V-plug vs. Autoplug

I voted Autoplug, though I don't shoot 3" regularly. Tac47 recommends against Magnums for the autoplug. It would be cool to see some range tests done with 3" and the Autoplug.

I was sold on the autoplug till I read that. I wanna shoot whatever, whenever, however, no if's and's but's or exceptions.

Looks like I need to find a different plug.

That's why I'd like to see actual range tests like carrier/rear block contact or further explanation from TAC47. It would not be the 1st time something was used outside of it's intended parameters.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't had to adjust it since it was dialed in . It sure beats having to adjust a plug before using different loads.Plus its fun sticking a few high brass between the low brass when someone else is

Run a V-Plug here. So you have to spend 10 seconds to adjust it. BFD. It's piece of mind knowing I can truly adjust and KNOW how much gas is being used. I don't have to worry about something shoot

Sure you can. Just open it up to setting 3,4, or 5. Like I said, until I see actual proof of it changing the amound of gas that goes into your system, that's all you guys are doing is dumping a ton

I voted Autoplug, though I don't shoot 3" regularly. Tac47 recommends against Magnums for the autoplug. It would be cool to see some range tests done with 3" and the Autoplug.

I was sold on the autoplug till I read that. I wanna shoot whatever, whenever, however, no if's and's but's or exceptions.

That's why I'd like to see actual range tests like carrier/rear block contact or further explanation from TAC47. It would not be the 1st time something was used outside of it's intended parameters.

I hear ya. I'd buy one if I knew straight from TAC47 that I actually can use 3 inch shells regularly.

I hear ya. I'd buy one if I knew straight from TAC47 that I actually can use 3 inch shells regularly.

Yea, I was just thinking the same exact thing. I was just getting read to put in an order for one, until I read all that. Hopefully someone will post the answer or results of any range tests with the autoplug, or maybe tac47 themselves will come forward and say whether or not its safe to shoot the magnums. If not, Theres always the v-plug.

Here's the video of the autoplug being tested back in the day with a mixed mag of low brass, high brass and turkey shot.

I haven't used any plug since, over 1000 rounds since last year and the plug has only needed a minor turn on two different occasions.

Z

Here's the video of the autoplug being tested back in the day with a mixed mag of low brass, high brass and turkey shot.

I haven't used any plug since, over 1000 rounds since last year and the plug has only needed a minor turn on two different occasions.

Z

In this video, I would have liked to seen you follow up with the same test on a stock plug on setting 2.

I could set my factory plug to 2, and shoot everything 100% and call it an auto-plug.

It seems to me that, theoretically, with an auto plug, all the shells, regardless of their power level, show be ejecting with relatively the same distance and force. In all the tac47 videos I've seen posted on Youtube, this video included, the magnum loads come absolutely blazing out and the birdshot just dribbles out.

In no way am I bashing the product, but from the videos I've seen, I'm not convinced the product works exactly as advertised. Simply shooting various loads and claiming the product "works" isn't enough for me. But trust me, I'd love to have a set-it-and-forget-it plug. In fact, I just made a post earlier today about how much trouble I have adjusting my gas plug when my gas block/plug gets very hot and fouled up. It would save a lot of troubles.

Everything is a compromise I suppose....well, until we get our hands on the ver. 030 :devil:

Edited by TwentyNizzo

Remember this video wasn't a scientific test video, it was a demonstration of the plug in action around the time it was released on the market. By itself it's not intended to prove anything, but I like the plug and I like the video.

I don't think it's realistic to expect the shells to land in a neat little circle, they won't do that on any manual plug due to variations in each manufacturer, differences inside of each brand etc. I don't know why the autoplug is supposed to do that when no other plug does it...remember it's just an overpressure valve that pops when too much gas hits it, it's not a fuel injected electronically controlled gas regulator.

I'm not an engineer and I didn't design the plug, I'm just the guy pulling the trigger. It's been debated to death since it came out and all I know as an end user is that it works as advertised. You can shoot all kinds of brass without changing settings, that's what it does and that IS what is advertised. It's not advertised as being a magical device, it doesn't help undergassed guns and it's probably not a good idea to shoot 3" magnums through it according to Tac47.

Z

Well if tac47 themselves recommend not shooting magnums with the plug,then thats a deal breaker for me im afraid. Why should I have to change out plugs just to be able to shoot 3"?

From what I have experienced with 3" from my S-12 is they kick like a frickin mule! If my shoulder hurts from feeling the recoil from the stock, then think about how hard the bolt carrier is hitting the back of the receiver and trunnion and what kind of damage could cause to the gun in the long term? Stay with 2-3/4" save you're 3" for the Pumps... just my two cents.

Edited by RoughRider666

From what I have experienced with 3" from my S-12 is they kick like a frickin mule! If my shoulder hurts from feeling the recoil from the stock, then think about how hard the bolt carrier is hitting the back of the receiver and trunnion and what kind of damage could cause to the gun in the long term? Stay with 2-3/4" save you're 3" for the Pumps... just my two cents.

I'm confused by this statement...

The gas system on a saiga takes some of the recoil, as opposed to a pump...

Why save the 3" for a pump?

I have had my auto plug for a while now. Don't shoot any 3" stuff, so that doesn't hamper me at all. It is very nice to not have to stop and adjust from #6 shot to 00. I also believe there's something about 2 3/4" slugs being a no-no. Haven't had to readjust yet. Also my gun is gassed well too, never really had a problem before the auto plug, just got it for convenience. Either or would be a good choice.

I sure hope your right. If the damn thing cant even take 2 3/4 slugs, what a piece of shit for 45 bucks. I can understand the 3" stuff but regular slugs? fuck that.

Don't jump to conclusions.

There's nothing about the autoplug that says you can't shoot 2 3/4. It shoots slugs, bird shot and buckshot just fine, but 3" magnum is not recommended.

Z

• Like 2

So its no to all 3 inchers? or no to just 3inch magnums?

I thought that all 3" inch shells WERE magnums and people just say magnum to be redundant...

oh..... :blush:

Well...still going with autoplug :beer:

I think I will be as well with this new S-12 project that I'm building...

(Don't worry, Mike, I'll still be buying a V-plug as a contingency plan if the autoplug doesn't work the way I'd like it to.headbang.gif)

I was told by someone on the forum that by putting the Tromix Monster brake onto my saiga s12 that it will need some gas work done porting the holes out more ect i was just wondering if the auto plug works good with a tromix monster brake or should i go with the v plug or just keep it stock open to suggestions.

I was told by someone on the forum that by putting the Tromix Monster brake onto my saiga s12 that it will need some gas work done porting the holes out more ect i was just wondering if the auto plug works good with a tromix monster brake or should i go with the v plug or just keep it stock open to suggestions.

The monster brake will not affect ANYTHING. aside from recoil and muzzleclimb. You will not have to adjust your gas system. The autoplug will be fine with it.

After some hesitation I ordered my auto plug today for my first Saiga build. Figured sacrificing 3" shells usage over adjusting the plug between mag's was a fair compromise. When I do my SBS build later this year I can see me going v-plug so I can run big nasty stuff through it, but a 2 3/4" slug will kill something just as dead as a 3" slug so....

After some hesitation I ordered my auto plug today for my first Saiga build. Figured sacrificing 3" shells usage over adjusting the plug between mag's was a fair compromise. When I do my SBS build later this year I can see me going v-plug so I can run big nasty stuff through it, but a 2 3/4" slug will kill something just as dead as a 3" slug so....

No comparison between the 2.75 and 3" slugs IMO. The 3" slugs pack a much bigger wallop.