us made metal magazines designed for the saiga .223

The East German Weiger magazines set the bar IMHO. They are extremely well made, look good, function flawlessly like an AK mag should. If you can match or beat that performance and price point, then maybe its worth doing. They are trading for around 25-30$ right now, so that might be hard to beat.

• Like 2

The East German Weiger magazines set the bar IMHO. They are extremely well made, look good, function flawlessly like an AK mag should. If you can match or beat that performance and price point, then maybe its worth doing. They are trading for around 25-30$ right now, so that might be hard to beat.

Yep. Making a steel mag for the Saiga 223 wouldn't make any sense until the surplus Weigers were all gone. They are such great magazines, that I have sold all of my other types to buy more.

Do the Weiger magazines work with an unmodified Saiga or do they require the bullet guide installation?

They need a bullet guide. Don't be intimidated by that; if you follow the directions, use lots of cutting oil, and go slow, you'll won't have a problem installing one.

dont the weigers need a lot of modification to the magzines to work in the saiga? besides the bullet guide........and there not us made

Unless you are not converting your Saiga, there's no need to have U.S. made magazines.

Yes, the Weigers need modification. I wouldn't call it a lot. A little mod to the feed lips and to the locking tab, and they'll lock in nice and tight. I can post a little tutorial if anyone is interested.

Edited by Jim Digriz

If there were someone who would come up with steel magazines Surefire type , that don`t need modification or bullet guide, I would , of course , be interested . I have my Saiga .223 converted but without bullet guide and I am using Surefire mags . My Surefires work perfectly and I have not experienced any problems at all , but if I cut have a few steel mags , I would , just for the sake of reliability .

Edited by josey88

I'm so happy I have two Saigas that take un-modded metal Galil mags. :super:

I totally agree with JK-47 in that Weigers set the bar. I think a US mag could charge slightly more for those Saiga owners who would prefer a BG on the mag and the 3 US parts count. The guys who are hesitant to install a BG are probably not the most concerned about metal mags v polymer though.

I think there would be more room in the market for a 40-50 round US mag. Guys are more willing to go over $30 to get more capacity and the only current option is the Galil 50 which doesn't work fit easily for everyone. Even a person with a ton of mags already, might still consider buying at least one 40-50 round mag. Everyone gets off showing up at the range with a big phallic mag sticking out of their rifle. :lolol:

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone gets off showing up at the range with a big phallic mag sticking out of their rifle. :lolol:

Uhhh....

1. Not here in NY

2. Not on a range were the cops qualify and frequently practice

Gotta keep certain uh..."perversions" under wraps in this area.

Not that I have any interest in big phallic mags, of course.

Everyone gets off showing up at the range with a big phallic mag sticking out of their rifle. :lolol:

Uhhh....

1. Not here in NY

2. Not on a range were the cops qualify and frequently practice

Gotta keep certain uh..."perversions" under wraps in this area.

Not that I have any interest in big phallic mags, of course.

That's funny, I'm in NY and I have no problem getting pre-ban mags. Don't worry about cops, if you're not breaking the law, what can they do? Nothing.

• Like 1

I can remember a time when East German Weiger magazines cost $8 now they are closer to $30+ odds are that will continue to climb as east Germany is not making anything these days.

Also with all the AR-15 anti tip followers available, one should be able to make a magazine around existing parts... In the past I figured followers as 30% of the build cost, so if I'm using a $1-3 follower rather then making one I could see the cost being much lower.

The AR-15 adapters do require you to do some cutting.. Not everyone wants to do that.