Removing Welded on H&K sights.

Uh, don't get me wrong, I think the Titan + Chaos H&K style irons is a very nice setup, but mostly because anyone can install it with hand tools.

Having H&K take-off irons actually welded/soldered, (I prefer soldered), to your S-12 is preferable to the Chaos bolt-on setup imo. It's a helluva lot lighter as well, (always a good thing).

If you want to co-witness an optic with your welded H&K irons, you could get one of the new RS AKM ultra-low mounts.. they work with all 30mm tubes.

Or, you could go the route I did, and have a Tromix pic rail installed just forward of your H&K rear sight. Using this setup, Aimpoint micro red dots, (and their clones), easily co-witness with the irons. Other red dots like Burris FastFires would probably also co-witness when installed on this rail.

So... wtf are you smoking, GoingPro?! :D

Uh, don't get me wrong, I think the Titan + Chaos H&K style irons is a very nice setup, but mostly because anyone can install it with hand tools.

Having H&K take-off irons actually welded/soldered, (I prefer soldered), to your S-12 is preferable to the Chaos bolt-on setup imo. It's a helluva lot lighter as well, (always a good thing).

If you want to co-witness an optic with your welded H&K irons, you could get one of the new RS AKM ultra-low mounts.. they work with all 30mm tubes.

Or, you could go the route I did, and have a Tromix pic rail installed just forward of your H&K rear sight. Using this setup, Aimpoint micro red dots, (and their clones), easily co-witness with the irons. Other red dots like Burris FastFires would probably also co-witness when installed on this rail.

So... wtf are you smoking, GoingPro?! :D

would it fit on here? i also want to get a quad rail but my front H&K sight is welded on too far back on the gas block. i got to ship it out to tac-47 to get a custom made one.

DSC02147.jpg

Wtf do you want a quad-rail for? If it's just to mount an optic, you've got other options, as I mentioned.

And what part did you mean when you asked if it would fit on your gun? The Tromix pic rail?

i want to throw on an optic.

Wtf do you want a quad-rail for? If it's just to mount an optic, you've got other options, as I mentioned.

And what part did you mean when you asked if it would fit on your gun? The Tromix pic rail?

i want to throw on an optic.

Ok.. well I'm not sure which side mounts will work with H&K irons in place, (depends on exactly where your rear drum is), but a few might, if you install the side mount before sliding your dust cover in place.

I think the RS AKM might be one of the best choices, if you want to use a 30mm optic. You should take a look at that, as it would be the easiest solution; just another part to buy.

Another way you could go is with the Tromix pic rail.. you'd have to have the rear sight removed, the rail installed, then the rear sight reinstalled. When finished, it'd look something like this:

mk33.jpg

r16w.jpg

r11o.jpg

r15h.jpg

:smoke:

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

If you remove the HK front, I would pull the bbl, machine or dremel off as much of the sight as you can withOUT touching the welds. Then throw it in a lathe, check for outter (OD) concentricity, and lathe the welds off to bbl oem specs.

If you remove the HK front, I would pull the bbl, machine or dremel off as much of the sight as you can withOUT touching the welds. Then throw it in a lathe, check for outter (OD) concentricity, and lathe the welds off to bbl oem specs.

The H&K front sight is welded to the gas block, not the barrel. :huh:

The H&K front sight is welded to the gas block, not the barrel. :huh:

Doh :unsure:

Then just grind it off :lolol:

Buy a standard (short) quadrail, and notch the top out to fit around your front HK sight. Mount your red dot to it. Those HK sights are a not-so-cheap upgrade to your Saiga. If you really want to try the Titan rail, you would be best off buying another S-12 to put it on. You could also ask the builder if they would swap out your gas block and dust cover with unmodified ones.