A buddy of mine told me he could get a big discount On an SGL31. Expecting it to be around 700 I found out today its $825+tax. I told him I really only want to pay around $800. I want one bad so I can buy those cheap 1080 round tins and get lots of AK practice. BUT This weekend I saw a robarms Vepr I beleive K in .223 for $699. Seems like a hell of a price and Dont know crap about the Markets .223 mag situation. There is also not alot of vepr info out there. I need help I do not know which one to get.

The veprs heavy but I can always buy an Arsenal. Veprs only pop up here and there.

I only know as much as I have read on this forum so any extra info or opinions would be appreciated. I have to make the decision about the arsenal by next weekend.

I was about to say VEPR K by a landslide until I saw .223.

I recently picked up a SGL 31-94. Finish is very crummy for the price. The rifle functions properly, but credit goes to Izhmash, not Arsenal on that one.

I don't forsee myself purchasing another Arsenal USA product.

i have a SGL21 and yes the finish comes off with most solvents but hey.

its the most accurate AK ive ever fires and it works flawlessly yes the finish isnt great but it didnt bother me too much

the 2 things that bothered me was it does not come with a cleaning kit and the buttstock has the trapdoor for the kit but i tried to put a rommy kit back there and its like the mold they use is messed up and its way too tight cause the kit gets stuck inside.

i mean come on its a $700 gun it shouldnt have those issues.

though i did fix the the problem with the buttstock but grabing the cap of the cleaning kit (widest part of the kit) with plyers and heating it with a torch untill it turned red and just dipping it into the hole so i basicly molded the polymer to my kit and it fits fine now

i have a SGL21 and yes the finish comes off with most solvents but hey.

its the most accurate AK ive ever fires and it works flawlessly yes the finish isnt great but it didnt bother me too much

the 2 things that bothered me was it does not come with a cleaning kit and the buttstock has the trapdoor for the kit but i tried to put a rommy kit back there and its like the mold they use is messed up and its way too tight cause the kit gets stuck inside.

i mean come on its a $700 gun it shouldnt have those issues.

though i did fix the the problem with the buttstock but grabing the cap of the cleaning kit (widest part of the kit) with plyers and heating it with a torch untill it turned red and just dipping it into the hole so i basicly molded the polymer to my kit and it fits fine now

Yeah, I forgot about that. It's utterly ridiculous they don't include the cleaning kit that comes with the imported rifle. I'm currently using the cleaning kit that came with my S12 in my SGL 31 buttstock.

Regarding the buttstock, I think you're onto something about their mold or internal spring being incorrect, because the cleaning kit on my fixed, USA made warsaw pact stock will get stuck sometimes as you described. It also doesn't really insert all that smoothly. Now, my authentic Izhmash AK 100 series poly stock on the other hand is the exact opposite. The cleaning kit goes in supersmooth and comes out perfectly everytime when you press the trap door open.

I'd rather buy my own Saiga and convert it myself rather than pay someone a couple hundred extra dollars to do it for me. I'd convert a Saiga 5.45 or go for an SLR 106 (because the SLR's 1 in 7 barrel twist can stabilize heavier/longer 5.56 bullets than the Saiga 223's 1 in 9ish twist).

I like the VEPRs, but I'm not sure the extra weight is needed in 5.56. VEPRs are accurate if you're methodical about your shots and ammo choices, but then so are Saigas.

I'm not getting into the 7.62 vs. 5.45 vs. 5.56 debate. Choose the right cartridge for your needs.

For $699 I'd go with the Vepr K as that is one very good deal for the Vepr rifle and about what you would pay for a good Arsenal rifle. Yes, it is heavy compared to the Saiga, but it is far more accurate than the Saiga .223 (I have both) and despite not originally being designed for .223, works every bit as reliable as Mr. Kalashnikov intended it to be. Promag 30 round .223 AK magazines will insert and feed in the .223 Vepr just like the originals and are very inexpensive. I think you need to decide if your checkbook can afford the Vepr and if the extra weight is a factor, if not, then by all means go with the Saiga. Either way, it's win, win.

DOes any one know if robarms still does veprs. All their stuff on the net is old. I am converting my first saiga this weekend my 12 and I am very Optimistic and I am a Saiga fan boy/addict. Definatly there will be a .308 Purchase down the road atleast.

Iknow I can get a Saiga 5.45 then convert it saving about $300. But threading barrel, welding holes, using mostly authentic russian parts, bayo lug etc. Thats a lot of custom gunwork that would surpass 1k. Thats why the SGL31 intrests me... and cheap ammo.

I have always wanted a vepr in 7.62X39. When I first saw the .223 I had my wallet out until I saw .223 on the tag. Figure I could buy it shoot it. If I like it or not then Sell it for the same or if not more. Or if robarms is done with veprs exchange the furniture with a Vepr 7.62 down the road. I know theres not alot of options for vepr furniture.

As far as rounds 5.45 does not seem any signifacantly different than .223 other than price. This guns purchase purpose is to shoot the hell out of for practice not nessecarilly my first to grab to take out zombies the best.

Thanks for the responses Im leaning more SGL31 now I was more vepr last night.

DOes any one know if robarms still does veprs. All their stuff on the net is old. I am converting my first saiga this weekend my 12 and I am very Optimistic and I am a Saiga fan boy/addict. Definatly there will be a .308 Purchase down the road atleast.

Iknow I can get a Saiga 5.45 then convert it saving about $300. But threading barrel, welding holes, using mostly authentic russian parts, bayo lug etc. Thats a lot of custom gunwork that would surpass 1k. Thats why the SGL31 intrests me... and cheap ammo.

I have always wanted a vepr in 7.62X39. When I first saw the .223 I had my wallet out until I saw .223 on the tag. Figure I could buy it shoot it. If I like it or not then Sell it for the same or if not more. Or if robarms is done with veprs exchange the furniture with a Vepr 7.62 down the road. I know theres not alot of options for vepr furniture.

As far as rounds 5.45 does not seem any signifacantly different than .223 other than price. This guns purchase purpose is to shoot the hell out of for practice not nessecarilly my first to grab to take out zombies the best.

Thanks for the responses Im leaning more SGL31 now I was more vepr last night.

RobArms has not imported the Vepr series of rifles in several years and has zero customer support for the Vepr including magazines or furniture. Some buttstock options can be had through Ace stocks and there is now another importer of the Vepr rifles. The Vepr has a hammer-forged barrel and a thicker receiver adding weight plus accuracy to what would normally be a standard grade AK. I have had 1 MOA groups from my .308 and .223 Vepr rifles bench rested with good optics and careful handloads.

I also have an Arsenal SLR-105 in 5.45 that is a pure delight to shoot and I've used it in some 3-gun matches with some degrees of success. 5.45 Russian will accomplish the same basic task .223 will do out to appoximately 350 yards as far as plinking or casual shooting. It's still a bargain as ammo prices go and even Hornady has recently started selling steel cased ammo loaded with their powder and A-Max bullets (no steel core)for better accuracy at low cost.

A buddy of mine told me he could get a big discount On an SGL31. Expecting it to be around 700 I found out today its $825+tax. I told him I really only want to pay around $800. I want one bad so I can buy those cheap 1080 round tins and get lots of AK practice. BUT This weekend I saw a robarms Vepr I beleive K in .223 for $699. Seems like a hell of a price and Dont know crap about the Markets .223 mag situation. There is also not alot of vepr info out there. I need help I do not know which one to get.

The veprs heavy but I can always buy an Arsenal. Veprs only pop up here and there.

I only know as much as I have read on this forum so any extra info or opinions would be appreciated. I have to make the decision about the arsenal by next weekend.

$699 sounds like a great price for a Vepr but, if you go the .223 route, $699 might be able to get you an Arsenal SLR106-FR, which is really accurate and folding - so it's more versatile than the Vepr and not so heavy. I'm a bit of a 106 fan, though. Light, folding, and very accurate. No issues with stock compatibility, either (but why would you want to remove the folder anyway -- it's the best one you can buy).

I've got a Vepr K in 7.62x39, and an Arsenal SGL 31-94 (5.45x39). In either caliber I'd choose the Vepr. I have never and will likely never own a 5.56 Kalashnikov. I do have two 5.56 Galils, which is the way to go for an AK type 5.56. I'd say Valmet also, though magazine availability is a major issue with them. Given the caliber concern, I say Arsenal.

the good thing about an arsenal is if something does fuck up, then you could send it back and at least have a warranty. for what thats worth. i love my sgl31. been to many gun shows and held lots of AK's but never a Vepr. so i cant comment on them by any means. i did, however, go shooting with a buddy and he was jealous of how well my sgl shot vs. his ruger mini 30 at 70 yds. i really thought that ruger would have done a bit better than it did but what the hell. it fed good and had a decent trigger pull but a smooth action.

just dont be so quick to rule out the sgl. its a damn fine all around rifle as far as i can tell.

me personally, if im in the market for a 556, then i go AR. but thats me. i have both AK and AR and that platform is built for that round simply put. i dont waste my money of a AK platform chambered in that round, nor do i care about ammo cost. one cant put a price on his/her life. if ammo is high ill pay it, to an extent. but i like to stick to the AK bullet designations for the platform. thats just me.

Edited by Captain Hero