5.45 with Y stamp

there was some 762x39 Saigas back in 2006-2007 that had the infamous Y stamped into them..

promptly listed on the ATF website for TURN-IN.. :blues:

NoDak makes 545 and 762 receivers with Y stamps on them (I think) and can also have the Cyrillic lettering on the safety/selector lettering..

You may find some other makes.. but I know of ZERO 545 Saigas with the Y.

Al

I am referring to the EXTRA 'Y' where the auto-sear pin would go thru.

back in 06-2007 RAA imported some models that had the Y ready to go.. hence the ATF recall on them..

Can't find the links right now.. but they were a HOT item back in 06-07.

Al

I am referring to the EXTRA 'Y' where the auto-sear pin would go thru.

back in 06-2007 RAA imported some models that had the Y ready to go.. hence the ATF recall on them..

Can't find the links right now.. but they were a HOT item back in 06-07.

Al

Yeah, but that's exactly what I mean. There are plenty of other stamped AK type rifles with the extra Y stamp all over the country that the ATF hasn't said a word about. So why were these Saiga's targeted? Not that I'm saying the ATF hasn't ever done shit that makes no sense, but I just wonder why this particular rifle, and not any of the numerous other manufacturers who left the Y stamp without drilling the hole and the ATF had no issues with.

• Like 1

My 09 5.45 has a Y stamp. Hope it helps!

can you please post a pic?

blink.gif didn't realize you were talking about an extra y stamp... mine is on the hammer bar if I can remember correctly. Sorry man, looks like your question has been answered by the other guy. 2006-2007?

Edited by PoisonYouth

Looks for all the world like a drill guide - make a full auto just by drilling a hole right here -->. No wonder they're excited. It's their job to get excited about that sort of thing.

But that's the issue. They aren't excited about it on every single Romanian AK that enters the country. They are only worried about the Russian ones. Not to mention that would make an awful guide for drilling the hole. The stamp is far to large to be a drill guide, the drill would walk all over inside that stamp. An adventurous person could be more accurate with a simple ruler than trying to use that stamp. You're also overlooking the fact that you would also need the rate reducer, an extra pin, the auto-sear, a new bolt carrier, and you'd also have to cut a section out of one of the rails inside the receiver. There is more to a full auto AK than just a hole in the receiver at a certain location.

A guy with a drill has probably heard of a center punch. And the other parts aren't hard to find. The point is that if the ATF doesn't like a feature, it's not the sort of thing you want to argue with them about. Unless you're filthy rich, of course. Those attorney fees will add up quick.

A guy with a drill has probably heard of a center punch. And the other parts aren't hard to find. The point is that if the ATF doesn't like a feature, it's not the sort of thing you want to argue with them about. Unless you're filthy rich, of course. Those attorney fees will add up quick.

That still doesn't answer why Romanians are fine but Russians are not.

Every single Romanian stamped receiver in the US, and all of those still coming in, have this stamp. The ATF does not mind it. Also a center punch will be necessary with or without this Y. If you wanted to do it, it would actually be easier to drill and layout the hole in a non-stamped receiver.

EDIT:

Upon further research, there isn't any issue with the stamp and never was. Some of the older Saiga's actually had the third hole there, and then the hole was sealed with a plug. These were the rifles that were affected. It had, and still does have nothing to do with the Y stamp. Same thing happened with some older Chinese AK's as well.

Edited by L5K
  • Like 1

there was some 762x39 Saigas back in 2006-2007 that had the infamous Y stamped into them..

promptly listed on the ATF website for TURN-IN.. :blues:

The issue wasn't with the Y stamp, it was because they had the evil 3rd hole from the factory and they were just pinned. I don't remember if they had the slot in the rail or just the hole, but I know the issue was with the hole and not just the Y stamp.

Edit: L5K beat me to it. :ded:

Edited by KC913