I know Keltec has their new dual tube shotgun that they are "fine tuning" since its debut at ShotShow, but I just noticed this series of rifles in .223/5.56.

As usual, Keltec has some neat looking designs. I know they get slammed as far as quality, but I like their attempts at pushing the envelope(for the mass market that is).

You can check out all 7 models at the main website but here are 3 versions (each with some cool features):

The standard rifle: http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifles/su-16a/

"Charlie" model with folding stock which allows you to fire folded: http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifles/su-16c-2/

"D" model in 2 lengths, combat style, under 20" folded: http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifles/su-16d/

Saw a couple on Gunbroker under MSRP.

Hope some folks grab one and give us a report

Cheers,

Harv

Good little rifle, I like mine. Its no AR.. but for a backpacker, camp gun, casual shooter... its a perfectly good alternitive. The wife actually prefers it to my tricked out AR due to the weight difference. It is what it is, and for what it is, its ain't bad.

• Like 1

I have the PLR-16... the pistol version. I love it. It runs AR mags, doesn't jam, she's amazingly light.

Would it be good for a few hundred rounds of suppressive fire on full auto? No.

Is it more reliable than direct gas impingement? Hell yes!

I'm getting an SU for my GF as well. AKs and ARs are too heavy for her tastes, but she loves the Kel tec.

• Like 1

The C model is probably the best bang for your $. Check out NutinFancy's review. I know some people think he's a dork but at least you get to see the rifle in action and decide for yourself instead of just reading about it.

I know im probably gonna end up getting one just for something fun in a 223.

The SU-16C is a good little shooter. Quite accurate and very lightweight, mine has run 100%. But as others have said it's no battle rifle... feels like a toy gun due to all the plastic and the folding stock is prone to breakage if you fall on it the wrong way. But once you get past the pig-ugly looks it's actually a good special-purpose rifle where weight or compactness is important. The combination of an AK-style piston with an AR bolt was pretty revolutionary when it came out, of course now there are plenty of piston AR hybrids.

Try the RFB... Absolutely sweet. .308 bullpup love baby.

I was looking at the SU16-c, but then adding the "E" kit for the PLR16 pistol grip and AR stock. Put a side folding hinge on her and roll.

The only thing you can't really use it for, that you can an AR, is suppressive fire. But the AR doesn't stand up that damn well for it either. The SAW was designed for a reason.

• Like 1

The SU-16C is a good little shooter. Quite accurate and very lightweight, mine has run 100%. But as others have said it's no battle rifle... feels like a toy gun due to all the plastic and the folding stock is prone to breakage if you fall on it the wrong way. But once you get past the pig-ugly looks it's actually a good special-purpose rifle where weight or compactness is important. The combination of an AK-style piston with an AR bolt was pretty revolutionary when it came out, of course now there are plenty of piston AR hybrids.

Kel Tec just came out with a lower to fit this rifle that will transform it into (almost) a AR. If I already had one I would be all over this:

Kel Tec

Sadly, for the cost of the SU-16 and this lower I can get a AR already built...

I remember back in 2004 or thenabouts I was in the market for a .223 rifle. I was having a tough time deciding between the SU-16 and the AR-180B. I eventually got the AR-180B, but I always had a hankering for the Kel-Tec. The subsequent models of SU-16 only made it worse!

I miss that AR-180B though.

• 2 months later...

I wish they'd make a sub-2000 in .45acp with 1911 mags! I read that they get asked that question a lot, but have no plans to make one. That new Hi-point 45 carbine is too damn ugly, and the only mags it uses are 8rd Hi-point and 10rd Pro-mag. No thank you.

I wish they'd make a sub-2000 in .45acp with 1911 mags! I read that they get asked that question a lot, but have no plans to make one. That new Hi-point 45 carbine is too damn ugly, and the only mags it uses are 8rd Hi-point and 10rd Pro-mag. No thank you.

I would have liked a .45 also (I have a 9mm Glock and a .40 S&W Glock) but I don't think they will ever produce one. The stuff they make now + the SBS that is supposedly coming are popular enough they can't keep up with the demand now. They won't increase production capacity because of our Current administration (just my opinion). If they actually pull off everything they (the current administration) want to there will be no more weapon manufacturers in the US and eventually they will try to get ever weapon in private owner ship. So if they have to shut down at least they can cut there losses.

That is not the worst of things. If they (the current administration) accomplish everything they want we will have a country equal to Germany in 1939. I hope our people will wake up and impeach all of these jokers.

In my opinion we don't need the current style government we have now anyway. It was established before modern communications when some one had to travel to a central location (Washington) and voice the opinion of the people he or she (have to be socially correct) was representing. To day the elected officials don't do what 98% of there constituents want any way. They usually have agendas of there own.

There are already more laws on the books than they can enforce. With modern technology 98 % of the population could vote on a new law if one was needed and we would save the billions of dollars we pay a unproductive (most likely corrupt) government.

Just My,

:2c:

Edited by Palidin
  • Like 1

I'm quite tempted by a B locally. Folds up tighter than the C, stores a magazine in the stock. Would be my first .223, a caliber I'm not particularly fond of. Is a bit mousefart IMO, but I consider the SU-16 to be among the best survival style rifles in the world.

And you can't beat Kel-tec's lifetime warrentee

I love my 9mm Sub 2000.... Id love it if they made it in .45, but I imagine a 10mm one that took Glock 20 mags would be freaking awesome.

If I had to liquidate my collection, the SU-16C with "E" stock would be the last to go.

Same with my pistols. The PF9 is a lot of 9mm in a little, easily concealed package, and I'll be handing on to ituntil the cows come home.