A quick question...

Does anyone else have problems with the Winchester super X 15 round packs of buck shot from Walmart?

I went shooting this past weekend and picked up 6 boxes of the win 15 pack slugs to run through the S-12 and noticed half way through them while shooting with my friends that somehow I ended up with a pack of buck in there somewhere...

So I just loaded them up and went to shoot them and the damn things wanted to FTE (watched it try and move the bolt, but did not complete the cycle) or stove pipe occasionally :rolleyes:

It eats the win 15pk slugs on 1 fine (seems to LOVE those actually, tons of fun!), and it seems to have no problem with the 15 pack REM buck shot... but it ALWAYS seems to have problems with this stuff.

It cycles REALLY shitty bird shot reloads a friend of mine gave me that are the absolute SHITIEST shells (I had one that was so horribly crimped it wouldn't feed,and another that was somehow too "fat", but thats about it for shells it DIDNT consume) like a champ on setting 2...

Are there some buck shot loads that just dont have enough "Ass" to work on 1? Maybe these somehow are "between" setting 1 and 2 in power? Im thinking about snagging an adjustable plug and seeing if maybe I can use that to fine tune it for this, because this bothers me :unsure: These are the ONLY shells ive had this much of a problem with....

Its maddening because that's the only round Ive had problems with... JUST the 2 3/4 in 15 rd packs of win buckshot. the slugs? awesome, fun to shoot, but that particular buck? no dice. :ded:

Have fun man, I know after i got mine out after converting I was very happy with it :super:

Its maddening because that's the only round Ive had problems with... JUST the 2 3/4 in 15 rd packs of win buckshot. the slugs? awesome, fun to shoot, but that particular buck? no dice. :ded:

Have fun man, I know after i got mine out after converting I was very happy with it :super:

Winchester buck shot is not that powerful with ~ 1200 FPS. With Gunfixers gas knob I was able to shoot them on setting #2 the same setting I shoot Federal Bulk Pack. Even Winchester #6 shoots on # +1.

Edited by Razr

Thats odd, because when I picked up my S-12 last friday, the first thing I did was go to wally world and buy one of each of the 15 pk of winchester 00 buckshot and slugs. It ate all 30 rounds of them. Mine seemed to love the buckshot yall are talking about. hmmmmm. haha, I love shooting the slugs, Nothing quite like shooting them in the creek water and a big ass fireball coming out the end of your barrel and creating a giant ass splash of water . Talk about intimidating. Im in love with this gun!

Now thats funny :eek: Well, I guess ill have to snag an adjustable plug at some point soon and see if that does it...

Razr: Interesting, that picture shows a hull that says magnum, maybe the 15 packs are different then the 5 packs?

The ones I get from Walmart are 1600 fps, are we talking about the same ammo?post-32592-0-17493900-1304575057_thumb.jpg

No. From the first post:

"Does anyone else have problems with the Winchester super X 15 round packs of buck shot from Walmart?" (emphasis mine)

He mentions slugs, but only to say that his gun cycles em just fine. Read more carefully. ;)

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Now thats funny :eek: Well, I guess ill have to snag an adjustable plug at some point soon and see if that does it...

Razr: Interesting, that picture shows a hull that says magnum, maybe the 15 packs are different then the 5 packs?

Could be just an incorrect image on Winchester website. It shows the same image for 2 3/4 and 3 ''.

look at Cabelas

http://www.cabelas.com/shotgun-ammunition-winchester-super-x-buckshot-shotshells-1.shtml

Funny you should start this thread.

I got lucky, my s12 shot federal bulk right out of the box,(not Winchester) I also got a MDarms plug and was surprised when I had to adjust that bad boy to setting #4 to get the Winchester Super X 00b to eject. To give you perspective settings 1 and 2 on the mdplug are for slugs and buckshot....is the Winchester 00b considered "low recoil"???

Ahhhhh... So I'm not (completely) Insane! :lolol:

I noticed something when checking ammo at Wal mart today... the bulk packs are marked ####VP So SOMETHING must be different.... (You can even see it in that picture above that Big June put up, its marked X12RS15VP)

Well, this gives me an greater incentive to nab a new gasplug :super:

Those slugs are KICKASS fun though, arent they? :killer:

The day I bought slugs for my S-12 was the first time id ever bother purchasing any at all...I brought some 12 oz sodas just to shoot at and see what they would do.

I have fond memories of my friends going "HOLY @#$! Where the FUCK DID IT GO!" and looking at this little soda "crater" it made....Then we went about finding new and creative ways to enjoy them, my favorite was an empty one sitting on top of a shaken one and watching it launch god knows how far into the air as the one below VAPORISES.... :super:

God damn I love this gun! :killer::lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

• Like 1

The day I bought slugs for my S-12 was the first time id ever bother purchasing any at all...I brought some 12 oz sodas just to shoot at and see what they would do.

I have fond memories of my friends going "HOLY @#$! Where the FUCK DID IT GO!" and looking at this little soda "crater" it made....Then we went about finding new and creative ways to enjoy them, my favorite was an empty one sitting on top of a shaken one and watching it launch god knows how far into the air as the one below VAPORISES.... :super:

God damn I love this gun! :killer::lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQxZCpVnlrE

Watch at least part of the slug ricochet off to the left. That suprised me. Bowling balls are pretty fuckin tough. Might need some follow-up shots to put one down for good :killer:

The ones I get from Walmart are 1600 fps, are we talking about the same ammo?post-32592-0-17493900-1304575057_thumb.jpg

I shot 75 of these just this afternoon.

On my V-plug, while shooting from the bench they run on setting 2. FTE's on setting 1. While shooting from the standing position they liked setting 3.

I've used both the Remington and Winchester 3" magnum 00 buckshot (both around 1225 fps) and they require setting 4.

Any birdshot goes on setting 5. 3" magnum slugs run on setting 1.

I shot 75 of these just this afternoon.

On my V-plug, while shooting from the bench they run on setting 2. FTE's on setting 1. While shooting from the standing position they liked setting 3.

I've used both the Remington and Winchester 3" magnum 00 buckshot (both around 1225 fps) and they require setting 4.

Any birdshot goes on setting 5. 3" magnum slugs run on setting 1.

Sounds complicated. I use factory setting 1 for everything until I've dumped ~100 shells, (and the gas block's starting to get dirty), then I have to switch to setting 2 for birdshot. :D

Not really that complicated.

I could have shot all the rounds on setting 3. In fact, when I started off I did have it set to 3 and shot about 15 rounds that way. But by turning it down to setting 2 I was able to reduce recoil and wear on the gun while still maintaining 100% function. That's the kind of flexibility the V-plug offers over the stock plug.

See, there is a massive difference in gas pressure created between 2.75" and 3" slugs and buckshot. If you're able to run all of those on 1 setting then there's going to be some heavy overgassing and wear on the gun if you shoot a lot of magnum slugs.

Not really that complicated.

I could have shot all the rounds on setting 3. In fact, when I started off I did have it set to 3 and shot about 15 rounds that way. But by turning it down to setting 2 I was able to reduce recoil and wear on the gun while still maintaining 100% function. That's the kind of flexibility the V-plug offers over the stock plug.

See, there is a massive difference in gas pressure created between 2.75" and 3" slugs and buckshot. If you're able to run all of those on 1 setting then there's going to be some heavy overgassing and wear on the gun if you shoot a lot of magnum slugs.

I get your point/s, and the above is definitely true for most S-12s.

Course I run a Lone Star Arms custom gas system, so the conventional wisdom really doesn't apply. ;)