Saiga 20 Barrel Cut - Add Muzzle Brake

Guys, I've got a Saiga 20 that I want to shorten the barrel on and add a "Saber Boss" muzzle brake by SGM. The barrel appears to be about 22" long. Cutting it down to 18.5" and then adding a 2.5" long brake doesn't accomplish much. I'm currently leaning toward having the barrel cut down to about 16.5" and then permanently attaching the brake, bringing the overall length to 19". I realize this takes away any future options for barrel attachments, etc. but I don't particularly mind as long as it functions properly. I guess my main question is how much can I shorten the barrel and not effect the proper cycling of the weapon? Do you envision any cycling problems if I proceed with my plan to go to a 16.5" barrel plus the muzzle brake? I'd certainly prefer not to have to do any more modifications unless I have to.

Also, I will be discussing with my gunsmith about threading the barrel. If this becomes too much of a problem, I'll let him press it on and tic (sp?) weld. Any suggestions on this?

Thanks in advance for your time and recommendations.

1st thing is make sure the gunsmith can get the barrel off and on. That's a bigger job than you or he might think, especially compared to other shotguns. 2nd consideration is make sure he knows it's a chromed lined barrel and too much heat could cause it to flake / blister I'd look at threading it with blind pins and also ask around on how much porting you'll need to make it run, better to go at it on the low end than just over gas it from the beginning, it's easier to add to holes / bigger size than take it away.

Sound like a neat project post some photos when you get it done.

Edited by 20-Mags