Another charge handle option by Tromix

Here is another bolt on charge handle option by Tromix.

This one is smooth without the knurles. $22

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-1040/Tromix-Saiga-Ak47-extended/Detail

post-9063-0-42795300-1304110873_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Did you try drilling an indent into the factory charging handle so the screw had something to set into?

No, didnt think about that. guess you have to be smarter than what you're working with. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

Did you try drilling an indent into the factory charging handle so the screw had something to set into?

No, didnt think about that. guess you have to be smarter than what you're working with. Thanks for the tip.

I was having the same problem, so I took mine off. It's a great product, but I'm gonna leave it off a while. My gun is slightly undergassed with low brass, so the extra weight probably isn't worth it. If I shot nothing but high brass loads, I'd drill the bolt handle.

I was having the same problem, so I took mine off. It's a great product, but I'm gonna leave it off a while. My gun is slightly undergassed with low brass, so the extra weight probably isn't worth it. If I shot nothing but high brass loads, I'd drill the bolt handle.

Yeah, mines currently sitting in my safe. But will decide which Saiga I'll want it on for good a drill a detent hole so the dogone thing won't fall off. Hmmmm...decisions, decisions.

Hope it stays on better than the old version. Ive used lock tight before I tightened it down good and no matter what after a 50 rounds or so ill find it in the dirt. Very cool though

Samey same. I guess you could drill a detent in the CH to ensure this doesn't happen, but I'm a helluva lot less likely to do that than I once was.

It's a good concept, and it's nice to have a bolt-on option on the market, but as I've gained experience with the platform, I've stopped trying to "fix" things like the design of the AK charging handle. I've gotten used to it, (and good with it), and now prefer it.

ymmv.

Hope it stays on better than the old version. Ive used lock tight before I tightened it down good and no matter what after a 50 rounds or so ill find it in the dirt. Very cool though

Samey same. I guess you could drill a detent in the CH to ensure this doesn't happen, but I'm a helluva lot less likely to do that than I once was.

It's a good concept, and it's nice to have a bolt-on option on the market, but as I've gained experience with the platform, I've stopped trying to "fix" things like the design of the AK charging handle. I've gotten used to it, (and good with it), and now prefer it.

ymmv.

Yeah, im still on the fence about doing it. Might just sell it as Im not keen on permanent mods as I like to change setups often. And also, like you stated, have stopped trying to fix what already works just fine.

no problems with mine and no lock tight.

problem is you guys arnt tightening it enough and the little allen key it comes with isnt good enough to tighten it enough

since ive been a pro mechanic for many years i have the right tools and i tightend it super super super tight and it never comes off

and dont worry it wont break or strip just go at it and make sure its super tight

I mixed some "steel stix" putty together filled the cavity of the knob, pushed it on, red locktite on the threads, wiggled it to find the sweet spot while cranking down on it with a 4" allen wrench per the directions.....over 1000 rounds later its never budged.....

....which is kind of a bummer now cuz I want this new one! :cryss:

I have the welded on handle on my gun, but have installed Tony's bolt-on's on friends and shop guns. Never had any issues.

Clean the threads 100% and hit 'em w/ red loctite...They shouldn't go anywhere.

I love the original Tromix bolt-on's, new ones look great too. Great to see continuous excellent products from Tromix.

Hey guys,

I find it strange to read that a very few users have trouble with the Tromix bolt-on charging handles flying of during usage. If properly installed, and the original charging handle surface is the stock, unmodified factory profile, it is IMPOSSIBLE for this to occur. Let me add a few hints that may be useful to some users: First, make sure you have it on correctly. The setscrew needs to face forward, toward the muzzle. Next, make sure you follow the Tromix instructions and degrease the threads on both the setscrew and handle itself. MAKE SURE TO LET IT DRY BEFORE GOING ANY FARTHER. Apply RED Loctite to both surfaces, per instructions. Another hint: Make sure the Loctite isn't old. If Loctite is old enough, it WON'T set up. In fact, it will act as a lubricant and help the handle disengage itself. Tighten the heck out of it per instructions. Now------------give the Loctite a chance to set up. A few hours will usually be okay, but just to be safe, leave it overnight. If you try to use it to soon, the Loctite is a lubricant again. If you follow these instructions, you will never have a problem with this product. It's designed to stay on.

Hey guys,

I find it strange to read that a very few users have trouble with the Tromix bolt-on charging handles flying of during usage. If properly installed, and the original charging handle surface is the stock, unmodified factory profile, it is IMPOSSIBLE for this to occur. Let me add a few hints that may be useful to some users: First, make sure you have it on correctly. The setscrew needs to face forward, toward the muzzle. Next, make sure you follow the Tromix instructions and degrease the threads on both the setscrew and handle itself. MAKE SURE TO LET IT DRY BEFORE GOING ANY FARTHER. Apply RED Loctite to both surfaces, per instructions. Another hint: Make sure the Loctite isn't old. If Loctite is old enough, it WON'T set up. In fact, it will act as a lubricant and help the handle disengage itself. Tighten the heck out of it per instructions. Now------------give the Loctite a chance to set up. A few hours will usually be okay, but just to be safe, leave it overnight. If you try to use it to soon, the Loctite is a lubricant again. If you follow these instructions, you will never have a problem with this product. It's designed to stay on.

Received it in the mail. Degreesed it, shook new tube of locktight per instructions. opened new tube of red locktight and applied to threads. Tightened semi snug. Found the flatest possible spot and tightened enough to bend the allen wrench. Let it sit over night until 11am the next morning. Shot 50-100 rounds of 308. Found it in the dirt. What can I say. I followed all directions that were given. Strange, its obviously not impossible, thanks for joining just to let some of us know your few hints. Since you like to contribute, why don't you donate $5+ to the forum.

Edited by AZG
  • Like 2

Hey guys,

Received it in the mail. Degreesed it, shook new tube of locktight per instructions. opened new tube of red locktight and applied to threads. Tightened semi snug. Found the flatest possible spot and tightened enough to bend the allen wrench. Let it sit over night until 11am the next morning. Shot 50-100 rounds of 308. Found it in the dirt. What can I say. I followed all directions that were given. Strange, its obviously not impossible

Now you have me curious. I have a test for you to perform. Put the handle back on without Loctite. Tighten it up good and tight, and then back off the setscrew until it just gets a little movement. Now try to pull it off. If it pulls off, you may have a non-standard profile on the factory handle. If it won't pull off, at least in theory, it should be impossible for it to detach if it's tight and the Loctite is doing its job. Let me know what you find out. I've handled many of these without a single failure.

Red loctite supposedly takes a torch and powertools to get off. Either a torch or 500 degrees off heat. Either way its hotter than hell. So I don't get how flying back and forth violently would knock it off.

Hey guys,

Ehhh...hold your horses there.....

I did it exactly how you just described and while mine doesn't fly off.....it is a little loose after firing about 150 rounds through it. I'm going to take it off and drill the charging handle like some others have suggested.

It's a nice part, and I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with it, it just mounts to an odd shaped thing; the charging handle.

You would not believe how many of these are in the field.

Problems are extremely rare. I suppose that oddball-shaped AK handles cause some of them, but if the setscrew lands in the bottom of the curve there is no way for the handle to come off.

Most of the failures are due to the installer pushing the handle on as far as it will go before tightening.

• Like 1