Drilling the rivets...oops

I started my conversion tonight and opps.. The drill bit went a little wide and the hole is going to be larger than the original on the trigger guard. Is this going to be a problem. I didn't get much further, because the drill bit snapped. Tomorrow I will be picking up a cold chisel set so I don't have another wide drilling problem. Is this something to worry about..........or is there a fix, or does it even need to be fixed?

Update: What the heck do I have to do to get these rivets out. Drilled them, then took the grinder to the bottom of the rivets off and *&^%^&*!!! I was able to get the old trigger guard off, but the top of the rivets won't come out. I could try to grind them down from the inside.... not sure that's a good idea. Any ideas... suggestions?

Edited by VegasShooter

I started my conversion tonight and opps.. The drill bit went a little wide and the hole is going to be larger than the original on the trigger guard. Is this going to be a problem. I didn't get much further, because the drill bit snapped. Tomorrow I will be picking up a cold chisel set so I don't have another wide drilling problem. Is this something to worry about..........or is there a fix, or does it even need to be fixed?

Please buy some Dewalt Cobalt drill bits before you go the cold chisel route. Unless you are really talented with a chisel, I don't see that going in a good direction. Keep in mind that the receiver is sheetmetal and it will bend. I have a feeling that you will end up with some bulges around the rivets. Why not grind or file the heads off of the rivets and knock them out with a punch?

Pics would help a great deal in advising. So, in the meantime, be careful, make well calculated decisions, go slow, and be safe. Nothing hurts my soul worse than a bubba'smithed firearm.

Please buy some Dewalt Cobalt drill bits before you go the cold chisel route. Unless you are really talented with a chisel, I don't see that going in a good direction. Keep in mind that the receiver is sheetmetal and it will bend. I have a feeling that you will end up with some bulges around the rivets. Why not grind or file the heads off of the rivets and knock them out with a punch?

Pics would help a great deal in advising. So, in the meantime, be careful, make well calculated decisions, go slow, and be safe. Nothing hurts my soul worse than a bubba'smithed firearm.

Agreed, and get a good center punch so that you have a good base to drill out the rivets.

Fresh drill bits is also crucial. I haven't found the brand to be that important. My first S12 I did with 1 Cobalt bit, by the last rivet it was very dull. The second S12 I did I got a 2 pack of Black&Decker bits from Walmart for $2ish. Worked great.

Agreed, and get a good center punch so that you have a good base to drill out the rivets.

Fresh drill bits is also crucial. I haven't found the brand to be that important. My first S12 I did with 1 Cobalt bit, by the last rivet it was very dull. The second S12 I did I got a 2 pack of Black&Decker bits from Walmart for $2ish. Worked great.

I hate Dewalt, period, but those Cobalt bits they put out will drill anything.... barrels and receivers too :angel:

Update: What the heck do I have to do to get these rivets out. Drilled them, then took the grinder to the bottom of the rivets off and *&^%^&*!!! I was able to get the old trigger guard off, but the top of the rivets won't come out. I could try to grind them down from the inside.... not sure that's a good idea. Any ideas... suggestions?

After four conversions using a few different techniques I found the easiest way is by using a dremel.

On the underside of the receiver, grind the rivets until they are flush with the trigger guarrd plate.

Use a flat head screwdriver or something similar to pry and remove the plate.

Grind what ever's left of the rivets down flush with the receiver.

Use a hammer and punch to bang out the rivets.

:smoke:

After four conversions using a few different techniques I found the easiest way is by using a dremel.

On the underside of the receiver, grind the rivets until they are flush with the trigger guarrd plate.

Use a flat head screwdriver or something similar to pry and remove the plate.

Grind what ever's left of the rivets down flush with the receiver.

Use a hammer and punch to bang out the rivets.

:smoke:

I agree, that's how I did it.

do yourself a favor and forget about drilling the rivets. take hand grinder and put a cutting wheel on. only do this if you have a steady hand.

put the gun in a vise.

start by cutting the first rivet near the but end.

once you cut off that rivet take the trigger guard and bend it back and it will snap right off.

then cut off rivets from but to barrel.

take a punch and knock the rivets out and you are done.

This will only take a few mins and its easy

Thanks everyone! After taking a couple deep breaths, I removed the bottom of the rivets with the grinder. I was then able to punch out the remaining part of the rivets...... just like you guys said. A couple of the holes are a little bigger due to the drilling, but I won't make that mistake again.

Thanks for all the advice!

Yeah I know some guys have an issue with instructions but trust the guys that wrote the instructions. Just follow the instructions that's all you gotta do. Do not drill out the rivets, get an alloy punch for metal and a hammer and drive it out.

The rivets are from hell I know but just take it easy. Slow and steady wins the race against rivets. Just enjoy the fact that you're going to be mutilating that politically correct, abominable trigger set up and drive the rivets out hard, slow and steady. :)