I got some good news the other day, I have a family farm apparently that my uncle lives on that is about 250 acres. My uncle jimmy passed away and left me about 250 rounds of winchester super x ammo for the rifle and a military grade ammo can. And I am pretty sure what seems to be a original issue M1a steel military magazine. The best part is they have a pond on the property apparently that is full of snapping turtles that come up and eat the baby canadian geese. So basically it is open season on snapping turtles at the family farm. Hopefully I will be going down with the saiga here in the next couple of months to give the turtles a what for. Most of what my uncle is using is just 22 long rifle on them and seems to work well, hate to see what the 7.62 does to them.

Has anyone in here been turtle hunting and whats the biggest one you have seen. Are these things edible or is it gonna taste like ass.

I dont like either because where my uncle lives you can see alligator snapping turtles as big as a damn washing machine. Granted I hate geese too so I guess it is a win win situation.

Edited by dashowdy

If you want to get rid of the turtles you need use a ocean fishing hook, 1/4 steel leed about 10' long and heavy rope bait them with pork chunks. tie the hook to the leed then the leed to the rope and the rope to a tree. If you try to tie the hook to the rope the turtle will bit thru it that it why you need the steel. Once you catch one you need to find some where to pt it to clean it out(I dont mean gut it) turtles are dirty animals what I do is,I have a spring house and I can put the turtles in and put a cover on it and weight it down so they dont push the cover off and let them set for 8 to 10 days in fresh moving water. You can use a oid bathtube and a hose this way you clean the meat if not it taste like shit trust me its worth it, I will get hold of my dad later and he has a recipe where you fry it like a chicken and it is great.

Edited by SCHULTZE
  • Like 1

If you want to get rid of the turtles you need use a ocean fishing hook, 1/4 steel leed about 10' long and heavy rope bait them with pork chunks. tie the hook to the leed then the leed to the rope and the rope to a tree. If you try to tie the hook to the rope the turtle will bit thru it that it why you need the steel. Once you catch one you need to find some where to pt it to clean it out(I dont mean gut it) turtles are dirty animals what I do is,I have a spring house and I can put the turtles in and put a cover on it and weight it down so they dont push the cover off and let them set for 8 to 10 days in fresh moving water. You can use a oid bathtube and a hose this way you clean the meat if not it taste like shit trust me its worth it, I will get hold of my dad later and he has a recipe where you fry it like a chicken and it is great.

Great reply! More than I ever knew about snapping turtles. Nothing like the voice of experience. THanks!

• Like 1

huge help schultze, allthough truthfully I am talking about so many that they really are not interested in eating them. I might if I am feeling froggy but truthfully if I can find a big enough one I might just have Him stuffed and mounted so he can be my new conversation piece. Besides what is the fun in not getting to use the saiga. We will probably go hunting for them later in the evening once they are out of the water.

huge help schultze, allthough truthfully I am talking about so many that they really are not interested in eating them. I might if I am feeling froggy but truthfully if I can find a big enough one I might just have Him stuffed and mounted so he can be my new conversation piece. Besides what is the fun in not getting to use the saiga. We will probably go hunting for them later in the evening once they are out of the water.

I don't know about having one stuffed, but I have seen a cleaned, hollowed out shell made into a foot stool. Not very practical, but it was a cool conversation piece.

I got some good news the other day, I have a family farm apparently that my uncle lives on that is about 250 acres. My uncle jimmy passed away and left me about 250 rounds of winchester super x ammo for the rifle and a military grade ammo can. And I am pretty sure what seems to be a original issue M1a steel military magazine. The best part is they have a pond on the property apparently that is full of snapping turtles that come up and eat the baby canadian geese. So basically it is open season on snapping turtles at the family farm. Hopefully I will be going down with the saiga here in the next couple of months to give the turtles a what for. Most of what my uncle is using is just 22 long rifle on them and seems to work well, hate to see what the 7.62 does to them.

Has anyone in here been turtle hunting and whats the biggest one you have seen. Are these things edible or is it gonna taste like ass.

where ya live dash??

Reason I asked, I have seen more Snapping Turtles this year than I can remember seeing in a LOOOOONG time. It must be all this rain we have gotten.

The spot is in eastern north carolina, these are just common snapping turtles. The large alligator snappers live around in the swamps along the highways in between bertie and hertford counties. They are not big fans of ponds of this size. They prefer the swamp, larger prey for there enormous size. That is one I definitely would not want to run into.

Bean apparently so, The geese are really plentiful here as well as the fish so they pretty much have a limitless amount of food. Due to climate change I guess some estimated 100,000 geese never migrate out of north carolina.

Canadian geese are a plague. Go Turtles!

Not a fan of snapping turtles, either, but the only good goose is one well roasted with an orange marmalade/orange liqueur glaze. Om nom nom nom nom!

However, here's a recipe for turtle soup from Mr. BAM! himself, Emeril Lagasse: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/turtle-soup-recipe/index.html