223 galil mags help

I bought 223 galil surplus mags, bought bullet guide, installed and tried it all out today. Out of 4 mags 1 is bad, 1 works superbly and 2 are alright. My biggest problem is the last round it will jam. My bad magazine regularly destroys the casing and one time pushed the bullet into the casing. I'm min wage worker so if there is a way to make all the mags work I'm up for it I don't want to buy more things to get it to work. If it has to do with the bullet guide needing to be worn down more with more shooting I'm good with it.

Never had any problems with the galil mags but I am switching over to the MSA adapter so I can use Pmag just have to get the rifle milled to install the part and then I will have a bunch of 35 round galil mags for sale.

• 3 months later...

I bought new Galil mags from DSA and they will fire every round accept the last round. The last round is just low enough that the tip of the bullet hits the bullet guide and jams.

Tilting the mags up in the back as tight as they get don't rectify the situation, even though there isn't much play in bringing them up tight in the back against the mag catch. So essentially the front needs to come up just a tad or the bullet guide needs shaved on the bottom so that it sits on the trunnion just a little lower. Now, I am using the bullet guide from CarolinaShooters but my friend is using your bullet guide from Dinzag and he states that he does not have that issue.

The only difference in the Galil mags is that I think his are South African and mine are IMI. So... my question is do you think using Dinzag bullet guide would fix the issue or do you think that mags for sure would have to be modified? What are your thoughts on sanding the bottom of the bullet guide just a little to get it to sit lower without changing the angle that the bullet is facing as it goes into the chamber?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

i have the dinzag bullet guide and it was working for all except the last round as well. i took a dremmel with a grinding wheel and took a little material from under the feed lips (specifically at the front) so the rounds sit just a tad higher. now the rifle feeds 100% with the IMI's and it actually made the rifle cycle a bit faster and is much easier to download the mags by hand. ( it used to be very hard to do that) hope that helps. i just took 30 seconds a piece and made some cheap surplus mags work great.

I too was having issues with the last round of some of my Galil mags not feeding so I took it all apart and removed a little material from the hump on the followers, just enough to make it so a single round would lie exactly in the center of the feed lips, not under either side. When your loading the first round (last one to be fired) it'll pop out on its own, load a 2nd and it wont happen because the 2nd round will hold it over to the side. After I did this I have not have not experienced the problem again.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought new Galil mags from DSA and they will fire every round accept the last round. The last round is just low enough that the tip of the bullet hits the bullet guide and jams.

Tilting the mags up in the back as tight as they get don't rectify the situation, even though there isn't much play in bringing them up tight in the back against the mag catch. So essentially the front needs to come up just a tad or the bullet guide needs shaved on the bottom so that it sits on the trunnion just a little lower. Now, I am using the bullet guide from CarolinaShooters but my friend is using your bullet guide from Dinzag and he states that he does not have that issue.

The only difference in the Galil mags is that I think his are South African and mine are IMI. So... my question is do you think using Dinzag bullet guide would fix the issue or do you think that mags for sure would have to be modified? What are your thoughts on sanding the bottom of the bullet guide just a little to get it to sit lower without changing the angle that the bullet is facing as it goes into the chamber?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

I was wondering the same thing. I got a different bullet guide, not Dinzag, turns out it needed a lot of grinding and fitting. I will definitely go with a Dinzag when I do another one! Mine works well, but I do have to modify the front of the mag to make the follower come slightly higher. I suspect that grinding an angle on the front of the bullet guide may solve the problem (it is pretty rectangular now, only a slight radius). Has anyone out there done this?

I was working on this problem for a friend of mine today. Last round wouldn't feed. The bolt was completely skipping over the case. I fixed this by grinding the inside of the right feed lip so that the last round sets slightly higher. Now all the mags function 100%!