Drum vs Stick Mags

Just bought the 12 and have yet to add any mags until a little research is done. Am settling on the ProMag 12 round because of the overall size, but a question came up.

If one is sitting at the table with an empty drum and an empty stick and a box of shells, which can be loaded faster, the drum or the stick (both 12 rounds) ?

The reason for this question is, in a shtf situation and I'm out somewhere sitting in the woods or wherever and have to reload the sticks or drum quickly, if the sticks are faster to re-fill, then those will be the main thing I'll carry. Like maybe 1 preloaded drum and the rest sticks. Seems like xtra drums would be bulky and akward in pockets or jackets, etc.

My only experience is re-filling the factory 5 round mag, which can be done very quicky. Like 5 or 6 seconds.

I have had Pro mags in the past and was very dissapointed with them . I would neve buy pro mags again . AGP,Shurefire,and MD is the way to go IMHO.

The reason for this question is, in a shtf situation and I'm out somewhere sitting in the woods or wherever and have to reload the sticks or drum quickly, if the sticks are faster to re-fill, then those will be the main thing I'll carry. Like maybe 1 preloaded drum and the rest sticks. Seems like xtra drums would be bulky and akward in pockets or jackets, etc.

My only experience is re-filling the factory 5 round mag, which can be done very quicky. Like 5 or 6 seconds.

The whole advantage of having a detachable mag is that you can switch mags and not lose time reloading. In a combat (SHTF) situation this is what will save your bacon.

If you are in the middle of the woods with a box of loose shells and time counts, and you need to reload either mag before continuing, you are probably already screwed. A more appropriate question is which format is easier to carry for reloading, and sticks win that one hands down.

Drums are cooler of course.

Both have their merits IMHO... the drums do not stick out nearly as far from the bottom of the gun as the sticks do, but for the same capacity take a bit longer to load and just a weeee bit longer to insert.

I use the 12rd drum in the house for home defense just because I have a tight hallway and a few hard corners that makes moveing with the stick mags tricky at times...

Its a shotgun, part of what makes it so great is the abality to use such a wide variety of loads... restricting yourself to one mag type is like restricting yourself to one load useing only 00 and forsakeing slugs or light shot or any of the specality rounds...

Ultimate solution to the issue is get you some of each... I have an MD20, it only ever shoots lightshot for drum dump range fun, I have 2 of the promag drum 12s, one loaded with my home defense load and stays locked in the gun, the other typically has 00 in it...

I have 2 stick mag 10rd and 2 12rd, usually loaded with 3 inch stuff the drums won't take

You have options, use em to have the best load in the best mag for you at the time... THATS part of what makes a shotgun so great.... its like paying a cable bill every month, but refuseing to watch odd numbered channels... even if the even numbered ones have nothing interesting on atm LOL

I dunno, options are good in my book..

Waylon

As to the OPs question, Stick mags reload faster at an empty table with a loose box of shells you can get 12 in a stick faster than 12 in a drum... but the difference is minimal.

Edited by datrowl

For most people, the stick mags are going to be a faster to reload.

However, a lot depends on the specific gun, (e.g. has the bolt been reprofiled for easier reloads etc), and whoever's operating it. Practice and muscle memory will have a significant effect on reload times.

On my S-12, I can easily load full stick mags on a closed bolt, but can only load a MD-20 that way if there are 19 or fewer rounds in the drum. So, if we're talking full mags, the factory 5s and 8s I use reload a bit faster since I don't have to use the BHO.

ymmv.

Both have their merits IMHO... the drums do not stick out nearly as far from the bottom of the gun as the sticks do, but for the same capacity take a bit longer to load and just a weeee bit longer to insert.

I use the 12rd drum in the house for home defense just because I have a tight hallway and a few hard corners that makes moveing with the stick mags tricky at times...

Its a shotgun, part of what makes it so great is the abality to use such a wide variety of loads... restricting yourself to one mag type is like restricting yourself to one load useing only 00 and forsakeing slugs or light shot or any of the specality rounds...

Ultimate solution to the issue is get you some of each... I have an MD20, it only ever shoots lightshot for drum dump range fun, I have 2 of the promag drum 12s, one loaded with my home defense load and stays locked in the gun, the other typically has 00 in it...

I have 2 stick mag 10rd and 2 12rd, usually loaded with 3 inch stuff the drums won't take

You have options, use em to have the best load in the best mag for you at the time... THATS part of what makes a shotgun so great.... its like paying a cable bill every month, but refuseing to watch odd numbered channels... even if the even numbered ones have nothing interesting on atm LOL

I dunno, options are good in my book..

Waylon

As to the OPs question, Stick mags reload faster at an empty table with a loose box of shells you can get 12 in a stick faster than 12 in a drum... but the difference is minimal.

Good point about the 3 inch shells. And the stick should be quicker to re-fill. So sticks it is. Thanx.

Sticks... hands down. And if you get a magwell, they are SIGNIFICANTLY faster to change in and out of the weapon as well.

But, are you afraid of running out of loaded mags before you run out of zombies, or are you looking for an edge in competition?

Since there are no reliable drum magazines available that will work with a magwell on a S-12; there is little if any reason to install a magwell unless it's for competition, (where fractions of a second count), imo.

Practice your rock'n'lock, boys and girls. With practice, you can get pretty fast.

This as I contemplate buying a '030 model, with a fucking Russian magwell. :lol:

Russian magwell mags are only slightly more common than Barry O's good ideas, and because of that they're fucking insanely expensive. :evil:

Didn't wanna mince my words there; wanted to make sure you guys knew exactly how I feel on the subject. :D

I finally bit the shotgun shell and bought a few Izzy 8-rnd rock'n'locks. Imo, they're pretty pricy, but damn cheap compared to Russian magwell 8's. :sick:

Edited by post-apocalyptic

...Good point about the 3 inch shells. And the stick should be quicker to re-fill. So sticks it is. Thanx.

There are S-12 stick mags, and then there are good S-12 stick mags. For God's sake, don't buy a bunch of Promag 10s. They blow. Goats.

Nothing beats factory mags for reliability. Izzy 8's are fantastic, (and no mag looks sexier in the gun :smoke: ), but they're not inexpensive; i.e. ~$100-$140 apiece. So, my advice is to buy as many factory 5-rnd mags as you have fingers while they're cheap, then decide whether you have enough $ to invest in truly excellent higher capacity mags, (Izhmash), or if you'll go "cheap" and stick to US stick mags, (AGP or Surefire, never Promag for sticks).

Promag does make an excellent S-12 ammunition feeding device; their 12-rnd drum. There is currently no product out there that can directly compete with it. For 20-rnd drums, buy MD-20s and you'll never regret it. ;)

The question is about loading shells into the mags not the mags into the guns.

Shit, I just read more carefully, and you're right.

I guess I was attempting to answer a question more pertinent to the weapon's effectiveness, and I just assumed that was what the OP was asking. :D

After re-reading the OP: stick mags of all kinds are easy to load, and unlike many here, I don't find the drum mags difficult either.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Just bought the 12 and have yet to add any mags until a little research is done. Am settling on the ProMag 12 round because of the overall size, but a question came up.

If one is sitting at the table with an empty drum and an empty stick and a box of shells, which can be loaded faster, the drum or the stick (both 12 rounds) ?

Umm if your magre empty on the table and you need to load them in a hurry you have already F'd up. Your self defense weapon should have loaded mags at the ready.

Pat