Anti-seize on gas plug/block threads?

One real advantage I like about my V-plug is that you don't have to depress the detent pin to change settings.

However, usually when I shoot, I shot a lot of rounds in a short time. So my gas plug is usually too hot to touch. I've also noticed that my gas plug gets almost impossible to turn by hand. For example, I shot 75 slugs last week and I couldn't turn the plug by hand - had to use a tool. Once removing the plug for cleaning there wasn't much fouling at all. Some fouling had managed to penetrate the plug threads though. I imagine that the metal heating up and expanding also increases resistance. When the plug and gas block are clean the plug screws in and out with no resistance.

Would adding some anti-seize compound to the gas plug threads before screwing it in help avoid fouling into the threads and allow the plug to screw easier during operation?

Thanks - as always.

If you use a high temp nickle base, I don't see why not. Just use sparingly. Remeber grease collects grit, you don't want it oozing into your gas chamber cause that'll definately shorten times between cleaning. My philosphy is always: when in doubt lubercate!

Edited by poolingmyignorance

I clean after each session so I don't think it would be an issue. It's not like cleaning is difficult anyways....remove the gas plug, shake out any fouling, shove in a paper towel, rinse off gas plug in sink, and you're done. Damn I love this shotgun.

My S-12 is the same way. I haven't had much luck with lubes on the threads. I have just resigned myself to having to use a screwdriver in the slots of my plug to twist it off or to change settings.

There is no flippin way I am gonna put that shotgun down without shooting at Least 75-100 rounds through it! Usually more than that! If I was to ever sell my S-12, I would never be able to make a guess at how many rounds have been run through it!!:super:

I have used anti seize and it does work.... To a certain point. After repeated md20 dumps it will seize up regardless but if you are only shooting 50-75 rounds it will help. I always use it regardless.

For some reason my plug locks up much harder with the 75 slugs than 200 rounds of birdshot, eventhough the later has far more fouling in the gas block. I think it's probably due to the higher pressures generated by the high brass loads forcing gunk into the threads.

I agree with the use of anti seize - I just apply and wipe it into the threads and off - anti seize compound actually bonds with the metal so very little is needed to achieve the desired effect.

However - heat dispersion must be considered in the situation you've described. The gas block and tube are thin and cool off faster than the plug. I believe the formula is 0.001" expansion per inch diameter at approx 275 degrees F. I may be off a bit (please correct me if you know better) but that is close. with that in mind - your plug (male) will expand a bit and not contract as quickly as the GB (female thread) and will thus bind.

Anti seize is designed to stop the corrosion and eliminate galling of dissimilar metals. Steel on steel of the gas plugs does not truly benefit from this, however, the added heat resistance with the lubricity is a plus.

The fouling and debris buildup will only be accelerated by the additional lubricant if not wiped clean - remember the golden rule of AK - keep the gas dry.

Have fun playing around and testing what works for you,

mark

• Like 1

I've been using anti-seize on the gas plug for years and will help to prevent the plug from sticking in the threads. It's also one of the best thread lubricants you can use on screw-in shotgun chokes like Remchokes and Winchokes. I've never had a choke tube stick in the barrel yet if it has a thin film of anti-seize on the threads.

Don't get it on yer hands you'll take it to your grave, lol. Nothing against the V-plug but I've read the Autoplug is much cleaner with high brass due to venting off the gasses and fouling though I'll probably end up with both plugs eventually.

I always use anti seize. I also use silicone spray for cleaning. Spray liberaly and let sit. Spray again and everything just falls off. Way cheaper than gun cleaner solvents. It really does work. Spray and use a brush for the barrel and the gas tube. I use a tornado brush for the barrel., a nylon brush for the gas tube. Hose down again when all the crap is out. Antisieze on the threads, and fishing reel grease on the slides inside the body where contact is made with the bolt carrier and stuff. May not work for everyone, and some may disagree, but it really does the shit. It holds up and lasts longer than anything else. I clean my gun after every shooting session. Spray oil with teflon and all that BS doesn't even come close to keeping mine lubed, I've found. Even tried spraying it in the gun between shooting, while out at the range - it's a joke. It's a gimmick. Grease on the rails is the only way to go. Must clean often, though. Anti-sieze helps you out a lot. Don't believe me? next time you are at wallyworld or your fav parts store, buy a couple cans of cheap silicone spray and try it yourself. If you don't like the results, re-clean with your fav high priced cleaner. I'd almost bet the silicone will do a better job, and will keep stuff from sticking in the future.