V-plug vs. Autoplug

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't had to adjust it since it was dialed in . It sure beats having to adjust a plug before using different loads.Plus its fun sticking a few high brass between the low brass when someone else is

Run a V-Plug here. So you have to spend 10 seconds to adjust it. BFD. It's piece of mind knowing I can truly adjust and KNOW how much gas is being used. I don't have to worry about something shoot

Sure you can. Just open it up to setting 3,4, or 5. Like I said, until I see actual proof of it changing the amound of gas that goes into your system, that's all you guys are doing is dumping a ton

you might want to try a search first. there was just a poll on this. or something like it. there is tons of info on both.

I searched for info on both products. Did not find a poll. But from what I had found. It seems more people have the v-plug.

Edited by drewfus53

Of course they do.

Its been on the market longer.

The cost difference is also the kicker aswell.

you might want to try a search first. there was just a poll on this. or something like it. there is tons of info on both.

I searched for info on both products. Did not find a poll. But from what I had found. It seems more people have the v-plug.

Edited by snafu360

I haven't had to adjust it since it was dialed in . It sure beats having to adjust a plug before using different loads.Plus its fun sticking a few high brass between the low brass when someone else is shooting your gun.:devil:

• Like 3

I did buy a Autoplug when they first came out but never used it. Its in with the prizes on the contest currently.

So basicly I don't have any expirience with either. Both are well spoken of however and I'm sure you'll be well served, However I don't believe either improves cycling ability unless you are overgassed.

its a question of what level of convinience you are looking for. The V-plug will adjust easily, and is cheaper, and the autoplug needs no adjustment and costs slightly more.

Personaly I do like the idea of running a mixed mag for suprise shots though.

So basicly I don't have any expirience with either. Both are well spoken of however and I'm sure you'll be well served, However I don't believe either improves cycling ability unless you are overgassed.

I don't think the purpose of either is to enable you to cycle weaker ammo than you can shoot on setting 2 with the factory plug...the v-plug enables you to achieve better control of intermediate rounds (say high brass game loads and buckshot) and the autoplug enables you to do the same without having to learn the best setting for everything, set-and-forget.

If it's cycling ability you are after, the plug is usually the wrong place to look. Booster plug, profile, ports in that order (unless you have hidden ports in which case I'd move that up the list).

I don't think the purpose of either is to enable you to cycle weaker ammo than you can shoot on setting 2 with the factory plug...the v-plug enables you to achieve better control of intermediate rounds (say high brass game loads and buckshot) and the autoplug enables you to do the same without having to learn the best setting for everything, set-and-forget.

If it's cycling ability you are after, the plug is usually the wrong place to look. Booster plug, profile, ports in that order (unless you have hidden ports in which case I'd move that up the list).

Its a slight difference but accualy both the V-plug and the autoplug take up a greater space in the gas block allowing the available gasses to work slightly better(the smaller volume takes less to fill to pressure).

It would be a very marginal gain however IMHO.

I run the V-plug in my 4 port gun since I run a lot of magnum loads. The V-plug made it short-stroke on the most restrictive setting with Brenneke 3" black magic magnum slugs. That gave me full confidence that I wouldn't batter the hell out of my rear trunnion.

I might get an autoplug to play around with next month. I love the concept, I'm just not sold on it for gnarly magnum shells.

I chose V-plug only because when I had my autoplug my gun constantly FTE. This was also before I got my booster piston from MD Arms which has made a world of difference. I'd like to try the autoplug / booster piston combo to see if it works in my gun though.

I voted Autoplug, though I don't shoot 3" regularly. Tac47 recommends against Magnums for the autoplug. It would be cool to see some range tests done with 3" and the Autoplug.

If I want to shoot 3-in shells, I'll simply screw the factory plug back in. But I like my shoulder enough that I have no use for them except turkeys so that's 2-3 shells in an entire year!

I voted Autoplug. I've used it since it came out, and goodness does it work. I haven't kept up the round count, but it's a LOT.

Set and forget is exactly how it is. That being said, I never shoot 3". Only the occasional buckshot and lots of walmart bulkpack. LOTS of walmart bulkpack. :)

p.s. A dab of blue loctite goes a LONG way on the Autoplug.

I am planning on buying the autoplug, no experience with either so I didn't vote. I plan on the autoplug combined with the booster puck. I don't have gas issues just want the parts count. I look at it like this: if you experiment and/or shoot a wide variety of shells the v-plug is the way to go. I trust my S12 and have chosen its primary diet so FOR ME the convenience of the auto-plug is the selling point. A nice bonus (or so it seems) is that it helps keep the area infront of the puck clean. From what I've read, they both do what they were intended to do and neither will "fix" an under gassed gun. Good luck.

Hey guys, Im planning on purchasing one of the two very soon. Just curious what you guys think is the more dependable/reliable one. Or maybe they're both just as dependent. Let me hear what you think!

LOL, thanks for the reasurance I'm not the only one that enjoys getting my shoulder shoved, I had to wonder with all the talk about the low base bulk pack rounds.

That said lets get this back to being about the pro's and cons of the V-plug or Autoplug.

Nevermind... you edited your post with relevant info to the main topic of disscusion. LOL I in turn have added this edit to mine.

Edited by Nailbomb

Seems to me that you could adjust the autoplug using the 3 inch shells as your base shell and it would vent enough that it would not batter the weapon.

Of course it would then be a single shot gun with the lesser rounds (bulk,birdshot etc), but if 3 inch is what you usually shoot that would be a moot point.

I really like my autoplug, and if I have to put a drop of blue loctite on the threads to keep the adjustment from moving, that is a very small inconvenience.

I shoot 3" once in a great while, if I have an interesting target I want to inflict max damage on.

Otherwise, 2 3/4" gets the job done... and it's less expensive.

As for the poll I vote "c"; factory plug! :D

I rarely have to adjust it for lighter loads, when the gas block's relatively clean.

I've got a V-Plug on the way that's part of an MD Arms GunBroker auction I won, so I'll be able to try that out next week. I might use it just for the ease of adjustment; i.e. no tools required in most cases.

I voted Autoplug, though I don't shoot 3" regularly. Tac47 recommends against Magnums for the autoplug. It would be cool to see some range tests done with 3" and the Autoplug.

I was sold on the autoplug till I read that. I wanna shoot whatever, whenever, however, no if's and's but's or exceptions.

Looks like I need to find a different plug.