Looking for some opinions on stamped steel mags

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is not a Saiga specific update. I'm still working on the final design for the saiga .308   Here is a completed first run stamped vepr .308 magazine. Took about 16+ weeks to get the final design

Here is one in my rifle.  

Metal finishers called that they are ready for pickup tomorrow. Should have them listed by tomorrow evening once we check them over.

Posted Images

wish we didnt have this stupid assault weapons ban in massachusetts. hate having to spend eighty to get twenty rounds worth. not that there is much choice, once the tax man rolls around i will be getting a few

Well at least you can have a pistol grip without a mag lock, people in CA have a it a little rougher.

Having only 10 rounds does not handicap the rifle all that much, I normally shoot with 10s if I'm shooting paper.

Edit to add. Here they are, I'll be contacting everyone on the list as my email account allows.

They will be going up on the site shortly however first ones will likely ship Monday or Tuesday.

post-2952-0-23860900-1325803397_thumb.jpg

post-2952-0-96575600-1325803624_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I just ordered a couple myself. Do you have any of the old style left? I didn't see any listed on your retail page.

I have a couple production samples but none that I can sell. I kept one of each batch for reference. We have been out of stock for almost two months.

Yeek..... Just checked the website.... Looks like I'm going to be busy packing mags.

The mag conversion kits are on the list for sometime this month or next. They will use the new stamped follower and will be retained by the internal tracks just like the factory.

I think we are going to include an extra stopper to also make the factory into a 5 round as well... Or have it as an optional part.

• Like 3

Thanks all.

All orders are shipped or at the very least, boxed with labels to go off to the post office in the morning.. Still have about 100 left once the dealers take theirs..

We have the next run waiting to go. Its about twice the size so hopefully we won't run out again.

Now I do hope they call that my vepr .308 mags are done, because I literately have one left (big run on those for some reason... Almost like someone brought in a new shipment biggrin.png ).

• Like 1

Just wanted to point out something a lot of people over look.. Both the order and the shipping have your confirmation number, if you go to our website and go to the service tab at the top. You will see a box to enter your confirmation number, if you enter your confirmation number it will display a screen with your tracking number. We use USPS unless specifically requested not to, so all tracking numbers are USPS tracking numbers.

I saw King of the Hill's picture of his old version as compared to the new version of csspecs 308 20 round magazine so I compared mine. Clearly my old style mag is approximately the same height as my new style mags I received today. Not sure why.

post-14788-0-72644800-1326415033_thumb.jpg

I saw King of the Hill's picture of his old version as compared to the new version of csspecs 308 20 round magazine so I compared mine. Clearly my old style mag is approximately the same height as my new style mags I received today. Not sure why.

There were different generations of the original style mag. If you compare your earlier style one to his, you'll notice marked differences.

I got my mags today. They look great! Nice packaging too. Somehow, I like the smell of that anti-rust paper. tongue.png

Test fitting them into my particular rifle, I notice there is more than a small amount of side-to-side wobble that the mag is allowed to move. Are they all like that or is it just the combination of my rifle and these mags? I don't know if it would affect function, I'll have to try them out. I was just a little surprised by how much play there was. It's really quite a lot, to be honest. unsure.png

Upon inspection, it looks like the mag catch doesn't actually contact the locking lug at all. Also, to my eye, since the locking lug is slightly narrower than the factory one, along with not being thick enough to make solid contact with the catch, it contributes more to the mag being able to rock side to side quite a bit before the lug gets to the catch and stops it. I also noticed that the ramp profile of the locking lug is a bit different than the factory mag. It's actually steeper, which should help the mag catch "catch," but the tip of it is a bit thinner than the factory one, and it just never gets there.

I hope this post doesn't come across like I'm "blindsiding" Csspecs or anything. The development of these has been discussed and shared with others on the forum, as well as input from others being taken and incorporated, so my intent here is to post my feedback in that same spirit of positive collaboration and I am confident that any issues will be worked out just fine.

I'd be interested to know if this is just a tolerance stack up issue that my particular rifle has going on.

I posted some pics in my album.http://forum.saiga-1...lbum/795-album/

gallery_25847_795_5118.jpg

Here are some videos showing the side to side wobble:

http://youtu.be/jqEp0rSjMUc

http://youtu.be/R-SDUFyKB4c

Edited by veritas_vincit