I bought my saiga in february. It was a 2002 model with minimal wear, 100-500rds, tops. When I got it I cleaned it with hoppes no9, and it seemed to come clean. I then tried the winchester break free and noticed no matter how many times I brush then swab, I cant get it clean, always a black patch. I have maybe put 600rds thru it and cleaned it after every range trip. I cant count how many times Ive gotten a black patch out since ive shot it last. Maybe Im too anal, but for pete sakes I want to get it clean, even though it doesnt need to be as clean as I want it. It seems like the previous owner shot it and let it sit for years, until running a patch thru it and selling it to me.

Is there a better solvent, if so what is it? And do any of you have this problem?

I don't have this problem because I just spray some CLP on the ol Boresnake, run that through 3-4 times and I'm done cleaning the barrel, (I shoot non-corrosive ammo). ;)

After just a few passes with the Boresnake, I can see the lands and grooves are nice and shiny; clean. I don't bother pushing patch after patch through hoping that one will eventually emerge snow-white. It's just not necessary and I have better things to do with my time.

ymmv.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

I bought my saiga in february. It was a 2002 model with minimal wear, 100-500rds, tops. When I got it I cleaned it with hoppes no9, and it seemed to come clean. I then tried the winchester break free and noticed no matter how many times I brush then swab, I cant get it clean, always a black patch. I have maybe put 600rds thru it and cleaned it after every range trip. I cant count how many times Ive gotten a black patch out since ive shot it last. Maybe Im too anal, but for pete sakes I want to get it clean, even though it doesnt need to be as clean as I want it. It seems like the previous owner shot it and let it sit for years, until running a patch thru it and selling it to me.

Is there a better solvent, if so what is it? And do any of you have this problem?

If it cycles and it's accurate, when your done cleaning it with the hoppes, then it's clean enough.

• Like 1

I use an Otis cable and oversized patches (the Otis ones or 12 gauge patches) to clean my 7.62X39mm rifle bores. It typically does not take too much effort to get the barrel shiny so I can see the lands and grooves. I don't bother trying to keep cleaning the gun until the patches come out clean, given that I would be cleaning the gun all day long. Not to mention that overzealous cleaning can do more damage to a bore than any amount of shooting.

If it has been sitting for awhile, I would run a bore brush through it and then follow up with patches. But still, don't expect the patches to ever come out white.

Edited by 7N6Wolf
  • Like 2

I don't have this problem because I just spray some CLP on the ol Boresnake, run that through 3-4 times and I'm done cleaning the barrel, (I shoot non-corrosive ammo). ;)

After just a few passes with the Boresnake, I can see the lands and grooves are nice and shiny; clean. I don't bother pushing patch after patch through hoping that one will eventually emerge snow-white. It's just not necessary and I have better things to do with my time.

ymmv.

+1 on the boresnake. It really clears out the fouling. The only thing I do different is I use Ballistol and let it soak for a while.

For really stubborn jacket fouling, get a can of Wipeout foam and accelerator. 20 mins of waiting, a couple of patches, and it's clean.

• Like 1

Ok then, I guess its clean enough. I dont shoot corrosive stuff either so Im sure its fine. Honestly though, this is the only gun ive ever owned that I cant get a white patch out of. Its probably cleaner now than it has ever been so Ill let it go. now that I know noone else can get it perfect either, It will stop bothering me.

ymmv.

+1 on using CLP with a Hoppe's 30cal BoreSnake... works like a charm.

I am planning on getting a boresnake soon. That will do away with the patches and brushes.

Until then, After a trip to the range, Ill be using a hoppes stainless tornado brush, patches and clp to clean my bore. I usually shoot under 100rds at a time(strict range rules).

QUESTIONS: For the sake of asking, How many times should I run a brush thru my barrel? I could do it 100 times and not be 'clean'

And, just what would over brushing do to your barrel?

Does anyone know of or use solvent called M-Pro 7?

Your expectation of cleanliness is too high. Patches don't come out of a used bore white. They just don't. Barrels never get their cherries back any more than virgins do. Flush it with water to clear the salt if your fired corrosive, brush it a dozen times with solvent (and FFS get a bronze or nylon brush, I prefer Iosso Eliminators most of the time, stainless brushes are a terrible idea) and then run patches through until you can't see any fouling and it comes back not too dirty instead of filthy black. Repeat process if necessary, and if you want, move up to a stronger solvent like Sweets 7.62 (great stuff, USE OUTSIDE). That's all it needs, an AK is not a precision benchrest hand lapped barrel to be fussed over for hours.

For really stubborn jacket fouling, get a can of Wipeout foam and accelerator. 20 mins of waiting, a couple of patches, and it's clean.

I love Wipeout. Used to be a Hoppe's man, but Wipeout does a better job and it doesn't stink up the basement. I pre-clean with Ballistol/H20 if using corrosive but then move to Wipeout.

I run a patch of CLP through the bore when I'm done. It's a good rust preventative and will help new deposits come out easier.

Don't expect a pristine bore, it's an AK, though with a jag and a patch you can get it shiny nearly every time. I worry more about gas tube/block corrosion.

Your expectation of cleanliness is too high. Patches don't come out of a used bore white. They just don't. Barrels never get their cherries back any more than virgins do. Flush it with water to clear the salt if your fired corrosive, brush it a dozen times with solvent (and FFS get a bronze or nylon brush, I prefer Iosso Eliminators most of the time, stainless brushes are a terrible idea) and then run patches through until you can't see any fouling and it comes back not too dirty instead of filthy black. Repeat process if necessary, and if you want, move up to a stronger solvent like Sweets 7.62 (great stuff, USE OUTSIDE). That's all it needs, an AK is not a precision benchrest hand lapped barrel to be fussed over for hours.

You are absolutely right. My expectation was excessive. That was always the test with my deer rifles, when the patch comes out clean you are done. Although I shoot this way more, with way dirtier ammo than I ever did with my hunting rifles. I guess the fact of how dirty the ammo is was in the back of my head, when I was thinking i really needed to get it squeaky clean. Probably dumping the steel brush, I have heard bad things with overuse.

Bore Tech check out the vids in

Krink 40,000 round test & inspection report and Comprehensive Bench Cleaning (ak47 cleaning parts 1 and 2) they even have Ak amorers vids very informative.

great info and the product does work as advertised. i have used it and when you go to clean the next time it is easier and less time needed. i bought small bottles first still haven't gone through them but i don't super bath my weapons like they do. you won't be dissapointed.

http://firearms.atactv.com/

Edited by leadslinger