Looking for some opinions on stamped steel mags

Have you tried lightly sanding the sharp corners and de-horning the magazine ever so slightly, then just taping it up?

If you're using it in competition type situations, that might be a good idea.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is not a Saiga specific update. I'm still working on the final design for the saiga .308   Here is a completed first run stamped vepr .308 magazine. Took about 16+ weeks to get the final design

Here is one in my rifle.  

Metal finishers called that they are ready for pickup tomorrow. Should have them listed by tomorrow evening once we check them over.

Posted Images

Have you tried lightly sanding the sharp corners and de-horning the magazine ever so slightly, then just taping it up?

Yes, I have one filed down and taped up.

And No, I'm not using my mags in competition type situations.

I am one of those silly asses who practices things I might want to do in a real conflict.

fast reloads, rifle to pistol transitions, a barrel roll here and there...

As soon as I tried any of these things, one thing became apparent:

The floorplates are sharp and I can't do these things without getting poked, scraped, and scratched.

Now I'm no sissy, but that gets old.

I ordered six of the Magpul 308 Magazine Assists to cover all 5 of my magazine floorplates.

It would be better if there wasn't a problem in the first place,...

I am getting tired of talking about it, running it in the ground.

Somebody else try to do some of the things you might do in a war and chime in with how it works out for you.

Edited by biskitz

I am one of those silly asses who practices things I might want to do in a real conflict.

The floorplates are sharp and I can't do these things without getting poked, scraped, and scratched.

I ordered six of the Magpul 308 Magazine Assists to cover all 5 of my magazine floorplates.

Somebody else try to do some of the things you might do in a war and chime in with how it works out for you.

I think Mike realizes that it's a problem and is working on it. Once he resolves this one issue, these mags will be completely on par with the combloc steel mags.

• 1 month later...

First off, I love these magazines.

As a former Marine, in combat situations, you get beat up. Your knee's get skinned even with kneepads. Your hands and elbows get beat up. You lose skin. You bleed. You bruise. I know you know this, and I'm not saying it to be a prick, it's just the facts.

I like wearing gloves for training. Get some Mechanix or some of those soft backed stretchy nitrile dipped gardening gloves. They protect just enough, but are still sensitive enough where you have some tactile sense. The gloves get chewed up and not your hands. I've heard people mention that they lose sensitivity when they wear gloves. When you get into adrenaline backed response to conflict, your fine motor skills go out the window. Your hands turn into mittens anyways.

My biggest issue with my Saiga's is I keep burning my support hand thumb on the barrel during the drills I run. I want to get the MI rail so I can mount some magpul AFG2's and quit burning the gloves up on the barrel, but I need to buy new gas tubes and retainers.

Anyways, great magazines and good luck.

• Like 2
My biggest issue with my Saiga's is I keep burning my support hand thumb on the barrel during the drills I run. I want to get the MI rail so I can mount some magpul AFG2's and quit burning the gloves up on the barrel, but I need to buy new gas tubes and retainers.

The TWS hand guard looks interesting for this very reason

• Like 1