external port in gas block

What's the deal with the external port in the gas block? I've read about people having to clearance their quad rails to cycle properly. Shot yesterday and was getting a lot of FTEs and the only thing I've changed is the forearm, it's the Russian one with the lower rail but it is a significantly tighter fit than the original. Really want to know the reason behind the port as well.

I was reading a thread on this forum a couple of weeks ago about this. I have that forearm as well, but have not shot with it on yet. I remember in the thread cobra stating that he put a piece of Scotch tape over the hole and that the gun did not fire differently and the Scotch tape did not get blown off IIRC, so I don't know how critical that hole really is. I have also seen a pic of a forum members gun with that same handguard and there is a hole in the handguard right where that gas block hole is. They didn't just put a hole there randomly though so I wouldn't block it.

Edited by StarkIndustries

What's the deal with the external port in the gas block? I've read about people having to clearance their quad rails to cycle properly. Shot yesterday and was getting a lot of FTEs and the only thing I've changed is the forearm, it's the Russian one with the lower rail but it is a significantly tighter fit than the original. Really want to know the reason behind the port as well.

That port is essential to the efficient operation of the gun. The fact that products continue to be brought to market that do not take this important operational feature into account, demonstrates that accessory manufacturers are still not doing their homework in this area.

• Like 6

when i had the stock off i could see where shit was getting blown out of the port on to the stock. i'll just file a little on the inside of the stock so it can breathe easier i guess.

thanks for the info waffenschmied

Edited by poptart

I think I'm going to drill a hole in mine. WaffenShmied, the handguards we have are Russian and are for the S12. Do you know why the hole isn't already there? Are they not Izhmash?

I think I'm going to drill a hole in mine. WaffenShmied, the handguards we have are Russian and are for the S12. Do you know why the hole isn't already there? Are they not Izhmash?

Best guess... for the same reason US accessory makers have missed it. An incomplete understanding of the firearm's correct operation and design by the folks who created the furniture for it.

• Like 2

EVL replied to my pm with how he went about putting that hole in the HG. I can forward it to you when I get home or cut and paste here.

I drilled it.

From EVLBLKWPNZ:

This is how.

1- installed the handguard

2- marked the the handguard at the rear of the gas block

3- marked the gas block at the top of the handguard

4- removed the handguard

5- took the measurement from the 'top of the handguard' mark to the hole in the gas block

6- took the measurement from the 'rear of the gas block' to the hole in the gas block

7- located hole in handguard by using previously mentioned measurements

8- drilled hole in handguard that was slightly smaller than desired and inspected how it 'lined up' with hole in GB

9- used desired size drill bit and 'adjusted' center of hole as I drilled

10- cleaned it up with a small round hobby file

I actually drilled slightly below the hole and met it with a slight upward angle. I thought it was a nice touch.

Thank you EVL

• Like 1

pretty sure his handguard has been modified, looks like the end has been cut off above the rail, would like to hear his reasoning for the modification.....that gun=perfection

Thank you. It isn't as tacticool as many here, but I wanted to get the look of a factory gun with only subtle deviations like the bobbed and vented handguard, 18 1/16" barrel, different trigger guard profiling, and the MD Arms Molot grip.

cut and paste it here, it should be good info for everybody imo

ETA: beat me to it....

I've seen more than one guy who's gun FTF after changing the handguard over the years.

I haven't been around very long, but there have been more "installed quadrail/new handguard.... getting FTE" threads than I care to count. As long as there are these types of post, we know our community is still growing. The beat goes on....

A good rule of thumb is to make one change at a time when swapping out parts. It seems that many swap out everything on their weapon, have problems, and then there is a clusterfuck of speculation on what may have caused it. One thing at a time....

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 2

I was one of the guys who drilled a hole in the quad-rail (chaos) due to FTE issues (no FTE's prior when using just the tri-rail)

I never got a chance to test it out though because my shooting spot was flooded and in the meantime I wound up drilling out my ports to 3/32 so who knows if it worked?

There was another guy on here who drilled a hole and reported that it didn't make any difference on his S12.

Here's a picture of how mine came out:

dscf0279f.jpg

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/65851-md-arms-booster-puck-vs-factory-puck-bulk-ammo-test/

getting drill, brb...thanks for the write up, i'll post back with results next time i shoot. i'm pretty confident that this is my problem so lets hope this resolves it

here's the outcome, came out pretty good can almost get the the same bit i used to drill it into the gas block...mainly just went by evl's pic from his thread

port.jpg

Edited by poptart

well that didn't fix my problem :( the only other thing it could be is that my light polishing of the carrier and guide rails is adversely effecting the action :huh: well hopefully c&s' work with my bolt and fcg gets everything sorted out

What's wrong with having as much information as possible on something before you start modifying it? I don't think it's wise to work by trial and error on a somewhat expensive part.

Damn, I should hope not... how the hell do people need instructions for this kind of thing?

I don't mean to be a dick, but where's the practical, mechanical aptitude? This ain't rocket surgery. :D

Sorry you're still having problems.

well that didn't fix my problem :( the only other thing it could be is that my light polishing of the carrier and guide rails is adversely effecting the action :huh: well hopefully c&s' work with my bolt and fcg gets everything sorted out

What's wrong with having as much information as possible on something before you start modifying it? I don't think it's wise to work by trial and error on a somewhat expensive part.

Damn, I should hope not... how the hell do people need instructions for this kind of thing?

I don't mean to be a dick, but where's the practical, mechanical aptitude? This ain't rocket surgery. :D

I guess it depends on what your personal "trial and error" results in. ;)

Back to your usual "smartassery" ;)

+1 and it ain't no rocket. Just a cheap shotgun :ph34r:

Nothing wrong with researching things a bit first though.

• 1 month later...

figured i'd give a little update to this, took the railed forearm off and swapped back to the stock one and no more cycling problems. guess i need to clearance some more on it, might de-hotdog it as well while i'm messing with it.

figured i'd give a little update to this, took the railed forearm off and swapped back to the stock one and no more cycling problems. guess i need to clearance some more on it, might de-hotdog it as well while i'm messing with it.

Yes, "decockify" the front of it. I really like my Russian tactical handguard, but the front of them looks like shit. Looks much better "bobbed" to me. Go slow.

I milled cooling vents in my Russian HG that also allowed space for the port. It helps a lot to keep it cool and I have never had any issues with FTF with the gun it was mounted on.

post-1293-0-49791900-1309178456_thumb.jpg

As far as my old post about the scotch tape.... that was on my S-20. The problems it used to have cycling low brass had nothing to do with the relief port but I was experimenting to see if closing off the port would help it cycle any better. I quickly found that would not help at all.

Still can't believe there are some people out there actually welding it closed. :rolleyes: It is easy to see on any factory HG if the gun has been fired a lot. There will be a carbon mark on the plastic where the port is.