V-plug vs. Autoplug

I am measuring dead, not wallop :-)

I can't imagine my wife enjoying shooting 3" shoulder killers anyway. My SBS will be mine only, the ATF say so, and it will run 3" nastyness.

I hear a similar debate at work between hunters about 3" vs 3 1/2" shell usage. A buddy at work wanted a Saiga till he found out, "it only shoots those weak ass 3" shells" I quote. This is the same guy who made fun of me for wanting a Beowulf .50

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't had to adjust it since it was dialed in . It sure beats having to adjust a plug before using different loads.Plus its fun sticking a few high brass between the low brass when someone else is

Run a V-Plug here. So you have to spend 10 seconds to adjust it. BFD. It's piece of mind knowing I can truly adjust and KNOW how much gas is being used. I don't have to worry about something shoot

Sure you can. Just open it up to setting 3,4, or 5. Like I said, until I see actual proof of it changing the amound of gas that goes into your system, that's all you guys are doing is dumping a ton

I am measuring dead, not wallop :-)

I can't imagine my wife enjoying shooting 3" shoulder killers anyway. My SBS will be mine only, the ATF say so, and it will run 3" nastyness.

I hear a similar debate at work between hunters about 3" vs 3 1/2" shell usage. A buddy at work wanted a Saiga till he found out, "it only shoots those weak ass 3" shells" I quote. This is the same guy who made fun of me for wanting a Beowulf .50

Well, now you've got to call the guy out.

Load up 20 2 3/4" slugs in a drum and dump it as fast as you can while holding it on target. Then load up 20 more slugs and hand the shotgun and drum over to him...

As soon as I get mine back and it isnt Georgia clay/Texas Longhorn colored anymore I absolutely will. I cannot wait to have all my super cool parts on it that have been sitting idly in the Saiga factory box laid out to resemble a gun (sad when I see how that sounds) till it actually becomes a gun again.

Run a V-Plug here. So you have to spend 10 seconds to adjust it. BFD. It's piece of mind knowing I can truly adjust and KNOW how much gas is being used. I don't have to worry about something shooting everything because it just let's a shit ton of gas in the system while claiming to be "auto". And since I haven't seen an scientific evidence to prove otherwise, that's all you guys who run the auto plug are doing.

Run a V-Plug here. So you have to spend 10 seconds to adjust it. BFD. It's piece of mind knowing I can truly adjust and KNOW how much gas is being used. I don't have to worry about something shooting everything because it just let's a shit ton of gas in the system while claiming to be "auto". And since I haven't seen an scientific evidence to prove otherwise, that's all you guys who run the auto plug are doing.

You can't run a mixed mag of ammo with the V-plug, like you can with the auto plug.

You can't run a mixed mag of ammo with the V-plug, like you can with the auto plug.

Sure you can. Just open it up to setting 3,4, or 5. Like I said, until I see actual proof of it changing the amound of gas that goes into your system, that's all you guys are doing is dumping a ton of gas into your system and thinking it's auto adjusting.

• Like 1

Just bought the gun 3 days ago. Haven't shot it yet yet. Did the search didn't find anything. I have already ordered a v-plug (plus $450 of other parts) and I haven't shot the weapon yet. I may have jumped the gun.

Edited by Palidin

Sure you can. Just open it up to setting 3,4, or 5. Like I said, until I see actual proof of it changing the amound of gas that goes into your system, that's all you guys are doing is dumping a ton of gas into your system and thinking it's auto adjusting.

Someone on here did a video test of different plugs, and put tape on the trunnions to see how hard it was being hit.

They used different loads and the auto plug did fine.

If the auto plug was over gassing the gun, the trunnion would show wear marks.

• Like 1

As of this weekend i have over 500 rds of slug over 300 buck and about 1200 rds of various birdshot loads through my s12 with the auto plug and my trunnion is fine no dings dents bent parts or otherwise. There is also nothing wrong with the v plug if i have to run 3 inch i go to the v plug set it and go shoot. This scientific proof argument as well as the if all the hulls don't land in a neat pile argument is getting old. If you don't have an autoplug and have not shot an s 12 with one then let it go. It works as intended.

This debate is good (I think all debate is good) - but the point really is moot on both sides.

[1] In most (if not all) real world situations, the operator would be using a single load type in a magazine (and even between mag changes). So for real application NEITHER is better than the other. Both will work equally well.

[2] In a RARE case where the load were to change from low/regular power shells to 3" Mag shells, again - there is no winner between the 2 (neither will work relaibly)

[3] Neither plug will solve for a BAD production gun.

[4] Each plug has it's caveats

[5] Both plugs can truthfully make the statement that thiers is superior over the stock plug.

> V-Plug has it's fans (and rightfully so) because of the peace-of-mind it gives them that they control the plug's function to better protects their Saiga from undue wear...

> Auto-plug has it's fans (and rightfully so) because of the peace-of-mind it gives them that the plug's over-pressure system better protects their Saiga from undue wear...

Let's shift to a better mentallity that gives each his due...

Edited by jhelmuth
  • Like 1

boomstick and bigmegina

The autoplug basically works off of the LOWEST gas setting so that only the amount needed to cycle, impacts the system. Extra gas is vented OUT. If this were not the case - we would be hearing about autoplug users having trunnion cracks or atleast dust covers that will no longer properly fit.

Of course to each their own, from reading, the V-plug sounds like a great product (especially for the price) with the only real advantage being the use of 3 inch slugs. From reading, the autoplug sounds like a great product with the only real advantage being convenience/speed. I don't see why it is necessary to attack the product you don't use when it has a LOT of happy customers with high round counts and no damage.

Do you guys really think Tac47 is lying about their product?

From what I have experienced with 3" from my S-12 is they kick like a frickin mule! If my shoulder hurts from feeling the recoil from the stock, then think about how hard the bolt carrier is hitting the back of the receiver and trunnion and what kind of damage could cause to the gun in the long term? Stay with 2-3/4" save you're 3" for the Pumps... just my two cents.

I'm confused by this statement...

The gas system on a saiga takes some of the recoil, as opposed to a pump...

Why save the 3" for a pump?

Because the pump is a solid link, it is locked in place. The semi auto gas action has the bolt flying back and hits a stop. The higher pressure the shell the harder it hits. Therefore more posoblity for damage.

• 1 month later...

The auto plug is a great item. I have used the V-Plug but I forget to change it all the time. The system is like and M1 Garand, it's also a gas gun. It was built for a certain pressure and speed of the powder. By changing the powder you can bend and break parts. An adjustable plug was made for the M1 it worked fine, when you changed loads or powder it made sure you had the min amount to cycle the bolt, no chance to over gas or break or bend things. I have the auto plug now, It's best to use a fire arm the way it was designed and the correct ammo, I think less is better. You can tell when you over gas, Kicks like hell, the spring is for some recoil but is also for bolt rerurn. The gas is only increased prior to the shot, slug or what ever as it passes the holes and when it leaves the barrel the pressure drops; so it's very fast to control this takes an action like the auto plug for concistancy.

Great product.

Loco

I have 2 Autoplugs and they are a wonderful device, so far. I would like to test them further before I get one for all of my S12s. I have used the V-Plug and really like it. It is nice to be able to adjust without needing a tool, provided you haven't already shot a few hundred rounds without moving the plug :angel: They will get somewhat "stuck" and you will need a tool to bust it loose. I put moly grease on the threads of the plug and it seems to "buy a little time" while having extended sessions.

Both are great. It all depends on what your intentions and needs are.

Do either of you actually have an autoplug or are you both Internet experts that magically know how this device works?

Z

Edited by TX-Zen

I have 2 Autoplugs and they are a wonderful device, so far. I would like to test them further before I get one for all of my S12s. I have used the V-Plug and really like it. It is nice to be able to adjust without needing a tool, provided you haven't already shot a few hundred rounds without moving the plug :angel: They will get somewhat "stuck" and you will need a tool to bust it loose. I put moly grease on the threads of the plug and it seems to "buy a little time" while having extended sessions.

Try a dot of anti-sieze compound on the threads, has worked well for me so far.

Try a dot of anti-sieze compound on the threads, has worked well for me so far.

Jumping Grease? For some reason I seem to get that stuff all over everything :ph34r:

"Jumping Grease? For some reason I seem to get that stuff all over everything :ph34r: "

"Now that is funny, I don't care who you are."

I gotta figure a way to work that into a conversation at work.

My wife wonders how I get so "filthy" doing what I do?

Castalia

"Jumping Grease? For some reason I seem to get that stuff all over everything :ph34r: "

"Now that is funny, I don't care who you are."

I gotta figure a way to work that into a conversation at work.

My wife wonders how I get so "filthy" doing what I do?

Castalia

They say you'll take it to yer grave.

Someone on here did a video test of different plugs, and put tape on the trunnions to see how hard it was being hit.

They used different loads and the auto plug did fine.

If the auto plug was over gassing the gun, the trunnion would show wear marks.

I wish I could locate that thread to move the pic into this one. That test was quite definitive...even for the internet expert naysayers. I thought it was a quite ingenious way to test the amount of force reaching the trunion without high tech equipment.

I wish my Autoplug from Tac-47 would FINALLY come in so I could make a worthy comment in here..... rolleyes.gif

Lidocaine Looney,

As you can see we track and ship all of our packages now. I do not understand why it took so long. Thank you for your paticents however we shipped ontime.

Yea, I knew you guys did. I wasn't ripping on you or meant any disrespect. Was just wanting the postal service to hurry up and actual have a "priority." Haha

Thanks again!

Used a V-plug for about 2000 rounds with my new s12 over the last 2 months. The V-plug worked well.

Just put a borrowed Autoplug on my gun this morning and went to the range. Once adjusted using Federal 3 1/4 dram #7 1/2 loads the gun seemed to cycle better.

I loaded a 12rd mag with Walmart low brass Winchester,RIO 3 3/4 dram #6 loads, Federal 3 1/4 dram #7 1/2 loads, and a couple of Federal 2 3/4" 1oz. slug loads.

The gun worked flawlessly.The gun cycled all the aforementioned loads with the V-plug. I just had to adjust between loads.

I think I am an Autoplug convert.

Edited by Castalia

This debate is good (I think all debate is good) - but the point really is moot on both sides.

[1] In most (if not all) real world situations, the operator would be using a single load type in a magazine (and even between mag changes). So for real application NEITHER is better than the other. Both will work equally well.

[2] In a RARE case where the load were to change from low/regular power shells to 3" Mag shells, again - there is no winner between the 2 (neither will work relaibly)

[3] Neither plug will solve for a BAD production gun.

[4] Each plug has it's caveats

[5] Both plugs can truthfully make the statement that thiers is superior over the stock plug.

> V-Plug has it's fans (and rightfully so) because of the peace-of-mind it gives them that they control the plug's function to better protects their Saiga from undue wear...

> Auto-plug has it's fans (and rightfully so) because of the peace-of-mind it gives them that the plug's over-pressure system better protects their Saiga from undue wear...

Let's shift to a better mentallity that gives each his due...

Just FYI... I ended up buying the V-Plug. In the end, I don't think it mattered - but for me, I knew I would not be "mixing" the loads, so the V-Plug made a bit more sense. Going out to the range over the next 2 days to get herr tuned in to some different loads. (Note: I had Pauly do his magic with his Glass Bolt service)