flash hider crooked

I recently got my barrel threaded and the Hungarian AMD-65 surplus flash hider (pictured below) screws on crooked. The 14x1LH thread protector I have screws on fine and a different Tapco flash hider my friend had screws on fine. Could I have gotten a bad AMD-65 flash hider, or are my eyes just playing tricks on me?

SIDE

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

Edited by MrSaiga223

If the other flash hiders go on straight then I'd say yes, this thing is off. Kinda hard for my old eyes to tell. Still, if the bullet doesn't hit it, you should be good to go. It's just a matter of the hole not quite straight before they tapped it.

I can't tell by the pic, but if the rear face of the flash hider is not seated up against a shoulder on the barrel, then it's not going to be very straight. You may be able to add a peal washer behind the hider so you can tighten it up against the barrel shoulder.....if there is one.

It's never good to thread a barrel where the diameter of the barrel is the same as the OD of the thread. You want the OD of the thread to be smaller, so there is a shoulder left for the muzzle device to butt up against.

Tony

If the other flash hiders go on straight then I'd say yes, this thing is off. Kinda hard for my old eyes to tell. Still, if the bullet doesn't hit it, you should be good to go. It's just a matter of the hole not quite straight before they tapped it.

If the bullet hits it you and your rifle are in for a surprise. :eek:

Well I got a chance to test it out today at the range and luckily none of the bullets made contact with the flash hider to my knowledge. I'm pretty sure I would have known. It was shooting a little to the right today though using the irons (not sure whether it was me, the wind, the muzzle device, or some other extenuating circumstance). All in all though it shot fairly well at 50 yards seeing as how I am not the most proficient with the iron sights I was able to put 17/20 in a 3" circle so I'm pleased! Thanks for the responses.

If the bullet hits it you and your rifle are in for a surprise. :eek:

Yeah, I shoulda clarified that a bit. Make sure the bullet won't hit before you fire it. Still, I'd think it would have to be pretty crooked before you'd have to worry about that.

Well I got a chance to test it out today at the range and luckily none of the bullets made contact with the flash hider to my knowledge. I'm pretty sure I would have known. It was shooting a little to the right today though using the irons (not sure whether it was me, the wind, the muzzle device, or some other extenuating circumstance). All in all though it shot fairly well at 50 yards seeing as how I am not the most proficient with the iron sights I was able to put 17/20 in a 3" circle so I'm pleased! Thanks for the responses.

Good to hear. Glad it worked out for you.

Yeah, I shoulda clarified that a bit. Make sure the bullet won't hit before you fire it. Still, I'd think it would have to be pretty crooked before you'd have to worry about that.

Good to hear. Glad it worked out for you.

Thanks, I decided to put a different flash hider on there and it is definitely as straight as an arrow! No worries about this one. Thanks again!

flash3.jpg

flash2.jpg