Rear sight removal question

I completed my conversion but having trouble removing rear sight(factory) to replace with ghost sight, got a punch & a hammer to it but do not want to damage little wedges holding sight in place.

Q #1 - do I hit harder?

Q #2 - what side do I hit from?,does it matter?

Q #3 - should I spray WD-40 or silicone lubricant to try to loosen?

post-32592-0-25549500-1304577729_thumb.jpg

Edited by Makc

I have seen it done with a dremel, I would try hitting harder first though. What ghost ring sight are you going to use? I thought about using a night/tritium sight but was unsure of what size or which one would be compatible.

Ok that is exactly what I have on mine now. I am installing a SightLink FO front post on mine in green exactly like this

post-3-0-85263000-1304600735_thumb.jpg

but I have been thinking about adding a tritium rear ghost ring also. I am not even sure that the rear will be necessary since I have a light mounted but the FO sight should definitely make for a quicker acquisition I am hoping

Here is a pic of a cut on the factory rear sight. It isn't mine and the guy used a hacksaw but I think it will give you a good idea for placement. Seems like through research they are really a pain to come out

post-3-0-84886900-1304600742_thumb.jpg

sounds like a 3/4 or lil more cut should suffice

Damn!!! that's ugly. So you had the Krebs before I just converted & shot today with front sight on & was tagging bowling pins at about 50-60 yrds. That looks good how easy is it to install is it same diameter

Edited by Big June

Anyone with multiple guns would be interested in taking a look at the Meprolight removal/install tool. We use one at work, and there has never been a sight we cannot get out or install.

usitb.jpg

I tried hammering mine out and only succeeded in making the rear sight block a little loose. I went the hacksaw route and never looked back. Once you get about 3/4 through the rear sight, the metal flexes a little and comes out easily. The Kreb's Custom sight goes in much easier than the stock sight comes out.

I tried hammering mine out and only succeeded in making the rear sight block a little loose. I went the hacksaw route and never looked back. Once you get about 3/4 through the rear sight, the metal flexes a little and comes out easily. The Kreb's Custom sight goes in much easier than the stock sight comes out.

Did Kreb's sight require any fitting? I understand the S12 sight slots are very inconsistent. Mine is approx 9mm and I'm considering filing it out to 3/8" or 11mm, lotsa filing I know.

Did Kreb's sight require any fitting? I understand the S12 sight slots are very inconsistent. Mine is approx 9mm and I'm considering filing it out to 3/8" or 11mm, lotsa filing I know.

Kreb's sight is aluminum, so it should be able to mash it's way in. It will go in way easier than it came out. You still may have to do some filing of the dovetail, but nothing extreme or too exact, I would think.

Damn!!! that's ugly. So you had the Krebs before I just converted & shot today with front sight on & was tagging bowling pins at about 50-60 yrds. That looks good how easy is it to install is it same diameter

Same diameter. Just unscrew the post, take out the detent, use new detent and screw this one in. A lil pricey though at $50