Looking for some opinions on stamped steel mags

Hi Mike,

It didn't occur to me before, and it is probably late in the scheme of things, but one revision that would be very nice would be if you adopted a Galil steel mag style floorplate, or one like the factory Saiga 308 mag; that is, one in which the floorplate and the metal that holds it to the mag body does not flare out and widen the magazines. That would reduce snagging problems a good bit.

Jim

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is not a Saiga specific update. I'm still working on the final design for the saiga .308   Here is a completed first run stamped vepr .308 magazine. Took about 16+ weeks to get the final design

Here is one in my rifle.  

Metal finishers called that they are ready for pickup tomorrow. Should have them listed by tomorrow evening once we check them over.

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Probably keep with black oxide. One of the better shops is located about an hour drive from me.

The finish is slick and does not scuff easy. I get phosphate finished stuff in and it looks used and scuffed up right out of the wrapper.

Pricing should be at or below current pricing. I'm really hoping I can deliver these at a lower price as I'd like more volume.

• Like 2

Correct. They are not a huge seller, but enough people prefer them that we will continue to make them.

15 rounds is a good size for a .308. 15 rounds out of a Saiga308 can really deliver some devestation down range and makes the weapon you are holding a bit lighter. I will be buying a few.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok stamp plates are cut for the body halves. It shares the follower with the vepr and saiga 100.

I 'll post a picture once I get the front and back tabs on it.

Still need two more plate sets for the front reinforcement plate and the floor plate. New floor plate will likely have the ak pattern stampings, or a triple set of ribs. Probably going to keep to the single take down button.

I got at least two more weeks on another project. But should be able to hit the ground running once I get the time.

Probably looking at about 4-5 weeks for the first run from today (give or take a little). These are a LOT faster to make then the old style, however the tooling costs a lot more.

• Like 2

Ok stamp plates are cut for the body halves. It shares the follower with the vepr and saiga 100.

I 'll post a picture once I get the front and back tabs on it.

Still need two more plate sets for the front reinforcement plate and the floor plate. New floor plate will likely have the ak pattern stampings, or a triple set of ribs. Probably going to keep to the single take down button.

I got at least two more weeks on another project. But should be able to hit the ground running once I get the time.

Probably looking at about 4-5 weeks for the first run from today (give or take a little). These are a LOT faster to make then the old style, however the tooling costs a lot more.

Great news! Sounds like the S308 will finally be getting what it most needs.

A few questions: Will these still be lighter than the old style? Also, I'm curious about the thickness of the feedlips. The mags I have from you are not as thick there as with a standard AK steel mag. Will these be thicker there, or about the same? If the latter, is there an S308-specific reason why the lips must be thinner?

In any event, I'm looking forward to picking up as many of these as I can afford. Thanks for your work.

Yes they are lighter, its not night and day holding one in each hand. However a stack of five is roughly the same as four of the original style.

Stickily speaking the saiga mag feedlips are the same thickness as an AK mag. The difference is on the AK mag the body lines the inside of the feedlip, the feedlips are also ground back on an angle which makes them look thicker as well.

For what its worth M-14 and M-16 feed lips measure roughly .029 compared with ours at .059

This is the test model so far. I think we are going to make the front step a little smaller. We are waiting on the floorplate until we finalize the body which is why it does not fit.

post-2952-0-91989600-1319687750_thumb.jpg

Edit: Yeah it looks ugly, they all do until they turn black.

I just ordered 3 of your 20rd mags for a .308 saiga from carolina shooters supply and I am very impressed with the quality and construction of them. Considering they were only 10 bucks more than the plastic SGM mags I considered them a good deal. They fell like the kind of thing that will last a lifetime. Look forward to getting a couple of the stamped ones when you get them going too.

I seen on your website just a few minutes ago that you are now making 20 gauge saiga mags. I came over here to the forums and sure enough you are talking about it, but I just gotta ask....

Any plans for a steel saiga 12 mag?? biggrin.png

I'll be grabbing 4 as soon as they're regularly available.

I would be asking about a pre-order or trying to get in on a first run if it wasn't for how up and down my financial situation is.

This is really the ticket to making the saiga 308 hang with the best battle rifles out there, if not surpass them.

Here is one of it in the rifle. Again there will be some small changes before it will be marketed.

post-2952-0-76340500-1319847484_thumb.jpg

Yes the lathe is old, 1937 to be exact. Built to last, truly a symbol of the industrial might when it was built. There is little doubt that it has outlasted its makers and many of its operators.

Any plans for a steel saiga 12 mag?? biggrin.png

bad_smile.gif Possibly.

I have five projects up on the board right now. #1 is the S .308 #2 is something with R on the end. 3, 4 and 5 are small 922r compliance components and should take little time.

I have more then two dozen concept projects that I really really want to work on because they interest me. Mags do get a little repetitive.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Floor plate rig is done. New feed lip rig should be done by weekend. Floor plate is AK-M styled, and does offer some advantages.

here is the floorplate, it does not have the button hole yet. Note the stepped corner, still needs a radius in the front inside corners. The stepped corners also will be rounded at the corners like an AK mag.

post-2952-0-41863600-1323267664_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Floor plate rig is done. New feed lip rig should be done by weekend. Floor plate is AK-M styled, and does offer some advantages.

here is the floorplate, it does not have the button hole yet. Note the stepped corner, still needs a radius in the front inside corners. The stepped corners also will be rounded at the corners like an AK mag.

post-2952-0-41863600-1323267664_thumb.jpg

Great work. It looks like the quality will be equal to a commie steel mag, which will be a big stride forward for the S308. Probably the last thing needed to make the S308 a competitive choice for MBR.

• Like 1

Correct. They are not a huge seller, but enough people prefer them that we will continue to make them.

15 rounds is a good size for a .308. 15 rounds out of a Saiga308 can really deliver some devestation down range and makes the weapon you are holding a bit lighter. I will be buying a few.

I also think it is the ideal size. I have some Uinta 20's and don't care for the length. Love my Csspecs 10 rounder but a few more rounds would be great. I'll definitely buy a few.

Yes the lathe is old, 1937 to be exact. Built to last, truly a symbol of the industrial might when it was built. There is little doubt that it has outlasted its makers and many of its operators.

I had that same lathe in my Autoshop when I retired last June. Ours had the factory taper attachment.

Edited by LtDan

I wish I had the taper attachment, it had one at some point just not when I got it. I have a method to do tapers, just takes more setup and math. Its a beast of a machine, very little backlash and wear considering its age. The four jaw chuck it came with is about the size of a manhole cover.

One question did come up today. Is the witness hole still something desired. These mags DEAD stop at capacity, with just enough space for the bolt to clear the round. So I don't see them being all that useful. It would save roughly 50 cents on a mag, as it removes 4 steps, also would give one less spot for dirt to get in at.

Witness holes are best for those dealing with a lot of mags. Quick way to tell which are fully loaded. If someone really needs them they could easily drill their own.

Witness hole could be easily done by those who need it.

• Like 1

Witness holes are best for those dealing with a lot of mags. Quick way to tell which are fully loaded. If someone really needs them they could easily drill their own.

Witness hole could be easily done by those who need it.

I agree completely. I say forget about the hole. At least it is not important to me, and it could be easily drilled later as G O B said. This is just my opinion and others may want the hole, but for me it does not matter either way.