Looking for some opinions on stamped steel mags

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is not a Saiga specific update. I'm still working on the final design for the saiga .308   Here is a completed first run stamped vepr .308 magazine. Took about 16+ weeks to get the final design

Here is one in my rifle.  

Metal finishers called that they are ready for pickup tomorrow. Should have them listed by tomorrow evening once we check them over.

Posted Images

Ok, mags are pretty much done. However our finisher gave us a little set back, so they will be ready whenever they get done with them. Probably the 4th or 5th (I had the flu last week which did not help my productivity).

We thought we had them solved, then ended up changing a few more things to get a better feed angle with soft point. They worked before but these work better.

• Like 1

Ok, mags are pretty much done. However our finisher gave us a little set back, so they will be ready whenever they get done with them. Probably the 4th or 5th (I had the flu last week which did not help my productivity).

We thought we had them solved, then ended up changing a few more things to get a better feed angle with soft point. They worked before but these work better.

Pics? :-)

Also, if you happen to know, what was the final weight?

I will be looking for these when they are ready, no rush because I can wait for a quality product. I am tired of being extra careful in the handling and training with the 100% plastic shurefire ones.

Will there be any forum discount for early purchases? I know many people that don't know about these non plastic magazines that I can inform to help out your business.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing your new 308 mags.

It gets old seeing some folks constantly saying the Saiga 308 is not a good platform because there are no good mags.

Especially anyone who makes a point of promoting/claiming to be a tough guy yet complains that your mags are too heavy? ...oh well.

Keep up the great work

Cheers,

Harv

• Like 2

It gets old seeing some folks constantly saying the Saiga 308 is not a good platform because there are no good mags.

Especially anyone who makes a point of promoting/claiming to be a tough guy yet complains that your mags are too heavy? ...oh well.

That wears a little thin, doesn't it? I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some of the new mags. Maybe I'll post a picture of my rifle "over there" with one of them installed.

• Like 1

Pics? :-)

Also, if you happen to know, what was the final weight?

12.3 ounces. Other then switching to aluminum or thinner steel its going to stay right around there. We trimmed everything we could.

Please note: Magazine is still bare steel, weld burns and light scuffs disappear with black oxide.

post-2952-0-54181100-1324680373_thumb.jpg

post-2952-0-47802900-1324680381_thumb.jpg

post-2952-0-54881900-1324680365_thumb.jpg

CIMG0573.jpg

CIMG0574.jpg

• Like 2

That wears a little thin, doesn't it? I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some of the new mags. Maybe I'll post a picture of my rifle "over there" with one of them installed.

I see someone just posted something about our vepr mags, 'over there'. I have a feeling they will be sent to the corn field.

rolleyes.gif

I'm shocked and amazed that nothing has happened yet. Johnboy.gif

Anyway, mags are done and waiting for our turn at the finishers. Looks like it will be the 2nd of Jan, should be back the 5th or so. Should be shipping by the 9th.

Working on restocking factory mag rebuild kits based off the new stamped followers. Also have 15 round mags coming down the road a little.

I'd much rather have them all get coated. Helps the surface hold oil and not cling to larger dirt as much.

I like the bare look, but if that is the only way to get some.

I will be looking for them when they come out.

Been a while since I checked this but I just wanted to say the new mags are looking sweet and it looks like you are almost ready to ship them out. I have 3 of the last model of the 20 round mags for my .308 saiga and they lock up tight and feed flawlessly with anything I have tried.

Finding these all metal .308 saiga mags is what sealed the deal on me buying the gun. Personally I don't find them to heavy and I like the 20 rd ones because 1 mag = 1 box of ammo.

Couple questions, and I hope I didn't overlook it somewhere in here but will the mag springs be the same as the old version, and will they be priced about the same?

Glad to see the S12 mags have been given thought.big_smile.gif

I want to say that really like how you have listened to our input in the making of these. You have kept us updated and answered our questions along the way. It has been very interesting and fun following this products creation. Thanks, and I am excited to get my hands on some of these when they are released.

I want to say that really like how you have listened to our input in the making of these. You have kept us updated and answered our questions along the way. It has been very interesting and fun following this products creation. Thanks, and I am excited to get my hands on some of these when they are released.

Thanks, its nice to eliminate the guess work on how a 'upgrade' will be perceived. And its saved me a lot of emails, since people find this topic and get the answers they want.

Right now we are waiting for the mags to come back from finishing. We did stamp 'made in USA' on all three counted parts for 922r compliance, follower is marked just forward of the hump, floorplate is on the round outstamp. And the body is marked low on the back as the past models have.

• Like 2

Well until I have an army of robots running the welders they are not going to be $25. Its just a lot of labor to make them, granted its less than in the past.

Now if you want to order a million units I can probably make the $25 each figure work, but it will be about a three year lead time on that (payment up front) money.gif

volume is pretty much the issue. There are just not that many Saiga .308s imported each year to justify the level of automation required to make a cheap product.

We can cut costs in some practical ways through different shipping methods, altering the design to be simplistic ect.

One current idea is to eliminate included shipping going and to a flat rate fee of $5 per order, then drop the product prices $3 each. That way people buying one mag pay the actual cost of getting it to their door rather then averaging shipping across the board. This would result in a $2 per unit discount on an order of 5 mags. Plus I figure most people are so used to paying shipping that they never notice it when comparison shopping, heck I probably lose orders when people can't get a shipping price to show on their order. (this is because the new mags fit into a different weight class so shipping is cheaper on 3+ units then in the past)

I have a few other small improvements that we may add. However they only save about 40 secs per unit, so hard to justify spending two days building a machine.

• Like 3

Thanks, its nice to eliminate the guess work on how a 'upgrade' will be perceived. And its saved me a lot of emails, since people find this topic and get the answers they want.

Right now we are waiting for the mags to come back from finishing. We did stamp 'made in USA' on all three counted parts for 922r compliance, follower is marked just forward of the hump, floorplate is on the round outstamp. And the body is marked low on the back as the past models have.

Been following this thread since the beginning, and am similarly impressed with the thought and care that has gone into this development process.

As soon as the 20-rounders are listed as in-stock, I'll be placing an order for at least two each of the 10 and 20 rounders. Will buy more if the bank account permits, so I'm curious about any changes to the shipping deal. Thanks csspecs for all this great work!

-otus