Looking for some opinions on stamped steel mags

I've been working on several stamped magazines for over a year, the vepr .308 will likely be the first to hit the market (probably three months from now).

I just want to get opinions to see if this is the type of magazine you want for the saiga .308. Before we start designing the stamps (note stamps take approximately 3 months, production design takes two months, production takes one month)

Details on the vepr 20 round Prototype:

weight is 12.1 ounces compared to 15.2 (20% lighter)

Overlapping clam shell

Three reinforcing ribs

22 gauge steel body

18 gauge feed lips

Non-bolt hold follower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15DYvNAvNI0

PS: No I have not forgotten the Saiga 20 gauge, we are currently on the fourth set of die plates. First three designs took to much hand fitting to be marketable. The new design 8 round when locked in a converted saiga 20 gauge looks almost exactly like an AK-47, I think you'll enjoy it.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is not a Saiga specific update. I'm still working on the final design for the saiga .308   Here is a completed first run stamped vepr .308 magazine. Took about 16+ weeks to get the final design

Here is one in my rifle.  

Metal finishers called that they are ready for pickup tomorrow. Should have them listed by tomorrow evening once we check them over.

Posted Images

Weight is the only knock against your steel mags; any improvement there would be greatly welcomed. Is there any way to wring out one more ounce or so, bringing the savings to a quarter pound?

Edited by Jim Digriz

I'm out of areas to trim metal from. The only way I can get it lighter would be to use thinner metal, right now these are the same as AK magazines.

Waffle pattern and X pattern both would require EDM cutting of the dies and would likely increase the cost of the end product significantly. But I'll look into it.

Pricing of the stamped should be fairly similar. The dies cost a lot, but the production time is less.

Veprs 20 round mags are being run right now.. Should give us some insight on production costs.

The follower was the big hold up. We went through 10 designs on that stupid part, now that we have it figured out the saiga should be a breeze.

Also what are your thoughts on the following:

Larger and flater take down button? Current one is 3/8 but I could go 1/2 easy enough

Ribbed floor plate?

Peep holes at 10 and 20 rounds?

Manufacture date stamp?

Just one "made in USA" stamp rather then three?

Also what are your thoughts on the following:

Larger and flater take down button? Current one is 3/8 but I could go 1/2 easy enough

Don't care.

Ribbed floor plate?

Don't care.

These would also allow rain to get inside easier, where it could linger and cause rust. I can count rounds if I need to. My vote is no.

Manufacture date stamp?

Don't care. If it raises the cost, my vote is no.

Don't care. If it lowers the cost, my vote is yes.

• Like 1

I'd prefer flatter. Maybe too much trouble, but the best design is the two button system used on the East German Weigers. A little more annoying to take apart and put together, but more secure.

Just at 20 please.

Not important

Ribbed floor plate?

Not important

Not important

Manufacture date stamp?

Not important

Just on the mag body

I'd prefer flatter. Maybe too much trouble, but the best design is the two button system used on the East German Weigers. A little more annoying to take apart and put together, but more secure.

Just at 20 please.

I'll look into the two button design.

If we do ribs on the floor plate they will stick out even with the button, which should make the button harder to bump.

Thanks

Tell ya what. When I get to the floor plates I'll make a few types and estimate prices and let the forum decide by a vote.

Hey, would it be possible to heat treat the back lock-up tab piece and the front mag catch/feed ramp piece? I realize that it would add too much expense to do the whole mag, but it seems worthwhile to me to do those two points (three, really) of constant contact.

• 1 month later...

This is not a Saiga specific update. I'm still working on the final design for the saiga .308

Here is a completed first run stamped vepr .308 magazine. Took about 16+ weeks to get the final design, now that we have it figured out things should go faster.

post-2952-0-78149300-1308255538_thumb.jpg

post-2952-0-20755800-1308255542_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

This is not a Saiga specific update. I'm still working on the final design for the saiga .308

Here is a completed first run stamped vepr .308 magazine. Took about 16+ weeks to get the final design, now that we have it figured out things should go faster.

post-2952-0-78149300-1308255538_thumb.jpg

Absolutely beautiful work man, those changes were just what your mags needed to take them to a whole new level. Now they're as cosmetically nice as they are functionally nice.

Ribbing should also make them considerably tougher. I will undoubtedly be buying some of these as soon as you release the 308 version.

Edited by Tombs

SopMod:

Internal floor would require deep inward facing ribs, which would also require making the feedlips and the body one piece.. So I don't think I can swing that just yet, but I can probably do more like a Galil .308 floor plate. That would probably solve most snag issues.

Lumox:

Yeah, they are spendy but very well built.. The Robinson Poly stocks are a little on the heavy side, but they look cool.

Onespeedpaul:

Nope we don't do pre-orders.. But if you or anyone else wants to be contacted by email when they are ready, send me an email with the subject "Saiga .308 contact". My email address is below in a picture, and also on my site in several locations.

post-2952-0-19479000-1308660333_thumb.jpg