Question on pump shotgun forearm function

I've got an NEF Pardner pump, one of those $200 870 clones. Overall it's a great gun, very solid. It's my first pump gun though, so I don't know if this is normal or not.

When the gun is set down on the butt stock, the forearm will drop down about an inch or so. Just tipping the gun vertical is enough for it to slide back/down. Then if you pick up the gun and try to load it, the floor plate/elevator (or whatever it's called) in the gun is partially blocking the mag tube. You have to manually push the forearm forward to get the floor plate to drop out of the way so you can load it. Not good for fast loading.

If I pick up the gun by the forearm, it slides up/forward and if I hold it there while loading, no problem. So maybe it's just a matter of learning the proper technique to run the gun.

The forearm locks as it should before the trigger is pulled or the release is pushed. So maybe the thing to do is just store it with the forearm locked forward. I generally like storing all of my guns un-cocked though.

Normal or no?

Do genuine 870's do this?

As long as it locks when it is ready to fire, I wouldn't worry one bit. Might just be that it's been used that often. Doesn't sound like it's a problem to me at all. I have an Ithaca 37 that does this to an extent as well.

One thing I wonder is... is it any type of aftermarket grip on the pump? I ask because if the foregrip weighs more than factory this could lead to what you describe in theory.

Thanks for the feedback.

The gun is factory stock and only has around a hundred rounds through it from the first range trip with it. It was on the rack at the store (Dick's) though, so it may have hundreds more demo cycles on it.

I think I will just change the way I do things and store the gun unloaded with the forearm locked. Then there's no problem with grabbing it quickly and stuffing a few rounds in it.

I was Googling around to see if any pumps had springs. Not quite what I was thinking about a spring to help keep the forearm forward, but kinda cool....

http://www.tristarsportingarms.com/product_cobra.html

Edited by Spartacus

...I was Googling around to see if any pumps had springs. Not quite what I was thinking about a spring to help keep the forearm forward, but kinda cool....

http://www.tristarsportingarms.com/product_cobra.html

Interesting claims about this return spring function.. but talk about a solution in search of a problem! :D

It's also kinda sad that with a 20" barrel and near full-length mag it will only hold 6 shells, (5+1). I'll be stickin with my Win 1300 Defender, (which was also less expensive than this Cobra shotgun).

Check out these TriStar Viper shotguns. The price ain't bad, if they perform as advertised.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

Yep, I too thought it was weak on the 5+1 with an extended mag tube on a 20" gun.

Hopefully there's a mag plug in there that can be removed to make it 8-9 in the tube.

There's one of these on Gunbroker for a decent price, I have some questions in to the seller on the 5+1 issue and some other stuff.

edit:

ehh..... another page on the Tristar site shows the Cobra and says "faux extended mag tub" which I believe translates to FAKE extended mag "tube".

http://www.tristarsportingarms.com/producttactical.html

Bottom of page.

Not impressed.

Edited by Spartacus