was in style at the time and, without realizing it, made his character eat instead of getting something real for himself.

Fuck it... Just put away a lil of everything. :angel:

100_9557.jpg

[

I AM ENVIOUS!!! Course, leave it up to another ol "Bama boy" to be ready! LOL I was born in Butler county, so I know bout being "prepared"!

The .22 LR is often overlooked, but is one of the best all around rounds there is. It will drop anything you need to eat...if you practice shot placement, which everyone here ought to be up to snuff on. A good .22 semi auto can be had for a decent price and you can store a LOT of ammo for it for a song compared to center-fire rounds. It ain't too hard to make one "quiet" either!

I'm surprised nobody is mentioning reloading.

I have the capability within a day period with no power to produce several thousand rounds of ammo with on-hand supplies. I also have calibers that are uncommon (.300 Whisper, .260, 7.62x25) that I can make using once-fired components from various other calibers.

Combine this with bullet casting, and you can make as many rounds as you have primers (gun powder can be fabricated post SHTF, but primers are a little more tricky and dangerous).