I have been looking for a good 6x or 8x POSP scope for a while, and finally am ready to order one. I came across a few Firefield brand ones, and I was wondering how their quality was. Has anyone purchased on before?

They aren't Firefield manufactured optics as far as I can tell, they are just another company selling POSP's which are Belomo/Zenit made in the Ukraine.

Looks like some kind of paintball company and based on their prices plus lack of description for the POSP's I'd probably steer clear. Go with Kalinka or Eastwave, both have a proven track record.

Z

They aren't Firefield manufactured optics as far as I can tell, they are just another company selling POSP's which are Belomo/Zenit made in the Ukraine.

Looks like some kind of paintball company and based on their prices plus lack of description for the POSP's I'd probably steer clear. Go with Kalinka or Eastwave, both have a proven track record.

Z

I found one on Ebay being sold new unopened from a very respected user, and the user has a full description (HERE).

Still steer clear? Looks like it is the exact same scope that Kalinka sells, and the thing that is so attractive is it would only take 2 days to ship (FREE).

EDIT: Also, towards the paintball comment, you are mostly correct, but as their description says, "However, Firefield™ has crossed over to service customers with hunting and tactical needs as well."

Edited by CPF

I have been looking for a good 6x or 8x POSP scope for a while, and finally am ready to order one. I came across a few Firefield brand ones, and I was wondering how their quality was. Has anyone purchased on before?

I have a firefield 308 laser boresight. The quality is pretty poor, and that is a lot simpler than a scope.

Gah, then I guess my choices are between Kalinka and Eastwave. Which one would you recommend?

I ordered a BP-02 side mount from east wave. No problems there. I've never heard bad about Eastwave, but I've heard mixed things about Kalinka.

Thanks, I just ordered it yesterday. Should be coming in sometime next week, and I'll make sure to give a few pics to see if it is indeed a Russian made scope.

Got the scope...two things. when mounted, should the posp scope sit over the rifle perfectly or should it be off to the left? Secondly, it seems like the reticle is a little crooked. Help?

Sorry to double post, but scratch the crooked reticule comment for the most part, as I think it is just because I am left handed and I was looking at it wrong. Perhaps I have even become accustomed to holding the gun at a slight slant, making it seem like the scope is slanted. However, I love the quality of the scope. Thanks for the recommendations!

Got the scope...two things. when mounted, should the posp scope sit over the rifle perfectly or should it be off to the left? Secondly, it seems like the reticle is a little crooked. Help?

Cooked as in tilted or off center inside of the scope?

The latter is entirely normal, as the scope moves the reticle for adjustment, instead of the image. Tilted would be a defect.

It should be aprox. 5/8'ths off center of the bore, to the left. IIRC, it's 2-3/4" high and 5/8ths to the left.

Edited by Tombs

Yes, off a slight bit to the left is proper. I just got my posp 4x sighted in today at the 50yard and was getting an average of 1.5" groups on the bench, ran out of time to hit the 100yard. I am liking this optic though and I think it will help greatly at further distances.

I am going shooting this weekend. Stay tuned, but realize that they are all the same manufacturer. From the looks of it, the Firefield is no different from Eastwave's. I bought it from an ebay seller, the link is above. Quick transaction, very well done. If you want to buy it from him I know there are a few more remaining.

What's the eye relief like with that sporter stock still on there?

I'd think it would be pretty neck-straining.

The rubber eye piece is also a huge assist in maintaining the exact same cheek weld every time, and rapidly hitting your eye relief point. I'd highly recommend using it. If you want to stay with the unconverted configuration, get a SVD pattern saiga skeleton stock, the izhmash one. That stock alone made it very hard for me to end up doing the conversion. It works SO nicely with optics, and provides such a comfortable cheek weld, one of my all time favorite stocks I've ever used.

Sad they don't make it for the converted saigas...

Edited by Tombs

The rubber eye piece is also a huge assist in maintaining the exact same cheek weld every time, and rapidly hitting your eye relief point. I'd highly recommend using it.

If you want to stay with the unconverted configuration, get a SVD pattern saiga skeleton stock, the izhmash one. That stock alone made it very hard for me to end up doing the conversion. It works SO nicely with optics, and provides such a comfortable cheek weld, one of my all time favorite stocks I've ever used.

+1 to the SVD stock, it's no accident that it works so well for optics. I can't say enough good about it either.

I wonder if the PSL version of the SVD stock could be modified to fit a regular AK receiver.

SVD_StockForPSL.jpg

Z

Funny you should say that, because I was going to get the SVD stock next! Unfortunately, I have yet to make it to the range. BTW, the eye relief is just fine.Thanks for the eyepiece recommendation, I'll have to give it a try at the range. However, I have glasses, which should it hard to use the rubber eyepiece very well.

Also, you could go with an ordinary Draganov stock if you converted, such as this, but I am sure you have already seen that. I don't know why more people don't use Dragonov stocks, I personally like them better than the standard AK configuration.

The rubber eye piece is also a huge assist in maintaining the exact same cheek weld every time, and rapidly hitting your eye relief point. I'd highly recommend using it.

If you want to stay with the unconverted configuration, get a SVD pattern saiga skeleton stock, the izhmash one. That stock alone made it very hard for me to end up doing the conversion. It works SO nicely with optics, and provides such a comfortable cheek weld, one of my all time favorite stocks I've ever used.

+1 to the SVD stock, it's no accident that it works so well for optics. I can't say enough good about it either.

I wonder if the PSL version of the SVD stock could be modified to fit a regular AK receiver.

SVD_StockForPSL.jpg

Z

If you have one laying around you should try just slapping it into the back of an AK if it'll fit and see how far forward it will go to get an idea of what needs done. If it doesn't look like it'll be that bad I'd certainly grab one and see.

What's the eye relief like with that sporter stock still on there?

I'd think it would be pretty neck-straining.

The rubber eye piece is also a huge assist in maintaining the exact same cheek weld every time, and rapidly hitting your eye relief point. I'd highly recommend using it. If you want to stay with the unconverted configuration, get a SVD pattern saiga skeleton stock, the izhmash one. That stock alone made it very hard for me to end up doing the conversion. It works SO nicely with optics, and provides such a comfortable cheek weld, one of my all time favorite stocks I've ever used.

Sad they don't make it for the converted saigas...

My set up is just as CPF, I ust the rubber eye piece and it is spot on, no strain, it lines up perfect.

I went to the 100 yard range earlier today to try out my new scope and ammo. After about 20 shots of trying to get the rounds to hit the target (sighting in my scope), I finally got consistent. So I changed out the target, and after a few shots on the new target, I managed to get all of the shots within the 6 inch red square (seen below). For those thinking of getting the Firefield scope, do so. It works just as great as Eastwave or Kalinka, because it is exactly the same. I have no issues with it after today. Definitely worth the money.

target.jpg

Edited by CPF

Once more for clarity, POSP's are made by Zenit/BelOMO and not Firefield, Eastwave or Kalinka. Those are distributors not manufacturers.

It's not a Firefield POSP that's exactly the same as a Kalinka, it's a Zenit POSP that was bought from Firefield. It doesn't make sense to associate the scope with whoever you bought it from and it only confuses people not familar with the optic.

Cheers

Z

Ok, I was just making sure that people didn't go through the conundrum that I did where I thought that the Firefield was any different than the Eastwave or Kalinka. But anyway, thank you for the recommendation, I can't get over how perfect the scope is for me!