my diy lefthand handle

Hi guys this is my lefthand cocking handle ,It took about an hour all in .solid ally bar turned down tapped ,drill and tap bolt carrier and then mill a slot out of the top cover .I have not fired the gun yet but it feels great .

Mick

post-32959-0-46927200-1305477699_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Can't find it now... but one of our Buisness Members posted a left side charge handle they had welded on that LOOKED exactly like a factory right side and would take a Tromix bolt on charge handle. I always thought it would look BEAST if someone had em done to match allowing for ambi chargeing with the Tromix handles. Just not sure about the negative effects of the added weight on cycleing, especially with low brass loads.

What size tap and bolt? Grade 8? Metric grade 10? I would fear the bolt shearing off due to the weight of the new handle and the violent movement of the bolt working against the threaded rod. 3/8 grade 8 or 10mm grade 10?

I used a m 6 stainless bolt ,no idea what grade but it is as hard as a hard thing ,if it drops off I will make another one we can call this one a work in progress.

Aggy

Nice looking OP.

Can't find it now... but one of our Buisness Members posted a left side charge handle they had welded on that LOOKED exactly like a factory right side and would take a Tromix bolt on charge handle. I always thought it would look BEAST if someone had em done to match allowing for ambi chargeing with the Tromix handles. Just not sure about the negative effects of the added weight on cycleing, especially with low brass loads.

I'm working on a set of 4 like that. Here's an unfinished one that still needs a bit of shaping;

post-19652-0-34726100-1305530567_thumb.jpg

The left side of the receiver is higher than the right, therefore the left is mounted upside down th keep both handles the same height.

I probably wouldn't run dual bolt ons though.

Pretty heavy.

People have asked for dual vertical charging handles, like they wanted the gun to have stacks like Peterbuilt semis, but damn! That would be just too much so I had to discourage it.

the hardest part was trying to hold the cover without it moving

It's an awkward part to clamp for milling that.

Try a 22mm socket in the cover then you can clamp it from the sides. Only lightly though as not to distort the cover.

Ya mean like this?

post-1293-0-96764400-1305750113_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-13557900-1305750413_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-92167400-1305750508_thumb.jpg

:smoke:

• Like 1

Taken on board what you guys have said ,so the MK2 is born and is way lighter

mick

That is the way to do it! You want the handle as light as it can be so the torque of the reciprocating carrier does not shear it off through metal fatigue.

I start out with .500 OD stainless turn the bottom down to .375 OD X .100 length at the shoulder and press the charging handle .100 into the carrier so it becomes integral. The stainless 1/4 X 28 TPI cap screw only holds the handle into the carrier and does not take any shearing force. Here is a pic of one of the originals. Very light, strong and will not shear off.

That is also a pretty nice system you are doing there Cobra, I overlooked it the first time, had to take a second look!!

Jack

post-11998-0-78043400-1305760911_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys! I'm working on another new design right this minute actually. I'll post pics as soon as it's done. :)

Holy crap Bob is it next month!?? Damn we gotta get Sandi's new car ready for a ROAD TRIP>!

Mine has been good through over a 1000 rnds... I just TIG'd it in place, and it's not the lightest in the world. I just cut down an AK piston I had laying around.

I intentionally left mine long, because on the left I tend to "slap" the handle with the heel of my hand rather than grab it with my index finder as you might on the right.

gallery_20718_478_134907.jpg

I know, the paint is worn and the gun isn't shiny... But she runs like a raped ape.

Edited by Heath_h49008

I had a thread going on my build. But I cant find it now. FAIL webfoo.

Anyway, I had the LHCH added as well... Its a milled down op rod. BC was drilled, handle inserted and TIG together.

So far, it seems to be a huge improvement. Will live fire when I get a chance, with the auto plug installed.

Now to decide if I like it enough to cut up some other real beauties.

Crappy pic sorry. FAIL fohtog

PICT1216-1.jpg

Edited by gripnS12

Has anyone tryed to use a Fal charging handle setup? Just mill a set of rails and attach to the dustcover.

Edited by ARMOR

I'm considering developing a thin, triangular charging handle that would run along the top of the carrier, but I'm not sure the clearance there, and it would likely impose on other's patents if I tried to sell it.

Edited by SirROFL