First conversion attempt

Hello all new to the site and looking for a bit of information. I have found some answers to a few of my questions but the rest I need some help.

First one is can I change the gas block on the Saiga 223/5.56 to a AK47 style? My intended goals for my Saiga 223/5.56 is getting it as close to the original style

Russian AK47 as I can. Yes with the wood stock and hand guard but I am thinking of going with the Mac 90 style stock (I know not Russian style). All the AK wood stocks I have tried are small and when shouldering the rifle it does not feel correct, but I manage.

Edited by Whiskey

Yes you can change out your gas tube for the traditional AK style, but from everything I've read or heard it is a huge PITA! Welcome to the forum BTW :super:

Thank you for the welcome! I have not seen anything to read on this yet, but just as long as I know that the information is out there I will keep looking, thanks.

Well some people use a dremel, but from my experience a pipe cutter works best, it just takes 10 times longer. The barrel threading tutorial that is sticky'd in this forum will tell you everything you need to know about that. It is not nearly as hard as replacing the FSB or gas tube though.

wow that gas block removal was so hard to find, I almost gave up. Anyways, it looks a bit tricky and I may go to deep and drill into the barrel. I may drop that portion of the build unless I find a gunsmith to do it for a reasonable cost. The trigger instal and relocation I can do and the threading I find to be an easy task, thanks MrSaiga.

For now I may go with just an vented AK gas tube and look for some wood hand guards, along with a lower handguard bracket, G2 trigger relocation, the AK muzzel brake with the AK wood stock and grip. Yes I will be getting them all American made for the compliance.

Edited by Whiskey

If you're going the gunsmith route, consider the AK-100 series look for the gas block... http://www.rifledynamics.com/services/bolton_gas_block.php

I think to order this, you just call and order. It's like $100 if I remember correctly.

Maybe try Tapco Timbersmith wood for a NATO length stock? Just throwing that out there...

Gas Tube is NOT a big deal... Gas block is gunsmith territory in my opinion.

For a muzzle device, make sure you thread carefully- a TAT is a MUST. Also consider having a machinist turn down the threads for you at 1/2x28- LOTS more "AR" muzzle devices out there...

Welcome to the addiction!

Cool, thanks Bohound... I'm looking to get as close to the Russian AK47 look as I can according to my state laws. That was the reason for the AK47 muzzle brake but I need to talk to a gunsmith first. I did get caught up in the conversion. In CT the muzzle brake on the barrel, but it must be permanently fixed to the barrel, along with no flash suppressors allowed at all. I have seen the AK74 front sight and the muzzle brakes threaded to the front sight which makes it legal. So as of now it looks like this is out, until I dwell deeper into the legal aspect of it.

Edited by Whiskey

Looks like before I do anything I need to install the muzzle brake permanently first before restoring it back to what it was. According to what I have found out through CT laws and other CT people..

• 2 weeks later...

Going to wait on the muzzle brake and the gas block for now. Looks like its going to be more work than I expected for me. Just going to do the basic trigger group move, AK furniture with the retainers , mag conversion, and maybe the bullet guide.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes you can change out your gas tube for the traditional AK style, but from everything I've read or heard it is a huge PITA! Welcome to the forum BTW :super:

Thank you for the welcome! I have not seen anything to read on this yet, but just as long as I know that the information is out there I will keep looking, thanks.

CSS has a gas tube you can throw AK HG's on for $30. I'm doing the same thing and this saves hours of labor and quite a bit of money. I'm all for DIY, but this is pretty sweet.

CSS Gas Tube

They also have a ventilated model, but I'm not sure what difference the ventilation makes.