Stovepipe of last live round in converted Saiga with bullet guide

I thought there was a thread that covered this but for the life of me I can't find it.

The issue is with my converted Saiga with Dinzag bullet guide. When firing from Galil Orlites, the last round will try to and has been ejected through the ejection port. In some cases it won't have the momentum to eject and the live round will stovepipe. I'll have to double check, but there may be marks on the chamber face.

These are things that may be wrong and I could use your assistance in trying to figure this out.

1. Misaligned bullet guide
  2. Weak magazine springs
  3. Need to chamfer edge of chamber
  4. Magazines need to be fitted (there is the usual front to back wobble of Galil Orlites)
  5. Magazines need to be otherwise modified, see below
  6. Short stroking

Number 5 above: I thought I saw a thread where someone had to file the inside of their Galil Orlite so the round wouldn't point towards the ejection port side of the chamber face during feeding.

Other notes that might be helpful:

1. Tested with Wolf 62gr FMJ (older production)
  2. Tested with WPA 55gr FMJ (Barnaul factory)
  3. Haven't tried brass cased rounds
  4. Only tried between 1 and 4 rounds in a magazine at a time

1. Misaligned bullet guide

Probably not, as that would affect feeding more so than ejection. But a pic would be helpful.

2. Weak magazine springs

Seems unlikely to be the case if, as implied, you tested with more than one magazine. How many, exactly? And does this problem only happen with Orlites? Are there any marks on the top of the mag that make you suspect the bolt is dragging on the top of the mag or the follower?

• Like 1

If I read this correctly all outher rounds feed and eject fine exept the last round ? Try feeding the last round in the mag and then fire if it fails to eject put a round back in feed it remove mag and see if it still fails to eject if it does not then you probly have a mag problem

• 2 weeks later...

I believe your problem lies in the mag, not the bullet guide. My .223 Saiga with bullet guide has the same problem with a couple of steel Galil mags. I converted four, one works perfectly, one most of the time, and two do exactly what your Orlite is doing. The last round advances slightly forward when the next to last round is stripped from the mag, causing the last round to nose dive just enough to strike below the chamber. I suspect the follower or how it lines up w/o tension of additional rounds is the problem.

I do not have that problem with my TAPCO Galil/Golani mags, they feed flawlessly. Both mag types required mods, but the TAPCOs required only a slight relief of the front of the mag where the follower guide touches the mag wall. Here is a pic of an unmodified mag. The internal tabs on the side of the mag prevent the follower from rising above the flush level. I use a small dremel tool to hollow out the area above the tab (both sides), allowing the front of the follower to rise slightly above instead of flush. The mag works with only this mod, but is slightly loose. Another mod can be done on the back of the mag where the mag catch contacts, which then makes them lock up nice and tight.

post-26538-0-70910900-1305260384_thumb.jpg